Topics

Message Cam Be Approved While Another Owner is Rejecting #bug

Ed Moser

I have had this happen several times.

All our members are Moderated.  We have multiple Owners in our group.

We get notification that a message is waiting approval.

I go to the message and select Reject.  While I am composing my rejection notice another Owner can approve the message.

Upon completing my reason for rejecting the message I click on Reject and get the following message:

"The pending message has already been approved or rejected."

Thank you for your assistance.

Ed Moser

You can "claim" a message, but at this point, that can only be done indirectly, by starting to edit it. If you start to edit a pending message, it will show up in the pending message list as "claimed" by you. That doesn't prevent other moderators from acting on it, but does give them a heads up.

Unfortunately, you can't "claim" a message directly, like you can a pending member. Expanding that to pending messages seems like a good idea.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 01:59 PM, Ed Moser wrote:
We get notification that a message is waiting approval.

I go to the message and select Reject.  While I am composing my rejection notice another Owner can approve the message.
There's no way to resolve this, especially If one owner is using email and another is going online.  I don't know of any way to control that outcome. As J said, for online, to claim you could hit edit, then immediately cancel so no changes are made, then create a rejection message.  Many groups that have multiple owner/mods will designate one to handle things, sometimes per 'shift', sometimes per day/week/month.  It can delay some approvals, but prevents the situation you have.

Duane

Some groups designate a single moderator to be in charge at any given time.

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 05:09 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
If you start to edit a pending message, it will show up in the pending message list as "claimed" by you. That doesn't prevent other moderators from acting on it, but does give them a heads up.
Pretty sure here that claiming a message will at least keep someone else from approving it via email. You can only "jump the claim" via the web interface.

Not sure if this helps the OP, but wanted to throw that out there.

Regards,
Bruce

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 06:20 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Pretty sure here that claiming a message will at least keep someone else from approving it via email. You can only "jump the claim" via the web interface.
Weird. I wonder why that should be. I hope it's well-documented. Even better if it could be made consistent. ;)

Ed Moser

Bruce

I have seen the claim notice, that implies that there is some kind of field on the message that has been turned on to mark the claim.

Why can't this be done not just when someone edits a message, but also when they what to reject the message?

Ed Moser

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 09:07 PM, Ed Moser wrote:

Why can't this be done not just when someone edits a message, but also when they what to reject the message
That's what I've suggested. You can do that with a pending member (you hit the "claim" button). The suggestion is that there should be a similar feature for pending messages. There would still be an issue with moderator actions via email. But it seems that there should be some finagling possible to accomplish the claiming via email as well.