Topics

moderated Investigating erroneous "Message too big!" errors

Hi All,

I'm seeing high numbers of internal network timeouts that are leading to erroneous 'Message too big!' bounce messages being sent back to people when they email their groups. I've increased some timeouts and am continuing to investigate.

Drew

I experienced this a few hours ago sending a message to my group at Tue, 27 Nov 2018 18:44:40 -0800:

ResponseCode 421 "timed out".

But nothing about "message too big".

The message finally appeared in the group at 22:44.

Drew

On 11/27/18 20:11, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Hi All,
I'm seeing high numbers of internal network timeouts that are leading to
erroneous 'Message too big!' bounce messages being sent back to people when
they email their groups. I've increased some timeouts and am continuing to
investigate.

Hi All,

The problem's been fixed. It was a bug triggered by some (what I thought was innocuous) debugging code I added elsewhere in the system. Ooof.

Summary of this event: some people initially got the Message too big error when sending messages. After I fixed that, the issue was just delayed email delivery for some small set of messages.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 7:59 PM Drew <pubx1@...> wrote:
I experienced this a few hours ago sending a message to my group at Tue,
27 Nov 2018 18:44:40 -0800:

ResponseCode 421 "timed out".

But nothing about "message too big".

The message finally appeared in the group at 22:44.

Drew

On 11/27/18 20:11, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm seeing high numbers of internal network timeouts that are leading to
> erroneous 'Message too big!' bounce messages being sent back to people when
> they email their groups. I've increased some timeouts and am continuing to
> investigate.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

magicalkingdomgroups@gmail.com

Thanks.
Although it didn't effect me it is so refreshing to see how attentive you are in solving these issues to better the groups. I am really enjoying my time here with my groups in groups IO. Ilene

Date: 11/27/2018 11:05:06 PM
Subject: Re: [beta] Investigating erroneous "Message too big!" errors

Hi All,

The problem's been fixed. It was a bug triggered by some (what I thought was innocuous) debugging code I added elsewhere in the system. Ooof.

Summary of this event: some people initially got the Message too big error when sending messages. After I fixed that, the issue was just delayed email delivery for some small set of messages.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 7:59 PM Drew <pubx1@...> wrote:
I experienced this a few hours ago sending a message to my group at Tue,
27 Nov 2018 18:44:40 -0800:

ResponseCode 421 "timed out".

But nothing about "message too big".

The message finally appeared in the group at 22:44.

Drew

On 11/27/18 20:11, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm seeing high numbers of internal network timeouts that are leading to
> erroneous 'Message too big!' bounce messages being sent back to people when
> they email their groups. I've increased some timeouts and am continuing to
> investigate.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Hi All,
On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 5:11 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

I'm seeing high numbers of internal network timeouts that are leading to erroneous 'Message too big!' bounce messages being sent back to people when they email their groups. I've increased some timeouts and am continuing to investigate.

I've made some changes to help. I've increased the timeouts for receiving emails. And I fixed a bug where we would return a 'Message too big!' error when an email timed out being sent to us. We now tell the sending server to retry.

I still don't know the root cause of why some emails are timing out being sent to us, but I suspect at this point it's a more general network issue and not just us. But I'm still investigating.

Mark,

I got a message from a group member this morning that he'd composed a detailed message last night and then got a "message too big" notice and lost the whole thing and became totally aggravated etc. Your "is fixed" message is timestamped 5:11 PST. He's on the east coast so that would coincide with "last night" for him. So hopefully the timing bears out that he simply sent his message before the fix. But if it happens again I'll let you know here or at support.

Thanks.