Topics

moderated Member list search errors and inconsistencies #bug

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

I've noticed that when I search the member list for my group (I am the owner) I get incorrect details returned and the implied use of the * wildcard is inconsistent between different searches.

If I search for harr I get a number results that include the names Harris and Harrison but I also get a member with the surname Cherry where the string harr is neither in the name nor email address. The fact that the search returns Harris and Harrison shows that there must be an implied wildcard search taking place.

However, when I search for fret I get no search results and I have to search for fret* in order to find a member with the surname Fretwell which indicates that no implied wildcard search is taking place.

I can provide additional search strings where I'm seeing this kind of behaviour if needed.

Thanks,
Andy

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 09:42 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:

If I search for harr I get a number results that include the names Harris and Harrison but I also get a member with the surname Cherry where the string harr is neither in the name nor email address.

It appears that repeating characters are getting collapsed/ignored. Search on harrrrrr and you'll get the same results. I have an email into the consultants to see if they can shed some light on this.

Thanks, Mark

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 04:44 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It appears that repeating characters are getting collapsed/ignored. Search on harrrrrr and you'll get the same results.
OK. That sort covers one aspect and I can see that searching for harrrrr gives me the same results as harr. Collapsing/ignoring repeated characters may explain why when searching for harr I get the name Richard in the results.  It does not explain the results when I search for jone which has no repeating characters.  In this case, I see numerous members with the surname Jones but also several that do not contain those consecutive letters in either name nor email address.

Regards,
Andy

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 1:10 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 04:44 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It appears that repeating characters are getting collapsed/ignored. Search on harrrrrr and you'll get the same results.
OK. That sort covers one aspect and I can see that searching for harrrrr gives me the same results as harr. Collapsing/ignoring repeated characters may explain why when searching for harr I get the name Richard in the results.  It does not explain the results when I search for jone which has no repeating characters.  In this case, I see numerous members with the surname Jones but also several that do not contain those consecutive letters in either name nor email address.

Until I come up with a better solution, you can surround your query with quotes and that will provide an exact match only (ie. "jone").

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 04:26 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Until I come up with a better solution
Any luck, you or consultants, finding a solution to either or both of the search problems?

Bob Bellizzi

Duane,
I just tried harr with no spaces, etc. and it comes up  with exactly one result this afternoon.
--

Bob Bellizzi