moderated Message sent but also left in Drafts #misc

Andy I

I'm not sure if it's a bug.  Well, it is, but it might be an unlikely glitch.

Half an hour ago I sent a message (a reply) in one of my groups.  It seemed to go through normally.  (It did.)

Later I came back to the group's webpage, and there is a message from me waiting in Drafts.  It looks like the same one I sent.  Thinking that I must have forgotten to click "Send" earlier, or that it didn't work before, I clicked "Send".  This resulted in two identical messages from me, half an hour apart.

I'm guessing this was caused by another system glitch of some sort, resulting in the message being sent but also left in Drafts.  They were truly identical, so the one that was saved in Drafts was the one I also sent.

Andy

Donald Hellen

Andy . . .

On Wed, 05 Oct 2022 21:47:05 -0700, "Andy I" <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

I'm guessing this was caused by another system glitch of some sort, resulting in the message being sent but also left in Drafts. They were truly identical, so the one that was saved in Drafts was the one I also sent.
Did the draft clear the system after the second send?

Donald

Andy I

On Thu, Oct 6, 2022 at 12:20 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
Did the draft clear the system after the second send?

It did.  That's why I think this might have been another system glitch.  It's not repeatable.

Andy

Hi Andy,

On Thu, Oct 6, 2022 at 5:20 AM Andy I <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
I'm not sure if it's a bug.  Well, it is, but it might be an unlikely glitch.

Half an hour ago I sent a message (a reply) in one of my groups.  It seemed to go through normally.  (It did.)

Later I came back to the group's webpage, and there is a message from me waiting in Drafts.  It looks like the same one I sent.  Thinking that I must have forgotten to click "Send" earlier, or that it didn't work before, I clicked "Send".  This resulted in two identical messages from me, half an hour apart.

It looks like you sent a couple different messages at that time. What was the subject of the message that caused the extra draft?

Andy I

On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 04:18 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It looks like you sent a couple different messages at that time. What was the subject of the message that caused the extra draft?

I think they were identical.  The topic's subject was "increase dV/dt and dI/dt Transients from Switching Circuits".  The first was sent around 12:05 AM and the second around 12:32 AM local time, so around 9:05 and 9:32 PM Pacific time, October 5 (Oct. 6 in my time zone).  The one sent around 12:05 AM or 9:05 PM left the extra copy in Drafts.  I deleted the second one after making sure it was a duplicate.

Andy

Andy,

On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 2:25 PM Andy I <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
I think they were identical.  The topic's subject was "increase dV/dt and dI/dt Transients from Switching Circuits".  The first was sent around 12:05 AM and the second around 12:32 AM local time, so around 9:05 and 9:32 PM Pacific time, October 5 (Oct. 6 in my time zone).  The one sent around 12:05 AM or 9:05 PM left the extra copy in Drafts.  I deleted the second one after making sure it was a duplicate.

Ok, I had a chance to look through the logs. You started the reply to that message at 20:57:27 pacific time. At 20:57:38, we get another initial POST request to the /reply endpoint which is how we initiate a reply (it's what's called when you click the Reply button). So, at that point we create a second draft. Then at 20:57:58, you started writing your reply, with the draft that was created at 20:57:27.

Do you remember if you were jumping around web pages at that time (using the back button, opening pages in new tabs, etc)?

Andy I

On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 01:13 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Do you remember if you were jumping around web pages at that time (using the back button, opening pages in new tabs, etc)?

I do not use the back button in a page while editing.  I probably had a few web browser tabs open, on different sites (or different places under the same website).  It's not unusual for me to switch around between tabs.  I don't know if that's what you mean.

I suppose I could have clicked "Reply" more than once.  In many cases with Groups.io, clicking Reply does not open up the edit box, or I get just the edit box but not the toolbar buttons across the top.  I might have assumed that "it didn't work" so I tried again.  But if two replies were running, it seems odd (well, to me, anyway) that both drafts would contain the same exact text.

Andy