Topics

locked Markdown

Good morning,

Over the weekend, I had a few hours while the babies were napping, and wanted to do a small fun project. So I added Markdown support to the post/reply boxes, along with code syntax highlighting in the archives.

Markdown, for those (most) who haven't heard of it, is like plain text, except that it lets you include some formatting with it. There are a lot of places online that explain what Markdown is better than I can, like http://whatismarkdown.com. I think it's much better for conversations than HTML messages, and yet neither Google Groups nor Y! Groups support it.

And with Markdown, if you're including a bit of source code in your message, you can tag it and it'll display nicely (this is called code syntax highlighting). The nerds, like me, really like this (and multiple people have asked for this feature in Groups.io).

Anyways, if you want to post using Markdown, you now can. If you don't, nothing's changed for you.

(I'll be going through all the messages from this weekend over the next couple hours).

Thanks!
Mark

Mark -
Something that used to work in Groups that some of our members used were the characters created by holding down ALT and typing the four digit number on the numeric keypad. I'm afraid I don't know what it's called. Back in the days of phototypesetting these were called Pi characters as I recall. Is this in any way related to markdown? An example is ALT+0169 giving a copyright symbol. Being able to use them again would be helpful, but we managed without them.
Dano

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 2:11 PM, D R Stinson <dano@...> wrote:
Mark -
Something that used to work in Groups that some of our members used were the characters created by holding down ALT and typing the four digit number on the numeric keypad. I'm afraid I don't know what it's called. Back in the days of phototypesetting these were called Pi characters as I recall. Is this in any way related to markdown? An example is ALT+0169 giving a copyright symbol. Being able to use them again would be helpful, but we managed without them.

In a way, yes. Markdown lets you embed HTML characters natively. The copyright symbol is &copy; . See here for more examples:

Of course, there's also emoji, which we don't yet support, but one day will.

It looks like those characters will work fine in Markdown using the keyboard/alt.  I haven't tested them in an html post yet.

0169 = ©

0176 = °

0181 = µ

Duane

I did a test on my group to see if they survive conversion to plain text. They made it to plain text okay, but I noticed in my test that the hard returns got lost. Let's see if the hard return after each of these sentences survives. My 2¢ worth. Dano

Oh, what fun!

But it would be way cool if I could use markdown in posts by email. I've always been disappointed that text/html won out over text/enriched; the latter would have spared us so many ills. http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1896.txt

I wish there was a way (and a semantic meaning) to force my email client to send messages with:

It would totally violate the semantics of text/plain, but I'd even wish for an ad-hoc marker I could use to designate my message body as text/markdown. Maybe a marker in the Subject or To field? What else can I control?

-- Shal

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 6:13 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

Oh, what fun!

Glad you like it!

But it would be way cool if I could use markdown in posts by email. I've always been disappointed that text/html won out over text/enriched; the latter would have spared us so many ills. http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1896.txt

I have been baffled for quite some time as to why Markdown isn't supported officially in email. I think it's perfectly suited for conversations, certainly much more so than HTML.

I went with adding a 'markup=markdown' parameter, as outlined here:

So, at least Markdown emails sent using MailMate should work. I found no other ideas/suggestions for how to support Markdown in email.

I'm open to suggestions. A special subject hashtag? First line of the message be some sort of special phrase?

Mark