Topics

Messages / topics terminology is confusing #suggestion

Rachel Cherry

Is there a difference between messages and topics?

Because my group finds having a menu item that says "Messages" and then you create a "New Topic" vs a "New Message" to be confusing.

Can we change "New Topic" to say "New Message"?

--
Rachel Cherry
@bamadesigner

Duane

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 09:23 AM, Rachel Cherry wrote:
Is there a difference between messages and topics?
Messages are the individual messages that are sent/posted.  Topics are a collection of messages that are (or should be) related.  New Topic is for starting a new collection.  It used to say New Message, but people were using that instead of Reply, thus starting a new collection/topic instead of continuing the original topic/thread.

Duane

Agree with Duane, it really needs to say "New Topic." In case you're still confused, you can think of topics as threads (they are, as Duane says, "collections," but they're threaded collections).

Chris Jones

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 03:23 PM, Rachel Cherry wrote:
Is there a difference between messages and topics?
Yes; firstly see what Duane said. Then see J_Catlady's it really needs to say "New Topic".

If there had to be a name change (and no, I'm not suggesting one!) it might be clearer if New Topic read New Subject; think of it that way. Individual Messages relate to a Topic with a given Subject line and are (or ought to be) about the same general point. When someone has a new subject to raise then they use New Topic.

Chris

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 07:56 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
it might be clearer if New Topic read New Subject;
I see your reasoning, and I know you're not suggesting it, but please! Let's not even *think* about going there!

Rachel Cherry

Thanks for the clarification.

We just moved over from Googe Groups and while I still think it was the right call to move (because Google was so limiting) our group has gone pretty dark. I think there's some confusion about the UX. And while I love the options, dare I say the vast amount of settings might be a bit too much for most. It's a learning curve I hope they'll see the value in trying to figure out.

But if you ever do any user testing I have some audience for you. :)

--
Rachel Cherry
@bamadesigner

You and your group members only need to use the bare minimum of settings. Also, join the GMF group if you haven't already. That's the place for basic user questions and help.

That said, maybe the documentation (which is currently underway) should include one of those "quick set-up" guides, with nothing but the basics, for new users.