moderated Member subscription colors #update

Hi All,

You can now assign colors to member subscriptions. In the Members page, there's a new 'Set Color' Action option, and on individual member pages, you can also set an individual member's subscription color. In the group's Default Sub Settings page, you can set a default subscription color as well, for new subscriptions.

The 'Color' column on the Members page is only shown if at least one member has a color assigned. The first, white box in the color picker is 'No color'. Selecting that for a member or members means they do not have a color assigned.

Colors are not shown on the Members page if you have the Member List Visibility setting set to Members and a member views the page.

Cheers,
Mark

Andy Wedge

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 05:27 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
You can now assign colors to member subscriptions.
I think what would add value to this is:
  • being able to filter the member list by colour
  • the colour assignment on a main group is carried through to the subgroups they're in (unless it's overridden - working in the same way a profile does).
Regards
Andy

Mark,

This is a fantastic feature! I love it. However, now I'm greedy. It would be really nice to have a place to record a "key" to the meaning of the various colors. If wiki pages had granular permissions (e.g., a wiki page could be designated as viewable by mods only), that could be used for that purpose (and others). I have long wished for some page, somewhere, that mods could use to record and discuss various issues.

While I'm at it, I had the disappearing drafts problem again today. It seems to be on and off. A draft of this message had disappeared when I'd gone into my own group for a minute and came back.

I don't use subgroups, but I like the idea of a filter by color.

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 10:03 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

I think what would add value to this is:
  • the colour assignment on a main group is carried through to the subgroups they're in (unless it's overridden - working in the same way a profile does).
So for this, would you also say get rid of the color selection on the Default Sub Settings page for subgroups? Or would you keep that, and have it so that subgroup members inherit the parent group's member color if:

- The parent member sub has a color set
- And the subgroup's Default Sub Settings color is set to no color?

Andy Wedge

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 06:58 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
So for this, would you also say get rid of the color selection on the Default Sub Settings page for subgroups? Or would you keep that, and have it so that subgroup members inherit the parent group's member color if:

- The parent member sub has a color set
- And the subgroup's Default Sub Settings color is set to no color?
I'd keep the option on the Default Sub Settings and inherit the colour if the conditions you mentioned are satisfied. I think that would work for me and gives an easy option to others if they wish to colour all members of a subgroup the same.

I would use the colour scheme to denote different membership types within my group.  Our membership types are based upon values in an external system so when you have 5 mins, a method of syncing the membership type to a colour would be just perfect 😊

Regards
Andy

Hi All,

I've added filtering by color to the Members page. Default subscription color 'inheritance' will be done next week.

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 11:35 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

I would use the colour scheme to denote different membership types within my group.  Our membership types are based upon values in an external system so when you have 5 mins, a method of syncing the membership type to a colour would be just perfect 😊

You can set/get/update member colors using the API. I just updated the docs.

Cheers,
Mark

Andy Wedge

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 11:46 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
You can set/get/update member colors using the API. I just updated the docs.

Thanks. Just seen that. Looks like I have some reading and learning to do!

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 06:58 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 10:03 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

I think what would add value to this is:
  • the colour assignment on a main group is carried through to the subgroups they're in (unless it's overridden - working in the same way a profile does).
So for this, would you also say get rid of the color selection on the Default Sub Settings page for subgroups? Or would you keep that, and have it so that subgroup members inherit the parent group's member color if:

- The parent member sub has a color set
- And the subgroup's Default Sub Settings color is set to no color?
In #32285 on Fri, May 27, 2022 at 05:06 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Changes to the site this week:

May 26, 2022:

  • CHANGE: For new subscriptions to subgroups, if the subgroup does not have a default color set, the color of the parent group is used.
Hi Mark,

this is not how I envisaged or suggested this working.  My idea was to make this work as details in a profile do, in that they are immediately cascaded to lower levels when a higher level value is changed.  The way the change is described in the Site Updates message means that if a colour is inherited from the main group when a member joins a subgroup, then it would not be updated again if the colour in the main group was changed.  We would use the colour scheme to denote membership types so a change in the main group would need to be cascaded to all subgroups a member belongs to and we have many members that belong to many subgroups. I would need to write and repeatedly run some automated processed to ensure that everything stayed in sync.

In addition, I removed my member account from my test subgroup and then Direct Added it back in.  I had a colour set for that account in my main group but it was not cascaded to the subgroup as the Site Updates message suggested it would be. The Default Sub Settings for the test subgroup have 'No colour' specified.

Regards
Andy.

