Topics

moderated "Likes" revisited

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:21 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I don't see it either.

If you reply to a message with just a +1 or the word like, that message will not be sent to the group and instead you will like the message you're replying to.

Cheers,
Mark

Fodder for the new tech writer. :-)

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:29 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:21 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I don't see it either.

If you reply to a message with just a +1 or the word like, that message will not be sent to the group and instead you will like the message you're replying to.

Cheers,

Brian,

How does one "like by e-mail"?
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/8125#294

Shal

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Shal,

        Thanks (sincerely).   These sorts of requests still make me scratch my head, since if you are e-mail only I still see no way to actually "view" likes and it seems diametrically opposed to an e-mail list.  (The previous is strictly my own impression - it is not an objection to the feature - I shall never make another one of those again as it is verboten.)

              ~ Brian Vogel

Brian,

These sorts of requests still make me scratch my head, since if you
are e-mail only I still see no way to actually "view" likes ...
I perpetually hold out the hope that the long awaited notification overhaul will mitigate that problem.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/2708

Shal

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 01:56 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/2708
Another head scratcher.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it doesn't go with the medium.  It's an insane workaround.

I hate the Like function to begin with (and not only with regard to Groups.io) but it is, and always will be, a function that sprung up in online environments that it did because it's simple to see there and can be appreciated as part of a whole.

Others, of course, will differ.

              ~ Brian Vogel

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 02:56 AM, Shal Farley wrote:

I perpetually hold out the hope that the long awaited notification
overhaul will mitigate that problem.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/2708

Shal
If it takes long enough, we might also have to start worrying about Article 11 and Article 13. And an even newer wonderful idea has just come up as well. "Likes" may need to be handled based on user age and country.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47933521

--
Gerald

dave w

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 02:38 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Another head scratcher.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it doesn't go with the medium.  It's an insane workaround.
The same could be, and is, said for inane sig lines and witticisms some think are humorous in messages.
Another reason I have never subscribed via email- either here at at Y* on near 30 groups of interest.

My only reason for reading this thread is the apparent banning of an inane feature, that, ostensibly does nothing to or for groups anyway. It massages an ego but you have to look for it on the site.

I've been waiting to see some effort to quantify likes- my own or others- as there's no other way to highlight useful/ efficient/ accurate information contained in or attached to messages, other than copying each and every piece of documentation/ text out to a separate dbase.

FWIW, contrarily,

Another point of view on Likes:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/31/style/are-likes-and-followers-the-problem-with-social-media.html