Topics

Improved Links Functionality #featurerequest #links #yahoo

Dave Bird
 

Yahoo groups has a links functionality which allows one to very simply add links, folders, and folders with links.

GIO functionality in this area is more primitive in that one has to construct the entire structure in the wiki, or a flat structure within the database. Yes, I've explored this in some detail. There's a distinct learning curve, not something that one would expect all members of a group to be able to do.

I'd really like to see this efficient links functionality added to GIO.

Thanks for considering.

Gerald Boutin
 

Dave,

It shouldn't be hard for an Owner / Moderator to make a "links" database table.

Users can then add new "links" with no more effort than than clicking on "Add row" and pasting a link and optionally typing in some descriptive info and clicking on "Save Row".

In fact, if you have a group migrated from Yahoo, there will already by a links database so all the Owner/Moderator has to do is to allow normal subscribers to add links if desired.

I am sure one could make a fancier "app" of some sort, but what we have certainly already meets my needs.
--
Gerald

Bob Bellizzi
 

I  certainly would put up with a more primitive system that gio rather than the total unreliability and lack of any other redeeming qualities that Yahoo has exhibited for years.  They've been circling the drain for several years, attempting to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Adieu and good riddance, Yahoo.  Long live gio!
--

Bob Bellizzi

 

This is one of those suggested features that I would argue strongly against - and before people jump on me for arguing against something "just because I personally don't want it," let me assure you preemptively that's not the case. I don't care one way or the other personally about this. I simply don't think it makes sense for a product like this to have a section specifically devoted to "links." There is nothing special about links, and a section specifically devoted to them, like yahoo had, strikes me as an ugly little wart sticking out of the UI. If someone wants to post links, they can post them anywhere else that general content can be posted. 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

 

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 10:04 AM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
I  certainly would put up with a more primitive system
It wouldn't even be more primitive. OP mentions that yahoo lets you create folders of links. In groups.io you can also create folders, and if you just want to put links in them. or some of them, there's nothing preventing users from doing that. It's yahoo's odd "links" feature that strikes me as primitive.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

 

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 11:19 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
In groups.io you can also create folders,
meant to say, folders of files
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

 

No argument with your opinion. Mine is that links are extremely important to our group. 

Susan B


On Nov 5, 2019, at 1:33 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

This is one of those suggested features that I would argue strongly against - and before people jump on me for arguing against something "just because I personally don't want it," let me assure you preemptively that's not the case. I don't care one way or the other personally about this. I simply don't think it makes sense for a product like this to have a section specifically devoted to "links." There is nothing special about links, and a section specifically devoted to them, like yahoo had, strikes me as an ugly little wart sticking out of the UI. If someone wants to post links, they can post them anywhere else that general content can be posted. 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

 

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 12:52 PM, Susan B wrote:
links are extremely important to our group
Great! Then understand that groups.io has not taken links away from your group. You are as free to post them as you ever were - in a file, in a wiki page, in a sticky message, wherever. You can call the file "Important links." You can call the wiki page "Important links to xyz" where zyz is the relevant topic. Etc. In no way does groups.io limit your ability to post links simply by not having a separate page called "Links." 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

 

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 12:56 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
in a file, in a wiki page, in a sticky message, wherever.
or even, as others have pointed out, in a database, if that's what gets you off.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

Bob Bellizzi
 

And just think about using a WIKI page for links.
If they're so important you can make that Wiki Page a Sticky Wiki page at the top of your message page so members ca n easily access the important StickyWiki Page promptly without losing context
-- 

Bob Bellizzi 

 

Why are you so rude?


On Nov 5, 2019, at 3:57 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 12:56 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
in a file, in a wiki page, in a sticky message, wherever.
or even, as others have pointed out, in a database, if that's what gets you off.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

 

Funny because I was going to ask you the same thing. You make it personal. 

Please don’t do that. We’re talking about a software product. 

There’s no need to continually characterize my opinions. Simply express your own. 


On Nov 5, 2019, at 1:51 PM, Susan B <doggiesmail@...> wrote:

Why are you so rude?


On Nov 5, 2019, at 3:57 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 12:56 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
in a file, in a wiki page, in a sticky message, wherever.
or even, as others have pointed out, in a database, if that's what gets you off.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

Bob Bellizzi
 

Rude?
Sorry that you misunderstood that I was telling you how, on gio, one can take advantage of features to feature speciially important parts of the group's information that otherwise requires change of context.
GIO provides lots of handy features that should have been implemented on Yahoo.

