Topics

moderated Minor notification changes #update

Hi All,

I've made a couple small changes. The following notification hashtags have been changed:

• #file is now #file-notice
  • #photo is now #photo-notice
  • #chat is now #chat-notice
  • #wiki is now #wiki-notice
  • #poll is now #poll-notice

Also, in the Hashtags page, I've changed the Edit link to Mute/Notify or Follow/Notify, depending on your subscription settings.

I appreciate the discussion on notifications. It's clear some additional controls/changes are needed. Please keep the discussion going.

Thanks, Mark

Chris Jones

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 12:58 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
The following notification hashtags have been changed:
Has this change been reverted? I cannot find any in the #xxxx-notice format now, and I definitely saw them yesterday.

Chris

Chris,

Has this change been reverted? I cannot find any in the *#xxxx-notice*
format now, and I definitely saw them yesterday.
What has been reverted is the default check for the Notify Members box on file uploads. So maybe the notifications just aren't happening in your group now.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/25463

Shal

Chris Jones

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 01:42 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
So maybe the notifications just aren't happening in your group now.
I'm not sure why that should matter. Just after this process started someone did a couple of photo uploads and I did a wiki edit, all of which were notified in the format without -notice. After Mark's changes I'm certain that I had a look and the -notice had been added to the hashtags, but now it has vanished again.

Unless of course I imagined the whole thing... :(

I'll try a couple of test uploads later.

Chris

Chris,

After Mark's changes I'm certain that I had a look and the /-notice/
had been added to the hashtags, but now it has vanished again.
Oh! I misunderstood you. Now I see what you mean.

I think what happened is that the Hashtag pages now have both spellings if the feature was used in your group during both intervals of time.

That is, Mark didn't rename the old #wiki into #wiki-notices, he just added the new one internally, and it gets created in the group when used.

At least that's what I see in GMF - There are both spellings in the list/grid view, with the #wiki hashtag listing only the one topic created while it existed, and the #wiki-notice hashtag listing the two that have posted since.

I should probably instantiate all the other new spellings manually, and adjust them all to use the orange color I put on the old ones and have a description. After the dust settles again I can probably alias the old ones out of the list.

Shal

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 07:07 AM, Shal Farley wrote:

That is, Mark didn't rename the old #wiki into #wiki-notices, he just added the new one internally, and it gets created in the group when used.
I have a moderated #wiki hashtag defined in my testing subgroup from the first incarnation of these and no #wiki-notice. I just updated a wiki page and I see a pending message with a #wiki-notice tag that is sent out if I approve it. However, a new #wiki-notice hashtag is not created, the new message shows as an extra message tied to the old #wiki hashtag.

Andy

Chris Jones

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 07:07 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
Aha; I think I can now see where I managed to mislead myself; sorry Mark!!

Aslo thanks to Andy W for his point.

These points triggered me into investigating an action that others might want to consider.

If a group owner or moderator sets up the -notice hashtags in anticipation of their use then those tags can be preset to be "Moderators Only" (to prevent their use by members other than by triggering a notification) and set them to "No Email" should that be the preferred option.

However, setting to No Email requires a small action on Mark's part... please!

Notification messages read... This email message is a notification... etc. Can I request that the word "email" be removed, because if a moderator sets the hashtag to No Email then no email is generated, risking leaving members who see the web UI to wonder why they didn't get an email.

Chris

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 1:26 AM Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

However, setting to No Email requires a small action on Mark's part... please!

Notification messages read... This email message is a notification... etc. Can I request that the word "email" be removed, because if a moderator sets the hashtag to No Email then no email is generated, risking leaving members who see the web UI to wonder why they didn't get an email.

I have removed 'email message' from that sentence in the notifications. I have also changed the subject lines of the file and photo notifications to include the file name/photo name if possible (ie. if only one file or photo were uploaded).

Cheers,
Mark