Andy,

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 8:53 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

this is not how I envisaged or suggested this working.  My idea was to make this work as details in a profile do, in that they are immediately cascaded to lower levels when a higher level value is changed.  The way the change is described in the Site Updates message means that if a colour is inherited from the main group when a member joins a subgroup, then it would not be updated again if the colour in the main group was changed.  We would use the colour scheme to denote membership types so a change in the main group would need to be cascaded to all subgroups a member belongs to and we have many members that belong to many subgroups. I would need to write and repeatedly run some automated processed to ensure that everything stayed in sync.

Ok, can we walk through a couple of scenarios so that I understand better what you're describing?

- Subgroup has no default color defined, so color is inherited from the parent group:
  - What happens when I change the color in the subgroup subscription to a different color, then change the color in the parent subscription?
  - What happens when I change the color in the subgroup subscription to a different color, then back to the original color, then change the color in the parent subscription?

- Subgroup has a default color defined:
  - What happens when I change the color in the parent subscription?

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 04:34 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Ok, can we walk through a couple of scenarios so that I understand better what you're describing?

- Subgroup has no default color defined, so color is inherited from the parent group:
As per my comments in #32293, when the subgroup has no default colour define, the colour is not inherited from the parent group.

  - What happens when I change the color in the subgroup subscription to a different color, then change the color in the parent subscription?
The colour in the subgroup subscription stays the same when the parent subscription is changed..

  - What happens when I change the color in the subgroup subscription to a different color, then back to the original color, then change the color in the parent subscription?
As before, the colour in the subgroup subscription stays the same when the parent subscription is changed..

- Subgroup has a default color defined:
  - What happens when I change the color in the parent subscription?
The subgroup subscription colour remains unchanged

When a member is added to any group/subgroup it takes the colour from the default sub settings OK. A change of colour in the parent group is not reflected in a subgroup regardless of the default sub settings for the subgroup.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 04:34 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Ok, can we walk through a couple of scenarios so that I understand better what you're describing?

It was suggested to me off-list that you may have been asking what I would expect to happen in the scenarios you describe. I didn't read it that way so in #32380, I have stated what currently happens for each of those. Here is what I think should happen for each of them:

- Subgroup has no default color defined, so color is inherited from the parent group:
If a subgroup has no default colour defined, when a member is added to a subgroup the colour should be inherited from the parent group (as per previous comments, this does not work currently)

  - What happens when I change the color in the subgroup subscription to a different color, then change the color in the parent subscription?
  - What happens when I change the color in the subgroup subscription to a different color, then back to the original color, then change the color in the parent subscription?
In both cases, if a subgroup has no default colour, any change of colour in the subgroup subscription on its own should remain and any change of colour in the parent subscription should be inherited by the subgroup so the subgroup matches the parent.

- Subgroup has a default color defined:
  - What happens when I change the color in the parent subscription?
If a subgroup has a default colour defined, a change in colour of the parent subscription would not be inherited by the subgroup.

The factor controlling whether any colour change in a parent subscription is inherited by a subgroup is the presence (or not) of a default colour for the subgroup. This seemed to be what you were asking in #32238 and confirmed by me in #32239.

Regards
Andy

Hi Andy,

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 5:20 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

It was suggested to me off-list that you may have been asking what I would expect to happen in the scenarios you describe.

Yes, that was what I was asking; sorry for the poorly worded ask.

I have updated the site. If a subgroup does not have a default color set, setting the parent subscription's color will now propagate that to the subgroup subscription.

Please let me know if you have any questions or see anything amiss.

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 06:21 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I have updated the site. If a subgroup does not have a default color set, setting the parent subscription's color will now propagate that to the subgroup subscription.

Please let me know if you have any questions or see anything amiss.
That seems to work great and is much appreciated.  One thing I have noticed when the member list is displayed with the Color column is that the mouse pointer changes to a hand when you hover over it but clicking does not open the membership record:

Regards
Andy

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 11:47 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

That seems to work great and is much appreciated.  One thing I have noticed when the member list is displayed with the Color column is that the mouse pointer changes to a hand when you hover over it but clicking does not open the membership record:

Fixed.

Cheers,
Mark

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 09:58 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Fixed.
Excellent. Now if anyone on this group has script that updates member records using the API and would be willing to share it, please contact me off-list.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 06:21 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I have updated the site. If a subgroup does not have a default color set, setting the parent subscription's color will now propagate that to the subgroup subscription.
I found a scenario where the colours are not propagated in the way I expected and so don't work in the same way as profile information:

If subgroup member has their colour changed to 'no colour' and the default sub settings for the subgroup are 'no colour' then the subgroup member colour should be inherited from the main group. This way it works the same as resetting a (sub)group profile when the values are inherited from the higher level.

