moderated "member message" urgently needs logging #suggestion #fixed

Andy

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here --

But I do find it puzzling how some Moderator actions are not logged.  It is puzzling why.  I wonder if it's "just because", or if there was a design reason for it.

Andy

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 12:24 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here --

But I do find it puzzling how some Moderator actions are not logged.  It is puzzling why.  I wonder if it's "just because", or if there was a design reason for it.

It's generally because I forgot to implement the logging when I implemented the functionality. Nothing deeper than that.

Mark

So, given time and opportunity, this is ‘fixable.’ That’s good to know.

Oversights happen.

Dan Tucker, Groups.io  AFDRetiree’s Group Founder/Owner/Moderator

From: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 12:36 PM
To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [beta] "member message" urgently needs logging #suggestion

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 12:24 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here --

But I do find it puzzling how some Moderator actions are not logged.  It is puzzling why.  I wonder if it's "just because", or if there was a design reason for it.

It's generally because I forgot to implement the logging when I implemented the functionality. Nothing deeper than that.

Mark

Bob Bellizzi

How about noting that in addition nothing in the logs, if one accidentally exits to anywhere for any reason, there is no draft saved.
I had a really complex issue to explain to a member who was moderated and didn't know why his message(s) were held up (we had to do lots of research about them).
Somehow, these fingers lost groups.io near the end of the message I was composing to him.
Since no draft had been saved (moderator to member, remember), I resorted to build it in Word and then copied & pasted.
But no draft is very frustrating, especially in relation to  complex or touchy member dialog.
--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers

That's odd. My drafts of Member Messages have always been saved. And I just retested that.

Hi All,

We now log this.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,
Thank you!!!!!!!!

On May 12, 2021, at 9:35 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

We now log this.

Cheers,

And it's recording the text of the message, too. Great!

Bob Bellizzi

Thank you, Mark.
Much Appreciated.
Bob
--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers
The Corneal Dystrophy Foundation

This is a request for an exception to the inclusion of text in the logging of member messages: could Member Notices be exempting from the logging of the text? I just sent the group guidelines to a member, resulting in a multi-page log entry consisting of the entire text of our (long) group guidelines. I'm suggesting that in the case of sending a canned Member Notice, the log entry just specity that the specified notice was sent.

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 08:52 PM, J_Catlady wrote:

This is a request for an exception to the inclusion of text in the logging of member messages: could Member Notices be exempting from the logging of the text?

I've changed it so that if you select a member notice when sending a message to a member (or members), we now log a pointer to that member notice, instead of showing the entire message in the activity log. This only applies to new messages, and it doesn't discriminate if you select a member notice and then edit it, it will still point to the member notice in the log and not show the (edited) message.

Cheers,
Mark

Great, thanks, Mark!