moderated Merging accounts loses history info #bug

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- Not sure this is really a bug, but I don't know what else to call it.

I merged two of my groups.io accounts late last week. We're currently moving to a different city, and trying to gather all the loose ends. Bringing our relationship with my current mail provider (TDS) to a close was part of that. Since I already had my secondary (Gmail) address subscribed to a group or two, doing a merge seemed to be the path of least resistance.

Since then, I've noticed that my posting history under the old address is missing. If I click "all messages by this member" on a recent post, it doesn't show anything that occurred prior to the merge. I've also noticed that "likes" I've done prior to the merge now show up blank when clicked.

I suspect a number of other activities that I may have done are similarly affected. If I'd realized the implications of this I would have instead deleted the destination address and used "change email." But what's done is done.

I understand that going through every group the originating address has ever participated in and fixing up all these links as part of the merging activity may be totally impractical. Still, it seems appropriate to bring this to your attention.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce,

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 2:03 PM Bruce Bowman <bowman46118@...> wrote:

I merged two of my groups.io accounts late last week. We're currently moving to a different city, and trying to gather all the loose ends. Bringing our relationship with my current mail provider (TDS) to a close was part of that. Since I already had my secondary (Gmail) address subscribed to a group or two, doing a merge seemed to be the path of least resistance.

Since then, I've noticed that my posting history under the old address is missing. If I click "all messages by this member" on a recent post, it doesn't show anything that occurred prior to the merge. I've also noticed that "likes" I've done prior to the merge now show up blank when clicked.

I've fixed your message history. I don't think I'll be able to fix likes.

I've also fixed the Member Directory/Profile issue.

Merging accounts associates all existing subscription records with the new user record in the database. It does not go through all the other areas in the database that reference the old user record and update those. For your messages, I just did that by hand. I will be adding that into the merge process soon.

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 11:40 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've fixed your message history. I don't think I'll be able to fix likes.

I've also fixed the Member Directory/Profile issue.
Thanks Mark. As you're probably already aware, file/photo ownership is similarly lost. Not really a problem for me, as I own the affected groups anyway. Might be more of a problem for others.

I'm thinking that the hard part of fixing this is knowing where to stop!

Good luck,
Bruce