Regards
Andy

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 10:08 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

If subgroup member has their colour changed to 'no colour' and the default sub settings for the subgroup are 'no colour' then the subgroup member colour should be inherited from the main group. This way it works the same as resetting a (sub)group profile when the values are inherited from the higher level.

This has been fixed.

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 06:21 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I have updated the site. If a subgroup does not have a default color set, setting the parent subscription's color will now propagate that to the subgroup subscription.
After setting colours for my members on our main group which propagated nicely to the subgroups, I have found that new subscriptions to subgroups are not inheriting the colour from the main group when the default sub settings for the subgroup have no colour set.

Regards
Andy

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 8:21 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

After setting colours for my members on our main group which propagated nicely to the subgroups, I have found that new subscriptions to subgroups are not inheriting the colour from the main group when the default sub settings for the subgroup have no colour set.

Hmm, I'm not able to reproduce this. I first had a member of a parent group subscribe themselves to a subgroup, where the subgroup did not have a color set, but the parent did. That correctly added the color to the subgroup subscription. I then, as an owner, went into the parent group and added a member of the parent group to a subgroup, and again the parent color propagated correctly.

Can you walk me through what happened in your case?

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 10:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Can you walk me through what happened in your case?
If you take a look at the Activity Log for June 19th on my rams subgroup you will all the colour changes via the API recorded as I was setting them in the main group.  At 09:10, Jane subscribed to that group via the web but her colour is not set and as the subgroup has no colour defined in the default sub settings, I would expect this to be inherited from the main group (in this case color_tomato).  There are other examples in the wobmob subgroup.

Regards
Andy

Hi Andy,

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 3:13 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

If you take a look at the Activity Log for June 19th on my rams subgroup you will all the colour changes via the API recorded as I was setting them in the main group.  At 09:10, Jane subscribed to that group via the web but her colour is not set and as the subgroup has no colour defined in the default sub settings, I would expect this to be inherited from the main group (in this case color_tomato).  There are other examples in the wobmob subgroup.

The parent group, allmembers, currently doesn't have a default color. Did you reset it after she joined the subgroup?

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 11:45 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
The parent group, allmembers, currently doesn't have a default color. Did you reset it after she joined the subgroup?
I would expect the inheritance to be from the member record in the main group, not the group itself. As per #32239 I wanted to use this feature to denote different membership levels for my club. In this case, once a membership level is reached and the appropriate colour is set in main group and propagated to all subgroups, I would want the colour to be associated with the member regardless of which other subgroups they join (none of my subgroups will have a default colour set).

It would appear that the current logic when a member joins a subgroup is:
  • If the subgroup has a default colour, assign that to the member
  • if the subgroup has no default colour, take the default colour from the main group (which is none in my case)
Can we extend that logic by adding another test?
  • if the subgroup has no default colour, and the main group has no default colour, take the colour from the member record in the main group.

I believe that would give me what I need and avoid the headache of having to assign colours every time a member joins a different subgroup.

Regards
Andy

Duane

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 08:21 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Can we extend that logic by adding another test?
  • if the subgroup has no default colour, and the main group has no default colour, take the colour from the member record in the main group.
Based on your usage, and maybe others using membership levels,  I think it should be: subgroup default, member main, main default.  The combination of member main, subgroup default, main default might even be preferred.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 05:25 PM, Duane wrote:
Based on your usage, and maybe others using membership levels,  I think it should be: subgroup default, member main, main default.
Yes, I think that would work for me also.  I don't have a default colour on the main group but other people's needs may vary.

Regards
Andy

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 10:13 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 05:25 PM, Duane wrote:
Based on your usage, and maybe others using membership levels,  I think it should be: subgroup default, member main, main default.
Yes, I think that would work for me also.  I don't have a default colour on the main group but other people's needs may vary.

I have changed the algorithm to this now. Reiterating:

- Use the subgroup default color if it is set
- Else use the parent subscription's color if it is set
- Else use the parent group's default color

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 04:59 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I have changed the algorithm to this now. Reiterating:

- Use the subgroup default color if it is set
- Else use the parent subscription's color if it is set
- Else use the parent group's default color

Thanks. members joining subgroups looks good. I found that you cannot set the subgroup member subscription to no colour if:

the subgroup default is not set
and the parent member subscription is colour is not set
and the parent default colour is set

It always takes the parent group default setting instead.

This will not impact me as I would not need to remove a subgroup subscription colour but others may wish to.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 06:22 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
This will not impact me as I would not need to remove a subgroup subscription colour but others may wish to.
I should have added that I think if the colour setting logic was only applied when a member joins a subgroup, it would resolve this.

Regards
Andy