From: J_Catlady
Date: 12/4/2018 9:58:15 AM
Subject: Re: [beta] members column for date of last post #suggestion

In other words: What I want to see is if and when my group members have been active without having to scroll through dozens of pages of messages (and keep track of what I find) and without having to go through every member's activity log.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 7:55 AM J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 07:53 AM, magicalkingdomgroups@... wrote:
If it can be done that way
Because the utility of that is very limited. What you will see in the message list might be, for example, 20 posts by one or two members during the last couple of days, then a couple of pages of posts of a couple of other members, etc. In my group you would have to scroll through pages and pages to see all of the members who have posted recently, and in what order.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 09:13 AM, magicalkingdomgroups@... wrote:
Yes but the most recent posters would be at the top of the list
You're still not understanding the issue.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 09:17 AM, magicalkingdomgroups@... wrote:
Go to activity
Click on Message Activity
You're not understanding the issue.

And I don't think this is a subject for beta any more. Mark will decide whether or not he wants to add the field. If you want to discuss the difference between members in order of most recent post, vs. messages in order of most recent message, you should probably take it up in GMF.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 9:35 AM J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 09:17 AM, magicalkingdomgroups@... wrote:
Go to activity
Click on Message Activity
You're not understanding the issue.

Leeni

It seems you aren't understanding the issue

From: J_Catlady
Date: 12/4/2018 11:37:23 AM

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 09:41 AM, magicalkingdomgroups@... wrote:
I suggest that you follow your own advice and bring this issue up in GMF

My suggestion is not appropriate for GMF, since it's a feature suggestion. Your suggestions don't solve the problem the feature I'm suggesting does. I think I'm done here. :)

Frances

I think it would be interesting to see how many members post and how many don't. If last posted date was added, and the column was clickable so I could view it by date order, I could scroll down and get a rough estimate of activity by members. I could see the join date of those who are reading but not participating, for example.

Frances

That’s pretty much exactly why I want it.

On Dec 6, 2018, at 8:59 AM, Frances <frances@...> wrote:

I think it would be interesting to see how many members post and how many don't. If last posted date was added, and the column was clickable so I could view it by date order, I could scroll down and get a rough estimate of activity by members. I could see the join date of those who are reading but not participating, for example.

Frances

Leeni

Most of that is available in the activity section
Click on Member Activity
Then you can click on the individual you want to look up
And see when the posted or how much the posted
And then go on to the next one

From: Frances
Date: 12/6/2018 10:59:39 AM

I think it would be interesting to see how many members post and how many don't. If last posted date was added, and the column was clickable so I could view it by date order, I could scroll down and get a rough estimate of activity by members. I could see the join date of those who are reading but not participating, for example.

Frances

Frances, again, home run. That’s precisely the information I want and which is so difficult to attain now. The last posted date order would be extremely helpful.

As for people who don’t like it, you would not have to use it. There is no more suggestion that if substitute for the date joined. It would be additional,

On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:25 AM, Frances <frances@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Higgins

Aw c'mon! What's available in the Member Activity section is NOTHING like Frances' suggestion below. What you get with your approach isn't information; it's DATA. It becomes information only when it's presented USEFULLY as Frances suggests.

Via your approach you see the name and date for every single posting, one line per posting, with many lines showing for the more active members... vs Frances' suggestion below that simply adds the date of most recent posting to the member listing... one line per member... sortable by date of last posting.

So... how hard might it be to find the 50 most recent or 50 least recent posters (out of 1,000 subscribers) via your approach vs Frances' approach? A few seconds via Frances' approach... so long via your approach that no one would ever try.

Jim H

Received from magicalkingdomgroups@... at 12/6/2018 05:55 PM UTC:

Most of that is available in the activity section
Click on Member Activity
Then you can click on the individual you want to look up
And see when the posted or how much the posted
And then go on to the next one

I think it would be interesting to see how many members post and how many don't. If last posted date was added, and the column was clickable so I could view it by date order, I could scroll down and get a rough estimate of activity by members. I could see the join date of those who are reading but not participating, for example.Frances

Jim Higgins

That wouldn't capture reads (likes) by people who receive individual messages at their home email address... where there's no "like" button. Nor would it capture reads via the web by those who don't bother to click "like."

