moderated #misc Disappearing Database #misc

Pamela Tatt

I had a very important database with our Charity Calendar for the year - consisting of 49 entries
This morning when I went to check something there are only 7 entries ????

There is nothing in my activity log to indicate what has happened.  The time of last edit is 6 something am.  I was not online at that time.  BTW I am in Queensland, Australia.

I realise I will have to redo all of the entries -- not a problem as such except a waste of valuable time.  The reason I am reporting this is because I do not want it to happen again!

Thanks for reading,
Pamela Tatt
Knit4Charities Inc

Pamela Tatt

I have just discovered that a group member who is not a moderator or owner of our group has deleted all but 7 rows of the above mentioned database.

How can this happen???  I have written to her asking why but whether I get an answer or not is questionable.

Kind regards,
Pamela

Pete Cook

Pamela, it can happen if the database's permissions are set to allow members to edit it. Click on the database and then click "Edit Table Properties" to view the settings.

Pete

Pamela Tatt

Thanks Pete but all permissions are set to moderator etc only.

I am the only one who creates any database on our list and only have 3 very trusted moderators who have permission to edit.

It is a mystery that an 'ordinary' member was able to do this.

Duane

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 09:23 PM, Pamela Tatt wrote:
I am the only one who creates any database on our list and only have 3 very trusted moderators who have permission to edit.
There are permissions on the group settings page that you're probably looking at.  There are also permissions for each table as you create it.  If you create a table, but don't change its permissions, the default is that members can edit the table and rows.  I'd double check those as Pete suggested.  It sounds like you may have forgotten to change them on that table.

Duane

Pamela Tatt

Sorry Duane, my settings were correct -- all set to moderators only can edit.  Members can only view.

I create many databases and I am very careful to get the settings correct.  I honestly cannot understand how this could have happened and I do not believe the offending members (according to the activity log) would have any reason to be vindictive enough to cause this problem.  I was hoping that someone (Mark or one of his minions) would see if they could work out what happened.

Never mind -- I will go it alone and sort things out.
Thanks for your input.

Pete Cook

I have to say, this is dang strange. I hope you'll let us know when you solve the mystery!

Pete

Pamela,

This is a little baffling. It turns out that the edit database permission was not checked before bulk deleting database rows. But this should not have been an issue, because your member should never have been shown the red 'Delete Rows' button when viewing the database rows. So she should never have been able to have sent the request to the server to bulk delete rows. And yet somehow she did.

I have added a permission check when bulk deleting rows, to verify that you have permission to delete the row.

I would be curious to hear what she says about it. I wonder if she's running some weird firewall that looks for form submissions in web pages and clicks on them.

Pamela Tatt

Mark I was going to give up but did some more investigating this morning.  The deletion of rows shows up on the groups activity log but DOES NOT show on the members individual activity log.

I have just received a message from this member saying "I have not been on my computer for at least the past 24 hours so am not sure how I could possibly have done this.
Nor would I have a clue as to how to do such a thing."

It is a complete mystery to me!  I will ask what system she is running but if she is like most of our members she will not be very computer literate, so fingers crossed.

Thank you for looking into this mystery.
Pamela

Any chance the app is incorrectly showing the "Delete Rows" button, and she butt-deleted them?

Just throwing out ideas....

JohnF

Pamela Tatt

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 04:13 AM, JohnF wrote:
Any chance the app is incorrectly showing the "Delete Rows" button, and she butt-deleted them?

Just throwing out ideas....

JohnF

 On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 04:13 AM, JohnF wrote:
Any chance the app is incorrectly showing the "Delete Rows" button, and she butt-deleted them?

Just throwing out ideas....

JohnF

 John the person concerned says she was not on the computer at the time this happened and has not been on the database page for several weeks.

Mark, I have asked her some questions and following are the answers.  Her son works with computers and apparently knows his way around them -- I could not get to speak to him unfortunately.

 'I have had an in depth discussion with my son and he is of the opinion that it is not "at my end" that the problem lies.
He has asked why you have had to re do the data base.  Do you not have a backup?
Also, is there not an  IP Address associated with the command to delete?  This would tell us where the instruction originated.

My son says it is a very complicated area but the ip address which is attached to all computers would be able to tell us where the command came from eg China, India or Sunshine Coast. Somehow, my email address has been attached to a command to delete, without me being involved.!

I did run my anti virus yesterday and got a "no threats found" result.  Just to make 100% sure that I am in the clear, I asked my son to run his latest and up to date anti virus programme (he can access my computer as a team viewer) that he uses for work and that has come up with the same "no threats detected" result.'

I hope you can get to the bottom of this as I would hate it to happen to anyone else.
Thanks for everything you do,
Pamela

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 3:22 PM Pamela Tatt <knittingpam@...> wrote:

 'I have had an in depth discussion with my son and he is of the opinion that it is not "at my end" that the problem lies.
He has asked why you have had to re do the data base.  Do you not have a backup?
Also, is there not an  IP Address associated with the command to delete?  This would tell us where the instruction originated.

The deletes came from the same IP address that she has used at other times to access the site. It's a telstra.net IP address, from Queensland, Australia.

Mark

Pamela Tatt

Thanks Mark, I will pass this on.

Kind regards,
Pamela

Andy

Oops, "Private" reply didn't work.  Message was deleted, but already broadcast via email.