Topics

Invite button clears the form #suggestion #bug

Mike Pompa

After an admin selects Invite on the left, there are two buttons at the top (serving as tabs) Invite and Sent Invitations.
On other pages, the buttons are all nouns. Invite is a verb and implies that it might do the same thing as the Send Invitation button at the bottom does.

As a first-time user of the invitation function, I was misled by that button and pressed it after first pasting in a list of email addresses at the bottom and then customizing the outgoing message. The Send Invitation button was offscreen. This resulted in refreshing the screen and losing the typed in customization. At first I assumed the message went out, but it wasn't.  Even after looking at the documentation, in my mind Invite would do the same thing as Send Invitation.

I would consider this a User Interface bug.

Possible ways to fix:
- Hide the button and only show it in the Sent Invitations page.
- Rename it to Reset Invitation  (because as a verb, that's what it actually does)
- Rename it to Send Invitation and make it do the same as the bottom button.

Bob Bellizzi

After reading your comment about nouns and verbs, etc I read the Official Owners' Manual chapter on Inviting.
It is extremely clear about which button performs which function, regardless of whether it is an a  djective, conjunction or whatever.
When in doubt, it really is a good idea to Read the Manual which is a quite new feature but very well done.
It's far better than the terrible engineering gobbeldegook of Chrome or Microsoft Help.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Michael Pavan

After reading your comment about nouns and verbs, etc I read the Official Owners' Manual chapter on Inviting.
It is extremely clear about which button performs which function, regardless of whether it is an a djective, conjunction or whatever.
Why should buttons, etc not be clearly and intuitively labeled?

When in doubt, it really is a good idea to Read the Manual which is a quite new feature but very well done.
Apparently there was no doubt as the button label appear to mean 'click to Invite', not 'click to Clear Form'...

Should we doubt everything, and always have to Read the Manual before doing anything every time?

Also why should a "Clear Form" button be labeled "Invite" and placed near the top of the page?

It's far better than the terrible engineering gobbeldegook of Chrome or Microsoft Help.
That's good to hear that is 'far better than', but still not a reason to mislabel buttons, etc.
This sounds like a more diplomatic way to say 'not as bad as'. ;-}

Duane

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 02:00 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
Also why should a "Clear Form" button be labeled "Invite" and placed near the top of the page?
It's not a "Clear Form" button, it's a page selection button, the other being "Sent Invitations".

Duane

Bruce Bowman

"Reset Invitation" does not strike me as a correct label for a navigation button, no matter what part of speech it might be.

Regards,
Bruce

Mike Pompa

Yes, after my experience I figured out on my own it's a page selection button. I think it's a bad user experience If you are already on the invite page it can be selected again with the side effect of clearing the form.

Go ahead and see what happens if you type in a custom message and fill in an email address, then press the invite button. Everything you've typed goes away. This is unacceptable behavior because it could look like the invitation was sent to someone who is sending their first invitation, or who does so occasionally.  The Send Invitation button is offscreen on most computers, which makes the Invite button very --- inviting to press, no matter how accurate the documentation is, even after someone reads the documentation.

That's why my first suggestion was to hide the button if you are already on the page.  Alternatively, disable this button while you are on this page. Or, have a Send Invitation button at the top of the page under the Invite button as well as the bottom of the page. Any of these will improve the user experience and save on tech support. Sometimes, documentation is not enough.

I've done a lot of UI/UX work and on the web pages I've written, I've manipulated buttons in javascript in the way I'm suggesting.  So when I see a UI that does something I don't expect, I can imagine how much more confusing it is to someone less technical savvy.

Mike

On Jul 25, 2020, at 4:29 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 02:00 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
Also why should a "Clear Form" button be labeled "Invite" and placed near the top of the page?
It's not a "Clear Form" button, it's a page selection button, the other being "Sent Invitations".
But you are already on the page.

Duane

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 12:53 PM, Michael Pavan wrote:
But you are already on the page.
Yes, but it's consistent with action buttons on other pages that have multiple views - Subscription, Members, Settings, Subgroups, Activity, etc.  After thinking about it a bit, I do agree with Mike that the button should be disabled for whichever view you're on.  For his example, if Invite was disabled when he was on that view, he might have been more likely to go looking for an active button after entering information.

Duane

Michael

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 01:27 PM, Duane wrote:
On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 12:53 PM, Michael Pavan wrote:
But you are already on the page.
Yes, but it's consistent with action buttons on other pages that have multiple views - Subscription, Members, Settings, Subgroups, Activity, etc.  After thinking about it a bit, I do agree with Mike that the button should be disabled for whichever view you're on.  For his example, if Invite was disabled when he was on that view, he might have been more likely to go looking for an active button after entering information.

Duane
Yes, I've never understood the point of a self referential link on any page, it's annoyance when trying to navigate a site, and serves no purpose.

Here's a vote to remove the link from any button that just goes to the same page that you're already on.

Please.

Michael Pavan

I've never understood the point of a self referential link on any page, it's annoyance when trying to navigate a site, and serves no purpose.
Actually, it is worse than useless in that it also unexpectedly clears the forms on that page.

Here's a vote to remove the link from any button that just goes to the same page that you're already on.
Agreed.

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 10:14 PM, Michael Pavan wrote:
Actually, it is worse than useless in that it also unexpectedly clears the forms on that page.
As Duane said, it's consistent with other page selection buttons on other pages in Groups.io.  If there are multiple buttons and one is blue, that's the page I'm on. It doesn't cause Groups.io to fail so I don't have a problem with it. I think there are other things we should focus on.

Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 05:52 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
As Duane said, it's consistent with other page selection buttons on other pages in Groups.io.  If there are multiple buttons and one is blue, that's the page I'm on.
Perhaps we shouldn't be using buttons for this purpose at all. A navbar or some such may be more appropriate. People are accustomed to that, and clicking in the navbar is unlikely to be confused for an action button, even when labeled similarly. Just throwing an alternative idea out there.

Having shared that, the current behavior is consistent with quite a few other pages on groups.io. If we believe this to be a problem, I don't think it appropriate to make such a change on one page and fail to address the others.

Regards,
Bruce

Bob Morley

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 10:41 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
the current behavior is consistent with quite a few other pages on groups.io. If we believe this to be a problem, I don't think it appropriate to make such a change on one page and fail to address the others.
I am also for consistency. My thought is that the root problem here is that "Invite" was not the best wording choice on the Admin menu. It should be "Invitations" and the button label also correspondingly labelled.

I would also prefer to see that the blue buttons do not have an active link. If I want to clear a page, I would expect to do a page refresh in the browser.

--
Gerald