I'm not sure of the value of this even if the read data were accurate... but with it being as inaccurate as it will be I see almost no utility.

Jim H

Received from Toby Kraft at 12/6/2018 06:05 PM UTC:

Frances,
Just want to mention there is no way to know who is 'reading' the posts, as there is no tracking of who 'opened' the email message (or viewed on the web either as far as I know).
That got me thinking that we can add a last post date for the most recent post/reply. But what about "Like"? Members could read posts and "Like" them so they are interacting with the group but not necessarily posting. Perhaps another data field of 'most recent Like' would be useful?
Toby

Leeni

I wrote about the activity section prior to Frances' email
She wrote what she wrote after I did so I had no way of knowing what she was going to write.
Sorry.

Aw c'mon! What's available in the Member Activity section is NOTHING like
Frances' suggestion below. What you get with your approach isn't information;
it's DATA. It becomes information only when it's presented USEFULLY as
Frances suggests.

Via your approach you see the name and date for every single posting, one
line per posting, with many lines showing for the more active members... vs
Frances' suggestion below that simply adds the date of most recent posting to
the member listing... one line per member... sortable by date of last posting.

So... how hard might it be to find the 50 most recent or 50 least recent
posters (out of 1,000 subscribers) via your approach vs Frances' approach? A
few seconds via Frances' approach... so long via your approach that no one
would ever try.

Jim H

Received from magicalkingdomgroups@... at 12/6/2018 05:55 PM UTC:

>Most of that is available in the activity section
>Click on Member Activity
>Then you can click on the individual you want to look up
>And see when the posted or how much the posted
>And then go on to the next one

Jim is exactly right. (And Frances’s approach is my original suggestion in this thread.) This is a matter of someone being unclear on the concept.

On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:45 AM, Jim Higgins <HigginsJ@...> wrote:

Aw c'mon! What's available in the Member Activity section is NOTHING like Frances' suggestion below. What you get with your approach isn't information; it's DATA. It becomes information only when it's presented USEFULLY as Frances suggests.

Via your approach you see the name and date for every single posting, one line per posting, with many lines showing for the more active members... vs Frances' suggestion below that simply adds the date of most recent posting to the member listing... one line per member... sortable by date of last posting.

So... how hard might it be to find the 50 most recent or 50 least recent posters (out of 1,000 subscribers) via your approach vs Frances' approach? A few seconds via Frances' approach... so long via your approach that no one would ever try.

Jim H

Received from magicalkingdomgroups@... at 12/6/2018 05:55 PM UTC:

Most of that is available in the activity section
Click on Member Activity
Then you can click on the individual you want to look up
And see when the posted or how much the posted
And then go on to the next one

Aw c'mon! What's available in the Member Activity section is NOTHING like
Frances' suggestion below. What you get with your approach isn't information;
it's DATA. It becomes information only when it's presented USEFULLY as
Frances suggests.

Via your approach you see the name and date for every single posting, one
line per posting, with many lines showing for the more active members... vs
Frances' suggestion below that simply adds the date of most recent posting to
the member listing... one line per member... sortable by date of last posting.

So... how hard might it be to find the 50 most recent or 50 least recent
posters (out of 1,000 subscribers) via your approach vs Frances' approach? A
few seconds via Frances' approach... so long via your approach that no one
would ever try.

Jim H

Received from magicalkingdomgroups@... at 12/6/2018 05:55 PM UTC:

>Most of that is available in the activity section
>Click on Member Activity
>Then you can click on the individual you want to look up
>And see when the posted or how much the posted
>And then go on to the next one

<Pops head up from working on the app and other stuff>

This horse has been beaten. Topic's going on moderation.