Message can't be sent and can't be deleted #bug

Andy

I sent a short message in one of my groups via the web interface.  But I think it did not actually sent.  After clicking "Send", Groups.io immediately brought be to the page that lists all my group subscriptions.

Now, Drafts shows that there is one message in Drafts, which is the one I thought I sent.  But if I click on that message to open it, I get an error, "That message number does not exist."

So, now I have that reply from me, sitting in Drafts, impossible to send, and no way to open it without an error.  Is it just doomed?

I think what happened is that the sender of the message I was replying to, deleted their message immediately before I sent my reply to it.  So now my reply lives in hyperspace with no way to access it.  I guess I can probably still discard it from Drafts (didn't try yet), but I wanted to do something with it before blindly deleting it, sight-unseen.

Andy

Chris Jones

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 11:10 PM, Andy wrote:
I guess I can probably still discard it from Drafts (didn't try yet)
I tried that on a test group and it worked, but the checkbox needs to be "checked" first. An alternative (another test!) the message can be "opened" and discarded from there.

Caveat; I did not delete the message I was "replying to" first.

Chris

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 03:10 PM, Andy wrote:
I think what happened is that the sender of the message I was replying to, deleted their message immediately before I sent my reply to it.
That should be easy to check from the activity log.

Andy

Checking the checkbox didn't help.

I think the key thing here is replying to a message that someone else deletes before you get to send your reply.  Then your reply goes into hyperspace.

(Yes, I did see that the message I was replying to, had been deleted -- which is why I said it had been deleted.  And that my reply to it is not in the logs.  My reply is just sitting there in Drafts with no way to open it.)

Andy

Donald Hellen

Andy . . .

On Fri, 28 May 2021 14:23:54 -0700, "Andy" <AI.egrps+io@gmail.com>
wrote:

I guess I can probably still discard it from Drafts (didn't try yet), but I wanted to do something with it before blindly deleting it, sight-unseen.
Maybe you can copy and paste from the draft into a new message?

Andy

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 07:33 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
Maybe you can copy and paste from the draft into a new message?

Yes, that is exactly what I want to do.

But as I say, I can't!

Groups.io prevents me from opening the draft.  That's why I am calling this a bug, the fact that the draft can not be opened as a draft anymore.  It's dead.  It is still there, but it is inaccessible.

Andy

Andy

I did the only thing I could do --  checked the checkbox, then clicked Discard.  At least that still works.  Nothing else worked.  There was no way for me to open the draft and restore or copy its contents to a new message.

Andy

Glenn Glazer

On 05/28/2021 19:08, Andy wrote:
I did the only thing I could do --  checked the checkbox, then clicked Discard.  At least that still works.  Nothing else worked.  There was no way for me to open the draft and restore or copy its contents to a new message.

Andy

This is not what I would recommend except under extreme circumstances, but what you are looking at is a webpage. You could always have your browser "view source" and copy it out of the HTML...

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

Andy

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 10:21 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
This is not what I would recommend except under extreme circumstances, but what you are looking at is a webpage. You could always have your browser "view source" and copy it out of the HTML...

I don't follow what you're saying.  What would I copy from the webpage?  I don't think there is anything to copy.  The contents of the message that is in Drafts is hidden, because groups.io will not open that message for me when I click on it.  Or are you suggesting that the body of the message is actually there, in undisplayed HTML code, even before I click on the message to try to open it?  That seems unlikely.

Regardless, the problem remains that I think this is a Bug.  There ought to be a way for any Groups.io subscriber to retrieve their un-sent message from Drafts (without having to resort to extracting it from hidden HTML code when they haven't even opened the message yet).

Andy

Glenn Glazer

On 05/28/2021 19:45, Andy wrote:
On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 10:21 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
This is not what I would recommend except under extreme circumstances, but what you are looking at is a webpage. You could always have your browser "view source" and copy it out of the HTML...

I don't follow what you're saying.  What would I copy from the webpage?  I don't think there is anything to copy.  The contents of the message that is in Drafts is hidden, because groups.io will not open that message for me when I click on it.  Or are you suggesting that the body of the message is actually there, in undisplayed HTML code, even before I click on the message to try to open it?  That seems unlikely.

Which is why it wouldn't be my first recommendation. It might work, it might not.

Regardless, the problem remains that I think this is a Bug.  There ought to be a way for any Groups.io subscriber to retrieve their un-sent message from Drafts (without having to resort to extracting it from hidden HTML code when they haven't even opened the message yet).

Andy

Agreed.

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 3:10 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
I sent a short message in one of my groups via the web interface.  But I think it did not actually sent.  After clicking "Send", Groups.io immediately brought be to the page that lists all my group subscriptions.

Now, Drafts shows that there is one message in Drafts, which is the one I thought I sent.  But if I click on that message to open it, I get an error, "That message number does not exist."

If you haven't deleted the draft yet, please let me know what group this is, and I'll fix the bug.

Andy

Mark, I did delete the draft.

But don't you agree that it is a bug that we can't send or open the Draft?

Either it should have sent when I clicked "Send", or I should be able to open it, view its contents, and copy it to a new message.  Did you fix that bug?  Or are you letting it remain?

Andy

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 1:15 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
Mark, I did delete the draft.

But don't you agree that it is a bug that we can't send or open the Draft?

I did indeed refer to it as a bug. I was hoping your draft was still there so I could save some time instead of trying to reproduce it myself.

Mark

Andy

Sorry, I misunderstood.  (I thought you were offering to 'fix' the broken Draft and nothing more.  I waited a day or two, then deleted the Draft.)

Andy