--

Bob Bellizzi

 


I agree with Dave. We had a link-collection that wasn´t transformed correctly to GIO because it was designed like a medical textbook with folders and subfolders for every medical issue, corresponding to the structure we had in our files.

Take the example of a main folder for eye disorders, subfolders for glaucoma, cataract and so on... Then in each subfolder you could find links concerning these special issues and their description. By clicking on the description the respective link opended. Same with all the other dozens of medical issues like respiratory diseases, heart, liver, bladder, and, and, and...You just went there and a collection of links of the latest research results were available.

Moving to GIO only the folders werde transferred, the subfolders with their actual content were not transferred, and we had many dozens of them and hundreds of links to sites with fotos and very clear descriptions of the respective diseases. It all got lost. 

 On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 04:29 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
Users can then add new "links" with no more effort than than clicking on "Add row" and pasting a link and optionally typing in some descriptive info and clicking on "Save Row".

That´s not what we need and according to my above description it´s far less comfortable. In fact, the yahoo version was a very user friendly application, very easy to handle and very clearly aranged. It´s the one feature I am really missing, for the handling of databases seems much more complicated to me, and folders/subfolders, quickly installed, were such a work simplification.

            In fact, if you have a group migrated from Yahoo, there will already by a links database so all the Owner/Moderator has to do is to allow  
            normal subscribers to add links if desired.


We blocked members from uploading links because this didn´t match our original needs, so that doesn´t change anything.

I understand Dave´s submissions very well, and maybe there is a way to get close to that easy handling of links some day, although I see that at the moment of more important issues all these feature requests have to stand back.

Victoria

 

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 01:41 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
you can make that Wiki Page a Sticky Wiki page
Exactly right. There is actually *more* functionality here, not less, for posting links (and other material). A dedicated Links page is really just an anachronism.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

Janis
 

My groups made goodnuse of the easily usable links page at Yahoo Groups.  I would definitely appreciate havingbthe same functionality exactly thevway it was set up at Yahoo 

My work around here for links is to add them to messages with a comment and the Hashtag #Links used in the Topic. But the Yahoo tool is a better. I did not use folders for the links. I did not want to have to.ooen folders to see links.

In some groups on Groups.io I have a topic entitled Links and it has the Links hashtag so we can add new links to this topic. I do not want to be bothered setting up avdatabase for links. I already have enough to do.

As for all the comments about Yahoo, I have had several groups there and been a member of several more. I never had any problem at all with using Yahoo and have used it for 20 years on numerous devices. It always functioned the way it was supposed to. The only oroblem my group members ever had with itbwas forgetting their password or Yahoo ID.  I could not help them with their passwords but I have emailed several people their Yahoo ID they forgot. Then they could log in.

We are all.mad at Yahoo, but I am only mad because they are wiping our online group content Dec. 14.  And we should have at least through Dec. 31 to save our archives.Many groups do not care about that and are not moving.  But mad as I am,we are not here to trash Yahoo Groups.  It served us well for years!



On Tuesday, November 5, 2019, Bob Bellizzi <cdfexec@...> wrote:
And just think about using a WIKI page for links.
If they're so important you can make that Wiki Page a Sticky Wiki page at the top of your message page so members ca n easily access the important StickyWiki Page promptly without losing context
-- 

Bob Bellizzi 

 

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 02:04 PM, Victoria wrote:
We had a link-collection that wasn´t transformed correctly to GIO
But that is a different issue. 
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

 

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 02:05 PM, Janis wrote:
I never had any problem at all with using Yahoo and have used it for 20 years
You've dodged a lot of bullets. I don't know the statistics, but many if not most groups had their files start disappearing, messages being delayed for hours and in some cases not post at all, members being completely unable to unsub because the unsubscribe feature was broken, etc.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

 

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 11:06 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 02:04 PM, Victoria wrote:
We had a link-collection that wasn´t transformed correctly to GIO
But that is a different issue. 
 
No, it isn´t. It´s exactly what describes the difference in funcionality between links and databases. Subfolders in the Yahoo Group link collection cannot be transferred. All the other yahoo groups I am or was a member of had the same problem and lost hundreds of links this way.
But apart from that, as I wrote in my last message it is exactly that functionality and that easy handling of links that Dave, Susan and Janis mentioned which is being talked about here. And moving it to wiki doesn´t change this at all. So why not simply accept that different people can have different needs?

Victoria