moderated #misc Bad bounces #misc

Al

I have been trying to investigate posts *to* (not from) groups.io that are bouncing. I was initially getting a HELO error but after changing some settings in postfix (mail agent running on Debian 10), I seem to have progressed to this:

May 13 20:47:50 REDACTED postfix/smtp[21755]: EB5E923448: to=<REDACTED@groups.io>, relay=lb01.groups.io[45.79.81.153]:25, delay=5.9, delays=0.12/0.04/5.5/0.19, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host lb01.groups.io[45.79.81.153] said: 500 Bad bounce (in reply to RCPT TO command))

The email is being sent from an address that is a member of the group, and emails to other individual email addresses complete with no errors. Even did some email spam tests and it seems to be getting pretty good marks on those. Only groups.io is having an issue.

Nothing shows up under "Activity" in the groups.io admin menu (which I would consider to be a bug, since bounces should be showing up there), so there is really no further information about what this "500 Bad bounce" actually means. It doesn't seem to a standard terminology I can find. Can someone familiar with what causes this condition elaborate on it? Thank you!

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 2:20 PM Al <exchange.interlinked@...> wrote:
I have been trying to investigate posts *to* (not from) groups.io that are bouncing. I was initially getting a HELO error but after changing some settings in postfix (mail agent running on Debian 10), I seem to have progressed to this:

May 13 20:47:50 REDACTED postfix/smtp[21755]: EB5E923448: to=<REDACTED@groups.io>, relay=lb01.groups.io[45.79.81.153]:25, delay=5.9, delays=0.12/0.04/5.5/0.19, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host lb01.groups.io[45.79.81.153] said: 500 Bad bounce (in reply to RCPT TO command))

We reply with that if you have not sent a MAIL FROM: line first during the SMTP transaction. Generally that's a sign of a spammer. Could that be what you were doing?

Al

The actual mail body I'm sending has From as the first header. I'm using a PHP function and the mail command, which just invokes the system sendmail:

I could definitely be doing something else wrong, but my understanding is that postfix would just accept that information from here and pass it through directly.

$headers ="From: REDACTED \r\n" .
"Sender: REDACTED \r\n" .
$parameters = " -f \r\n";
mail($to, $subject, $body, $headers, $parameters);

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 2:51 PM Al <exchange.interlinked@...> wrote:
The actual mail body I'm sending has From as the first header. I'm using a PHP function and the mail command, which just invokes the system sendmail:

I could definitely be doing something else wrong, but my understanding is that postfix would just accept that information from here and pass it through directly.

I've never used Postfix, so I can't help you there. An empty MAIL FROM generally means a bounce message. Which is fine if it's got an RCPT TO one of our bounce addresses. Otherwise, it's a delivery status notification being sent to a group and we don't accept those.

Mark

Bruce Bowman

Al -- I set up an email integration and post all my formmail to that. Never had a problem...you might want to look into that option.

Regards,
Bruce