Meaning of "Rejected Message" #suggestion

Andy

In group Settings, there are a handful of Member Notices that Moderators can create.  There is a Welcome message that I think all groups get by default.  Another one is "Rejected Message", which is said to be the "Message sent when a message is rejected".

What does that mean?

I thought it meant that it is sent whenever an incoming message was rejected.  But not, apparently.

Most rejected messages are ones sent by unsubscribed addresses.  When someone sends a message that is rejected for that reason, they do not receive one of those "Rejected Messages".  Instead, they receive a cryptic reply (which for me implies that Groups.io is "misconfigured", until I read further down).  Everything that I wrote in the "Rejected Message" message is apparently of no use because that message is not sent.

Is the problem that Groups.io fails to send that message when an incoming message was rejected?

Or is that message used only in a subset of cases -- and if so, should the name or its description be changed to reflect the more restricted usage?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 05:14 AM, Andy wrote:
I thought it meant that it is sent whenever an incoming message was rejected.  But not, apparently.
The Owner's Manual describes the circumstances when a Rejected Message notice is sent quite clearly.

Andy

Andy

OK.  So the "Rejected Message" message is sent ONLY when a Moderator manually rejects a message.  Not what I thought.  Thanks.

Nit:  I don't know what " select a Rejected Message notice as the initial text" means.  I don't see that.  Not that it matters.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 02:20 PM, Andy wrote:
Nit:  I don't know what " select a Rejected Message notice as the initial text" means.
When you reject a message via the website, the rejected message dialog box has a dropdown field where you can select one of the pre-defined Rejected Message member notices as a template for your rejection message.

Andy