moderated Improved draft saving #update

Aha. I'm sorry for the dribble but I just discovered the cause: when I went into the other group, I had just composed a draft in THIS group. I did it again to test, by changing the draft a tiny bit and going into the other group again. And there it was again, at the top of THAT group. Very fleetingly.

Mark,

There is *definitely* still a bug in the "error saving your draft" banner. When I compose a draft in one group and go into another group, the red banner immediately appears *for a split second* at the top of the second group, then disappears. It seems to have (I would like to say: it "obviously has") something to do with the draft being saved in the first group. This is still there, it's there predictably, and is not my imagination! I swear! ;) I had forgotten all about it since my last post on this. But then I composed a message here tonight (in Andy's thread on the unsubbing banned member), went into my test group to try something out, and there it was again. For a second I was flummoxed wondering what it was, and then I remembered this thread.

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 05:53 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
There is *definitely* still a bug in the "error saving your draft" banner.
I'm seeing this all the time when I post a message and when I posted a message to my group a few minutes ago, I saw two red banners for a second.  It doesn't look good.

Andy

Mark,

Just a heads up that this behavior is still there. The red warning appears and then immediately disappears when I compose a draft and exit for any reason (and then come back).

A last word on this: this is totally consistent and reproducible. Start a message, go outside of it to check on something somewhere else, and the red warning will flash for a split second.

Peter Cook

Just fyi, this was occurring maybe a week ago. Now I can't make it happen anymore.

Pete

Interesting. It’s happening consistently for me, but only when I go out of the draft to do something else. Happened twice today, 100% of the times (two) that I composed a draft and went outside of it. Are you going outside the draft, into another page or group?

On Aug 23, 2021, at 1:59 PM, Peter Cook <peterscottcook@...> wrote:

Just fyi, this was occurring maybe a week ago. Now I can't make it happen anymore.

Pete

And, I can make it happen. I composed a draft in my test group and went into this group. The warning flashed immediately. It's consistent and entirely reproducible for me.

And, the bug is still there today. I will stop reporting this, but I was startled to see it again this morning so thought I would update. It happened because - again - I had gone out of the draft to check on something.

Donald Hellen

J_Catlady . . .

On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 12:55:01 -0700, "J_Catlady"
<j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

And, the bug is still there today. I will stop reporting this, but I was startled to see it again this morning so thought I would update. It happened because - again - I had gone out of the draft to check on something.
While this isn't a solution or fix to that problem, when I want to go
somewhere else on the web site a tab is open, I right-click on the tab
and click "duplicate" to have two identical tabs. Then I use one of
them to navigate to where I need to look then click on the other
duplicated tab to go back to where I was. There would be no changes to
the original web page I was on when duplicating the tab in the
browser.

I don't know what would happen if you duplicated the tab then tried to
do two different things on the same page in the different tabs but I
wouldn't even think of trying that anyway.

Maybe this work-around would be useful for others. I use it on many
sites.

Donald

Donald,

There's no workaround necessary or even worth the trouble. The bug does not cause an actual problem. It is just a "wrong thing" that happens. The banner should not be there.

Hmm, I also just got it while in the NewTopic screen, albeit not leaving the screen (per se) but when I clicked on Discard draft.  The red "Error saving draft" notice flashed momentarily then the green "draft discarded" notice came up as normally.

Cheers,
Christos

It might be haunted. ;)

Here is another situation in which it occurs: compose a Message to Member and send it. The moment you hit Send, the red banner flashes for a split second.

Hi All,

I was able to (finally) duplicate a case where the error banner would briefly show up, using Firefox. I ended up refactoring all the editor code and I fixed that bug.

Please let me know if you see any other issues.

Seems fixed!

Nope, not fixed. I just composed a draft of a message, then deleted it. I got the banner not once but multiple times, flashing and then disappearing.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 05:04 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
multiple times, flashing and then disappearing
I tell you, it's haunted!!!

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 5:04 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Nope, not fixed. I just composed a draft of a message, then deleted it. I got the banner not once but multiple times, flashing and then disappearing.

More detail please. Can you give me the exact steps to reproduce this? And which browser are you using?

Mark,

I realized right afterwards that you would need more detail. And I tried to reproduced it and couldn't (I will try again). I am using Firefox.
To the best of my recollection:

1. I composed a "send message" draft from within a pending message
2. I decided to discard it and hit "discard"
3. I saw the flashing red banner, long enough to read "will try again in n seconds" etc.
4. I saw it again, right before exiting the page

Steps 3 and 4 happened concurrently with my brain's processing the instruction the exit the page. It was all simultaneous. By the time I was actually out of the page, it was all over. I thought immediately afterwards that if I had stayed longer, I might have seen even more banners. As it was, there were only two.

Right after sending the message here about it, I went into my test group and tried to reproduce this, but so far have been unsuccessful.