Topics

Member Directory Search fails if member name is an email address #bug

Terry Slattery

The member directory search function fails to find a match when the member name in the directory is an email address and the person doing the search is not a moderator. It failed for both partial match and full match. Searching with a partial name as a moderator works.
Summary:
Login as a regular member (tcs1026@...), individually searching for 'tcs' or 'tcs21026' or 'tcs@1026@...' returned zero hits. Searching for 'Slattery' returned one hit: 'Terry Slattery'. I found this to be the case for anyone whose Directory name is an email address.

Login as moderator, searching for 'tcs' returned two hits: 'Terry Slattery' and 'tcs1026@...'.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 7:48 AM Terry Slattery <tcs@...> wrote:
The member directory search function fails to find a match when the member name in the directory is an email address and the person doing the search is not a moderator. It failed for both partial match and full match. Searching with a partial name as a moderator works.

Yes, this is by design as a privacy measure. I'm happy to revisit if people think this should be changed.

Thanks,
Mark 

Ken Schweizer

I believe this is a GOOD design feature.

Just my opinion.

Ken

"And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." God

From: main@beta.groups.io [mailto:main@beta.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Fletcher
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 4:40 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Member Directory Search fails if member name is an email address #bug

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 7:48 AM Terry Slattery <tcs@...> wrote:

Yes, this is by design as a privacy measure. I'm happy to revisit if people think this should be changed.

Thanks,

Mark 

billsf9c

A good DeFault...!

I can see where a few lists would see it as undesireable. That leaves 3 choices;

- Deny it and continue.
- Allow it, optionally, bit once set as Mod-Only, no going back. (Some things act this way now.)
- Make it an Owner-Choice at any time. Moods change

I favor the last. But maybe you'd want it to popup a red warning, (for new/inveterate owners,) or put it in "Advanced Options."

Bugs come first. Consider 'fixing' this if you need a change of pace.

BillSF9c

Terry Slattery

I agree that the email address should not be visible.

However, it seems that search should match the fragment that's displayed in the member directory, which *is* visible to anyone. In this case: 'tcs'.

Bruce Bowman

The [partial] email address is displayed to other members in the Directory only if the Display Name field is unpopulated.

It would make sense to me to force people to put something in Display Name before they can share their group profile. This will provide something to search on, and if they want to remain anonymous they can still put Captain Beefheart or Howdy Doody or something like that in there.

Just a thought,
Bruce

Terry Slattery

If Display Name is not set, would the member not appear in the Directory? If that's the case, what name would be displayed in a posting by that member?

The current mechanism uses the email frag as a proxy for the Display Name for some functions, like the name in a posting and in the Directory if manually searched. It came up because I was going to recommend that Member1 search for Member2 to send a private email instead of asking on the list. Member2 only had an email frag for the Display Name, which wouldn't match in a search, but could be found by manually paging through the Directory. Thus, the email frag is not truly hidden, creating inconsistency and false security for anyone who thought that not setting a Display Name would keep them hidden.

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 11:02 AM, Terry Slattery wrote:
If Display Name is not set, would the member not appear in the Directory?
It is currently possible to share your profile without populating Display Name. I am proposing a change to eliminate that, forcing the person to populate it before sharing the profile with others.

If that's the case, what name would be displayed in a posting by that member?

The current mechanism uses the email frag as a proxy for the Display Name for some functions...
Correct.

If Display Name is not populated, a posting (or Directory entry) is tagged with that person's system-wide @Username, if they have one. If they have neither a group Display Name nor a system-wide @Username, the post is labeled with the obfuscated email address myaddress@....

Forcing a person to populate Display Name before sharing their profile would eliminate your searching concerns...other subscribers can then search on the Display Name without having to know anything about that person's email address. It would also help to address concerns expressed by others about the security of displaying the fragmentary email address.

Regards,
Bruce