moderated Issue a Moderator notification upon changes to identifying information #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

Like many of us, I run a non-profit organization, and our GIO group is our main form of communication. At present, we struggle to keep our membership roster (an Excel spreadsheet) and our group subscriptions in sync. Subscribers can change their Display Name and/or their email address at will, and all it generates is an activity log entry. I can usually scan the log and figure out what happened, if they only change one of them. If they change both, it becomes a little more problematic.

Even then, I'm catching it well after the fact, when we do our annual membership audit. It would be helpful if these actions also generated a Moderator notification, so we can catch the changes and respond to them in real time.

Thanks for your consideration,
Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 04:24 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
 It would be helpful if these actions also generated a Moderator notification, so we can catch the changes and respond to them in real time.
Good idea Bruce. I've actually just written a Python script to extract details like this from the Activity Log using the API.

Regards
Andy

Bruce,

>>> Display Name and/or their email address change  would be helpful if also generated a Moderator notification

I also like the idea. 

It could be (I guess easily) added into the existing "Members" notifications bucket: 

The blurb below it could be suffixed with " or modifies their account details.", or reworded or whatever, it would complete the member account "circle", i.e. add/change/delete account.

One thing to keep in mind is that for main account level name/address change, a mod would get duplicate notifications (for the same person) if they mod more than one group where that person is a member of.

Cheers,
Christos

Mark Murphy

Since Email and Display Name are account-level, not group-level attributes, I suggest a notification should be sent to the mods of all groups where the account is a member.

Malcolm Austen

On Fri, 01 Jul 2022 14:18:58 +0100, Mark Murphy <mark@...> wrote:

Since Email and Display Name are account-level, not group-level attributes, I suggest a notification should be sent to the mods of all groups where the account is a member.

Email, yes, but display name can be changed group by group.

Visit  group, click subscription (upper left) then find the 'Group Profile' tab. There you can edit the Display name for that group. 

I don't recall whether group owners can edit subscriber Display Names just for their group though.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...

Pete Cook

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 09:27 AM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
I don't recall whether group owners can edit subscriber Display Names just for their group though.

Yes, they can. I do it quite frequently. (Full names are required in the display name field for my main group.)

KWKloeber

Great idea Bruce and hope that it's instituted - with the proviso that it's an option that can either be turned on or turned off by individual mods.

Alan Heubert

I too am facing the same synchronization issue, and like Bruce's suggestion. Unless I'm missing something, though, I believe a recent suggestion of Mark's may offer a nicer solution. In case you're interested, I just posted about it here: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/32755.

Alan

Andy I

If I understand correctly, "Display Name" is both an account setting, and a group setting.  That is somewhat confusing because they are both named the same thing, but they are not the same thing.

I did not check the Manuals to see what they say about it, but I believe an account has a Display Name, and then each group to which one subscribes also has its own Display Name for that member.  My guess is that the member's group Display Name initially is set to their account's Display Name, but then the user can change their group Display Name while not affecting their Display Name in other groups, nor their account's Display Name.  Perhaps the account's Display Name serves as the "seed" to each group's Display Name, and they become unlinked the moment the member edits their group's Display Name.  Or perhaps they are always unlinked.

I just checked my own Display Name, and it is not the same in every group to which I am subscribed.  Evidently I changed it in at least one group, which affected that group only.

I would expect that a member's email address would be the same across all their subscriptions.  I think the only place you can change your email, is in the Account settings.

Andy

Brooke Brooks

Moderator notification for changes WOULD BE AMAZING! I run a school group and having emails match what the administration has on file is a MUST for security and emergency contact info. Being able to check in with parents about these changes while forwarding them to the office would ONLY WORK if I or other moderators where aware of the change. Image being a teacher and seeing a new email address or display name pop into your classroom group! Creepy to say the least. 100% percent on board with this suggestion!

Hi All,

I've just pushed a new moderator notification, Account Changes. You will get sent one of these notifications when a member changes their email address or their full name.

(Note: there's a typo in the subject of the push notification that gets sent out; I'll be fixing that shortly).

The notification is not currently sent if a moderator makes those changes, only a member. Should it also include changes from moderators?

Thanks,
Mark

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 02:11 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've just pushed a new moderator notification, Account Changes. You will get sent one of these notifications when a member changes their email address or their full name.
Yay! In fact, I just got one for a member in GMF who changed her email address a moment ago.

Could the group name be included in the notification? If you own/moderate several groups things can get a little confusing (if I get duplicate notifications, that's okay).

The notification is not currently sent if a moderator makes those changes, only a member. Should it also include changes from moderators?
My preference is that I do receive notification if another Moderator makes the change. As with other such notifications, I don't need one for changes I made myself.

Thanks much, Mark!

Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 08:35 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Could the group name be included in the notification? If you own/moderate several groups things can get a little confusing (if I get duplicate notifications, that's okay).
Yes, including the the group name would make them much more useful.

My preference is that I do receive notification if another Moderator makes the change. As with other such notifications, I don't need one for changes I made myself.
Agreed, I'd like to know of changes by any other Moderator.

Regards
Andy

Brooke Brooks

Notifications for anyone making changes would be amazing. I have moderators in every subgroup (classroom) and committee subgroup. They are all parent volunteers and it would be great if the main group moderators and owners got a notification when they make changes.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 11:11 AM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

(Note: there's a typo in the subject of the push notification that gets sent out; I'll be fixing that shortly).

Thanks,
Mark

>>> Yes, including the the group name would make them much more useful.
>>> Agreed, I'd like to know of changes by any other Moderator.

Also agree.

And to clarify:

Whenever,

1. a mod changes the user's Email address (paid groups) in the group Subscription page.
2. a mod changes the Display Name (all groups) in the group Subscription page.
3. a user changes their Display Name in the Group Profile page.
4. a user changes (or merges also?***) their  Email address in the Main Account page.
5. a user changes their Display Name in the Main Account Profiles page and
   5a: the main account profile is changed and the change propagates down to the group because they haven't customized their group profile.
   5b: the group profile is changed.

Did I miss any other possibility?

*** Merging accounts is in effect a change of address for the merged address so I'd think this would also generate it.

Cheers,
Christos

Hi All,

I've changed how we group these notifications. If you're the owner of a group with subgroups, and one of your members makes a change, you could have ended up with an email notification for each group/subgroup. I'm now grouping these notifications by user, so in that case, they'd be all grouped into one email.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Does merging accounts also create a notification?  I tried to test that and there's some problem with merging, I'll report it separately.

Cheers,
Christos