Topics

locked Is it better for the home screen to be group details or an archive of previous messages?

I wonder if people would be more likely to join a group if the messages were displayed first, rather than the group information page, once the group has a few messages.

Additionally, seeing that page each time you come back to the group probably is less useful given that you are more likely to want to see the messages, then the group information that you've seen fifty times before.

ro-esp

@casebash sendis:

I wonder if people would be more likely to join a group if the messages were displayed first, rather than the group information page, once the group has a few messages.

Additionally, seeing that page each time you come back to the group probably is less useful given that you are more likely to want to see the messages, then the group information that you've seen fifty times before.
If you already are a member, you probably want to see the oldest message that wasn't there the previous time you visited.

If you're not a member, especially when the group archive is not public, you should see the group description.

groetjes, Ronaldo

--
http://www.esperanto.net http://www.moneyasdebt.net

Chris,
People do not necessarily go to the group web page to see messages. They may wish to see Files or Photos (assuming those facilities are to be added) and moderators may wish to perform various administrative tasks. So the group information page is the top level of a decision tree - and the banner picture helps to confirm that a member or administrator has come to the correct group and it also adds eye-appeal for the prospective member.
regards,
Ian

On 6 November 2014 11:02, Chris Leong <walkraft@...> wrote:

I wonder if people would be more likely to join a group if the messages were displayed first, rather than the group information page, once the group has a few messages.

Additionally, seeing that page each time you come back to the group probably is less useful given that you are more likely to want to see the messages, then the group information that you've seen fifty times before.

_._,_.

Ian said:

So the group information page is the top level of a decision tree -
and the banner picture helps to confirm that a member or
administrator has come to the correct group ...
Good point. Last night I noticed that while looking at the archive, settings or other group pages the identity of the group is not displayed anywhere, save the browser address bar.

I don't know that we need the cover image on all pages, as Yahoo Groups Neo does, but I think the group name and title ought to be showing somewhere in the header area.

-- Shal

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

Good point. Last night I noticed that while looking at the archive, settings or other group pages the identity of the group is not displayed anywhere, save the browser address bar.

The group name should be displayed on every page at the top, basically directly to the right of the 'Home' link in the sidebar. Is it not showing up for you? Should it be made more prominent?

Chris,

I wonder if people would be more likely to join a group if the
messages were displayed first, rather than the group information
page, once the group has a few messages.

Additionally, seeing that page each time you come back to the group
probably is less useful given that you are more likely to want to see
the messages, then the group information that you've seen fifty times
before.
This is a question that went round-and-round a few times, with lots of confusion, in the early part of Yahoo Groups Neo.

Part of the confusion was the meaning of "go to the group" or "come back to the group". The exact answer is that you end up on the page specified by URL you used. What else?

So really the confusion had to do with where people were obtaining the URL. But in discussion people were not being specific about whether they were talking about a bookmark, a link in a message/digest, the link in the list of top groups on the left, the link in the All my Groups page, a link in the directory or a directory search result, ...

Part of the confusion had to do with a technical difference between the URL structure of Classic and Neo groups. In classic an URL of the form:

..../group/groupname

referred to the group's "home" page. In Neo that syntax is a 404 error - there is no "home" or "base" page for the group.

Rather one uses:

..../groups/groupname/info

for the About page. So now we have "home", "about" and "info" as synonyms in the Yahoo Groups vernacular, further muddying the language. And yes, they also made that silly change to "groups" in plural; that's not my typo.

But back to the point, it isn't so much who the user is (member or non-member) that ought (IMO) to determine where they end up, but where they get the URL. So it is important to specify that as part of any discussion about where a link "to the group" ought to take the person.

-- Shal

Judy F.

Chris, Yahoo Groups  allows you to see a few messages on the About page when you access the group.  From there you can then select the option you want.  Maybe if something similar to that could be set up.

I want my potential members to be able to access the group, read about it to see if it is suitable to their needs and then join or not join.

Currently Yahoo Groups has various options that can be set on how you view conversations, photos, etc.  I would think if members had an option to select where they want to appear when they access the group is better than forcing all members to see conversations.  Again, since there is such a variety of groups, there needs to be more options so each member can see what they want when they access the group.

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

I wonder if people would be more likely to join a group if the messages were displayed first, rather than the group information page, once the group has a few messages.

Additionally, seeing that page each time you come back to the group probably is less useful given that you are more likely to want to see the messages, then the group information that you've seen fifty times before.

Mark,

The group name should be displayed on every page at the top, basically
directly to the right of the 'Home' link in the sidebar. Is it not
showing up for you? Should it be made more prominent?
Hmm... Now that I see it I remember seeing it previously. But last night I must have been blind or something.

Never mind.

-- Shal

Frances

I have a private family only group so the setting is "archives are visible to subscribers only". That's the way I want it because the group is restricted to approved members only. I understand that many people want to market their groups, but mine would be mostly invitation-only.  We have a Yahoo Group and plan to move over to Groups.io

David P. Dillard

It is my opinion that Groups.IO is the best alternative to Yahoo Groups that I am aware of and I have seen a number of other group services. If your Yahoo Group has an archive, I recommend keeping your Yahoo Group so that your group's posting history remains intact.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584