Topics

Include filename in subject line of upload mails #suggestion

Glenn Glazer

My members ask:

The current upload email subject line says:
New file uploaded to main@somegroup.groups.io
and in the body it says:
* /foo/bar/baz.pdf
Would it be possible to have an option to have the subject line say either of:
New file (/foo/bar/baz.pdf) uploaded...
/foo/bar/baz.pdf uploaded...
The idea being that members could then visually filter upload mails based on the files of interest, e.g., rosters or minutes or bylaws and so on.

Thanks,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Glenn Glazer

On 5/13/2020 21:51, Glenn Glazer wrote:
My members ask:

The current upload email subject line says:
New file uploaded to main@somegroup.groups.io
and in the body it says:
* /foo/bar/baz.pdf
Would it be possible to have an option to have the subject line say either of:
New file (/foo/bar/baz.pdf) uploaded...
/foo/bar/baz.pdf uploaded...
The idea being that members could then visually filter upload mails based on the files of interest, e.g., rosters or minutes or bylaws and so on.

Thanks,

Glenn

Not really sure how to interpret radio silence here. Mark, your thoughts would be appreciated, if only so I can provide feedback back to my members saying it was considered.

Many thanks for all you do,

Glenn

dave w

Filtering works on content as well as 'Subject'.
Given that a lot of people can't restrain themselves with brevity in naming files, it may work out worse than a desirable feature.
Regards davew

Glenn Glazer

On 5/18/2020 21:28, dave w wrote:
Given that a lot of people can't restrain themselves with brevity in naming files, it may work out worse than a desirable feature.

My groups don't have this problem. In fact, we have a fairly rigid naming pattern. I would not want to see this discarded because there is some possible abuse somewhere. It's like not making pencils because someone could poke someone in the eye with one.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Given that a lot of people can't restrain themselves with brevity in naming files, it may work out worse than a desirable feature.

It could be restricted to x number of characters from the file name rather than the entire file name.

Patti

Bob Bellizzi

Glenn
I don't concur with the analogy.
You seem to be viewing your suggestion with focus on your needs only.
It makes it seem that your pencil analogy disregards the value of any other groups' opinion.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Glenn Glazer

On 5/19/2020 13:14, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
Glenn
I don't concur with the analogy.
You seem to be viewing your suggestion with focus on your needs only.
It makes it seem that your pencil analogy disregards the value of any other groups' opinion.
--

Bob Bellizzi

That's not my intent. All things that can be used, can be misused, including existing groups.io features. Limiting features to things that cannot possibly be misused is too high a bar for feature requests. As with all things, I am always a supporter of making things available to those that want and not available to those that don't. So, if some of us want pencils and find the risk acceptable, that doesn't imply forcing everyone to buy pencils. They may choose not if they so wish.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est