moderated Members - Filter multiple choices do something funny #misc

Andy

I think this is a bug, but it's minor and probably of little consequence, so I'm labeling it "#misc" rather than "#bug".

If a moderator goes to Admin - Members, then clicks Filter, and checks off more than one checkbox, sometimes the result is questionable and probably not correct.

If I check both "Not Confirmed" and "Bouncing", I seem to get both groups of members.  Maybe.  It's more than either group alone.

But if I check both "Not Confirmed" and "Banned", I get a list which appears to be only a subset of the Banned members, none of whom also show as Not Confirmed (of course).  I have no idea what it means.

And if I check both "Bouncing" and "Banned", it looks like I get a mixture of both - but not all of them.  Strange.

Whatever it's doing, it is not consistent, and not sure if the result is correct.  It might be neither the union nor the intersection of both choices.

(One might wonder why anyone would check both "Banned" and anything else.  I thought I would get both.  But it appears that I don't.)

I wonder if the menu should make it impossible to check off multiple choices when they don't work together.  Or perhaps send the user an error, instead of a (semi-random) list of members, with no telling what it means.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 10:39 PM, Andy wrote:
If a moderator goes to Admin - Members, then clicks Filter, and checks off more than one checkbox, sometimes the result is questionable and probably not correct.

If I check both "Not Confirmed" and "Bouncing", I seem to get both groups of members.  Maybe.  It's more than either group alone.

But if I check both "Not Confirmed" and "Banned", I get a list which appears to be only a subset of the Banned members, none of whom also show as Not Confirmed (of course).  I have no idea what it means.

And if I check both "Bouncing" and "Banned", it looks like I get a mixture of both - but not all of them.  Strange.
It's doing what it's designed to do.  The options on the filter list are grouped and separated by a horizontal lines. Options within the same group are logically 'OR'd so selecting Not Confirmed and Bouncing will give you those members that are 'Not Confirmed' OR 'Bouncing'.    The different groups are logically 'AND'd so selecting Not Confirmed and Banned will list those that are 'Not Confirmed' AND 'Banned' which is why you see a subset of those that are just 'Not Confirmed'.

Regards
Andy

Andy

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 06:36 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
It's doing what it's designed to do.  The options on the filter list are grouped and separated by a horizontal lines. Options within the same group are logically 'OR'd so selecting Not Confirmed and Bouncing will give you those members that are 'Not Confirmed' OR 'Bouncing'.    The different groups are logically 'AND'd so selecting Not Confirmed and Banned will list those that are 'Not Confirmed' AND 'Banned' which is why you see a subset of those that are just 'Not Confirmed'.

Well, that was what I first thought it might be.  But that is not what actually happens.

Checking "Banned" and "Bouncing" gives me a large number of names, larger than either "Banned" or "Bouncing" alone, so it might be "Banned" OR "Bouncing".  You say it should be AND, but it appears to be OR.  I can't explain that.  Furthermore, the combined list does not have at least names from one of the lists, so it is not even an OR of the two lists, either.  I don't know what it's doing.

Checking "Banned" and "Not Confirmed" gives me a small number of names, smaller than either "Banned" or "Not Confirmed" alone.  But they are not the names of members that are in both lists (which would be an AND).  They seem to be a subset of names from one list only, and not part of the other.  That is not an AND.

That's why I wrote this.  The behavior seems unpredictable or contrary to what it seems like it should be doing.

Andy

Andy

Typo:

I wrote "Furthermore, the combined list does not have at least names from one of the lists".

It should read "Furthermore, the combined list does not have at least some of the names from one of the lists".

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Jan 2, 2022 at 02:44 AM, Andy wrote:
Well, that was what I first thought it might be.  But that is not what actually happens.
I've done some testing and there definitely seems to be an issue with the options in the 'Not Confirmed' & 'Bouncing' group not being logically 'AND'd with the 'Pending Approval' & 'Banned' group. I have three bouncing members and none in the other categories but from what I can see, items in these two groups seem to be logically 'OR'd.  In all other tests I've done, it seems to work as it should.

Regards
Andy