moderated Missing email notifications again, about Files? #bug

Andy

I think this happened a few months ago too.  Why is it happening again?  Did it happen because of the changes made tonight to the "From" address in group notifications?

Earlier this evening, a group member in my group made several file uploads, deletions, and updates.  As Moderator, I should have received automatic emails (sent to me) about each of those actions.  I received some, but not all.  The ones I am missing happened in the middle, so I think they aren't coming.  Either that, or they are "stuck" and newer messages are going around them.  It's been about 3 hours now since I should have received the missing email(s).

EDT times:

8:18 pm, files were uploaded.
8:23 pm, I received the email about these uploads.

9:13 pm, the above files were deleted by their uploader.
9:21 pm, I received the email about these deletions.

9:17 pm, new subdirectory created.
9:17 pm, files uploaded into the new subdirectory.
No email was received about them.
Note there was a missed opportunity in the email I received at 9:21 about the other files that were deleted at 9:13; but that email at 9:21 did not mention the new uploads of 9:17.

10:54 pm, files uploaded into the first directory, apparently by accident.
10:55 pm, these newly uploaded files were deleted.
10:56 pm, one file was updated in the newer subdirectory.
11:02 pm, I received an email about these uploads, deletions, and update that happened between 10:54 and 10:56 pm.

It looks like things collided around 9:13 - 9:17 pm, before the email went out at 9:21.  In the process, the information about the 9:17 uploads was lost, and only the 9:13 actions made it into the email.

Not a big deal, but it might help if timestamps were attached to each action.  Trying to trace actions that happened some time before the email about them, is somewhat tedious.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 05:40 AM, Andy wrote:
it might help if timestamps were attached to each action.  Trying to trace actions that happened some time before the email about them, is somewhat tedious.
I agree. Especially useful when multiple notifications are in one email due to the notification combiner. The timestamps here should the same as those in the Activity Log.

Regards
Andy

Hi Andy,

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 9:40 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

9:17 pm, new subdirectory created.
9:17 pm, files uploaded into the new subdirectory.
No email was received about them.
Note there was a missed opportunity in the email I received at 9:21 about the other files that were deleted at 9:13; but that email at 9:21 did not mention the new uploads of 9:17.

What happened was he uploaded a directory. One of the files in the directory was an image, which your group is set to not allow in the Files area. The code was set to immediately return on this error condition, which prevented a notification from being sent out about the already-uploaded files in the directory. I've changed the code so that it just ignores the image and continues.

Thanks,
Mark 

Andy

Mark, thank you for your explanation.

Today, I am still not receiving all file notifications.  Does Groups.io not sent a File Notification to a Moderator if that Moderator was the one who uploaded the file?

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 03:57 PM, Andy wrote:
Does Groups.io not sent a File Notification to a Moderator if that Moderator was the one who uploaded the file?
No, that was changed a while back. A mod does not receive notifications about their own changes.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 04:24 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
No, that was changed a while back. A mod does not receive notifications about their own changes.
I think I stand corrected. It's the push notifications you shouldn't receive (#25569)

Regards
Andy

Andy

So it remains that mods do not receive an email notification about files they uploaded, and it's been like that since forever, right?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 05:07 PM, Andy wrote:
So it remains that mods do not receive an email notification about files they uploaded,
I think I will correct myself again. I had my owner and mod account messages under one Outlook profile so when I made a change from my own account, I saw the notification that was sent to my Mod account.  So, I revert to my original statement that you don't get a notification for your own actions, whether that is files or photos etc.   The thing that also gets me at times is the delay of issuing these notifications due to the combiner.  I believe this all dates back to around 2020 and discussions about the amount of notifications received (and the introduction of the combiner). Prior to that, I seem to recall getting a single notification for each action chosen in the Moderator Notifications section of your subscription settings.

Regards
Andy

Hi All,

Moderators do not get notifications about their own actions. That includes email as well as push notifications.

Cheers,
Mark

Andy

Thanks.

But moderators do receive notifications about the actions of their co-moderators, right?

Sorry for all the "noise".

Thanks,
Andy

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 10:04 AM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

But moderators do receive notifications about the actions of their co-moderators, right?

That is correct.

Cheers,
Mark