moderated Member unable to close a poll #bug

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

the member's manual gives clear instructions on how a member can close (or repoen) a poll.  However, the options to do so are not available for them to select. Currently, it seems the minimum requirement is to be a Moderator with the Edit Archives permission.

Regards
Andy

Duane

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 09:21 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
However, the options to do so are not available for them to select.
I did some checking on this.  It appears that the options are only unavailable if the topic is locked (by a mod.)  That would explain the need for the edit archive permission.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 05:01 PM, Duane wrote:
It appears that the options are only unavailable if the topic is locked (by a mod.)
In common with others (as discussed on this group), my group polls are locked when they are created due to the lock topic attribute on the #poll-notice hashtag so that replies by email are automatically rejected. A member still needs to be able to close a poll that they created as described in the manual.

Andy

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 9:30 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 05:01 PM, Duane wrote:
It appears that the options are only unavailable if the topic is locked (by a mod.)
In common with others (as discussed on this group), my group polls are locked when they are created due to the lock topic attribute on the #poll-notice hashtag so that replies by email are automatically rejected. A member still needs to be able to close a poll that they created as described in the manual.

That always felt like a hack to me. What if we do something different? What if there would be a new option on a poll, to not allow discussion? And then I'd change the locked topic behavior so that no changes to the poll, including new responses, could be made. This way, locking a poll topic behaves more like locking a 'normal' topic.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 02:29 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
What if there would be a new option on a poll, to not allow discussion?
In my case, I never allow discussion on polls, so always lock them.  If someone has questions and/or suggestions, they have to start a new topic, but I'm the only one that's started a poll so far.  It sounds like the "No Discussion" option would do that, but still allow the poll creator to close/reopen it?

I don't see a clear line between them, but I may be overlooking something.  If the permissions for a poll were like those available for editing database rows, owner/mod and row creator (and unrelated to locked/unlocked), would that resolve this situation?

Duane

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 08:29 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
What if we do something different? What if there would be a new option on a poll, to not allow discussion? And then I'd change the locked topic behavior so that no changes to the poll, including new responses, could be made. This way, locking a poll topic behaves more like locking a 'normal' topic.

I'm not sure what discussion would take place for a poll. Surely the only responses needed are to select the answer options available so it would seem reasonable to just stop all responses by email to a poll which is the reason we currently lock it.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 08:55 PM, Duane wrote:
If someone has questions and/or suggestions, they have to start a new topic,
Agreed. If members are allowed to reply to a poll message there will be instances of them trying to email poll responses rather than responding online.

Andy