Topics

locked Lightweight "integrations" - link only #suggestion

Mark,

There are some external services that a group owner might want to make a part of their group which don't require an API, or anything more than a link to the service, because their purpose isn't to feed messages to the group.

An example might be a wiki on PBworks, for a group that wants a public accessible Wiki. Or a Dropbox folder. Or Flickr guest pass to a private photoset (aka Album).

Yes, such links could be added to the home page Website or description, or to the (future) Links feature or Wiki. But there may be a few which, in the opinion of the owner, deserve the first-class privilege of placement in the left-hand column list of group features.

The icon for such integrations could be some kind of stylized page and arrow that signifies going "off-site" (an idea shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia).

-- Shal

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 1:42 AM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

Yes, such links could be added to the home page Website or description, or to the (future) Links feature or Wiki. But there may be a few which, in the opinion of the owner, deserve the first-class privilege of placement in the left-hand column list of group features.

I've had this thought as well. I'll add it to the list.

Thanks,
MarkĀ

This is actually a rather cool idea. I would love to see a real API, but even this feature would make certain integrations much easier.

An interesting question - should there be some visual indication that certain links are external services so that user's know they are going off-site?

Chris,

An interesting question - should there be some visual indication that
certain links are external services so that user's know they are going
off-site?
Absolutely. That's why I suggested that the icon for such integrations could be the same sort of stylized page and arrow that signifies going "off-site" on Wikipedia. But maybe that alone is too subtle.

-- Shal