moderated Improved draft saving #update

Hi All,

I just pushed a change to how we save drafts. If there is an error saving the draft, we now display an error message, with a countdown to when we will try saving again. This is how Gmail works. Hopefully this should help with issues around drafts going missing.

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 06:05 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If there is an error saving the draft, we now display an error message, with a countdown to when we will try saving again.
Mark -- This seems to have introduced a new (minor) bug. Whenever I hit the Discard button, I get an error message:

There was an error saving the draft. Please reload the page.

Sometimes I get two of these banners.

The draft is indeed discarded, but if I reload the page as requested, the editor comes back up. To exit this "error loop" I have to browse to a different page and come back.

Regards,
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 4:07 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

Mark -- This seems to have introduced a new (minor) bug. Whenever I hit the Discard button, I get an error message:

There was an error saving the draft. Please reload the page.

I'm unable to reproduce this. What browser are you using?

Marv Waschke

I just got the same behavior as Bruce. Typed a line, hit discard, Got two banners, one with countdown. The message was not actually discarded. Running 64 bit Firefox 90.0.2
Best, Marv

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 9:22 AM Marv Waschke <marvwaschke@...> wrote:
I just got the same behavior as Bruce. Typed a line, hit discard, Got two banners, one with countdown. The message was not actually discarded. Running 64 bit Firefox 90.0.2

Thanks for the report. This is difficult for me to reproduce. That said, I've just pushed some changes that hopefully will fix it. Please let me know if you see it again.

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 12:41 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
That said, I've just pushed some changes that hopefully will fix it. Please let me know if you see it again.
Mark -- Lost the draft I was composing while you pushed the change.

Still getting the error message with the request to refresh, but not the separate countdown error (see screenshot). When I refresh the page it no longer brings up the editor as it did this morning.

Google Chrome and W10, updated to latest version two days ago.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 12:48 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
When I refresh the page it no longer brings up the editor as it did this morning.
I spoke too soon on this.

This morning I clicked a footer link [in a digest I received overnight] to View/Reply Online. This brought up the message with a "reply=1" query string.

When I hit Discard at this point, I get the error banner. When I refresh the page as requested, the query string is still there, so the editor opens again.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 9:48 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

Mark -- Lost the draft I was composing while you pushed the change.

Still getting the error message with the request to refresh, but not the separate countdown error (see screenshot). When I refresh the page it no longer brings up the editor as it did this morning.

Google Chrome and W10, updated to latest version two days ago.

Thanks for the help. This should be fixed now. Tricksey hobbitses, these bugs.

Somethine else wrong now. I just rejected a pending member and (assume) he was automatically sent our active rejection notice. Immediately (*) afterwards I started seeing the banner, repeatedly, about "there was an error saving your draft." But there was no draft.  (* The only thing I did after rejecting the member was go into our rejection notice to check its current reading. I didn't touch it or create, or try to create, any drafts.)

Ok here's the new bug: now, whenever going into any member notice, the banner comes up, and comes up repeatedly, until you exit the notice - even if you didn't touch the notice.

Chris Jones

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 06:42 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Ok here's the new bug: now, whenever going into any member notice, the banner comes up
I've been sitting on the sidelines of this topic but I can confirm this latest oddity.

Chris

Hi All,

Again, I haven't been able to reproduce the problem exactly as described here, but I did find a bug and have fixed it. Please let me know if you still see issues.

Unfortunately, the behavior persists. Go into any member notice and you immediately see the banner at the top:
"There was an error saving your draft. Will try again in 30 seconds" and then a countdown. And then at 0, it repeats.
I'm on a new(ish) Macbook Pro running updated Firefox. Tried it in safari and get same behavior.

(I don't know if this is a feature of the error notice, but it seems to start with 10 seconds and then a countdown. Then 30 seconds. The last one was 60 seconds. And when I go back into the page, it is still counting down...)

I also fleetingly saw it just now in THIS group, after hitting "send" on the previous message, right before it said "your message has been sent."

Sorry for the dribbling messages (my downfall and against the group guidelines, I know), but the next time I went back into my group, a couple of seconds ago, it was counting down at 128 seconds. I'll stop there.

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 12:41 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, the behavior persists. Go into any member notice and you immediately see the banner at the top:
"There was an error saving your draft. Will try again in 30 seconds" and then a countdown. And then at 0, it repeats.
I'm on a new(ish) Macbook Pro running updated Firefox. Tried it in safari and get same behavior.

Whereas before I was unable to reproduce this, I was able to reproduce it now. It should be fixed.

Chris Jones

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 09:01 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It should be fixed.

Seems OK to me now anyway!

Chris

Same here. All is good. :-)

On Aug 10, 2021, at 1:35 PM, Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 09:01 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It should be fixed.

Seems OK to me now anyway!

Chris

Well, this is odd. I just saw another *fleeting* banner when going into another group in which I'm a mod. I hadn't done anything in the group. It disappeared immediately. Was like a ghost.

Aha. I'm sorry for the dribble but I just discovered the cause: when I went into the other group, I had just composed a draft in THIS group. I did it again to test, by changing the draft a tiny bit and going into the other group again. And there it was again, at the top of THAT group. Very fleetingly.

Mark,

There is *definitely* still a bug in the "error saving your draft" banner. When I compose a draft in one group and go into another group, the red banner immediately appears *for a split second* at the top of the second group, then disappears. It seems to have (I would like to say: it "obviously has") something to do with the draft being saved in the first group. This is still there, it's there predictably, and is not my imagination! I swear! ;) I had forgotten all about it since my last post on this. But then I composed a message here tonight (in Andy's thread on the unsubbing banned member), went into my test group to try something out, and there it was again. For a second I was flummoxed wondering what it was, and then I remembered this thread.

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 05:53 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
There is *definitely* still a bug in the "error saving your draft" banner.
I'm seeing this all the time when I post a message and when I posted a message to my group a few minutes ago, I saw two red banners for a second.  It doesn't look good.

Andy

Mark,

Just a heads up that this behavior is still there. The red warning appears and then immediately disappears when I compose a draft and exit for any reason (and then come back).

A last word on this: this is totally consistent and reproducible. Start a message, go outside of it to check on something somewhere else, and the red warning will flash for a split second.

Peter Cook

Just fyi, this was occurring maybe a week ago. Now I can't make it happen anymore.

Pete

Interesting. It’s happening consistently for me, but only when I go out of the draft to do something else. Happened twice today, 100% of the times (two) that I composed a draft and went outside of it. Are you going outside the draft, into another page or group?

On Aug 23, 2021, at 1:59 PM, Peter Cook <peterscottcook@...> wrote:

Just fyi, this was occurring maybe a week ago. Now I can't make it happen anymore.

Pete

And, I can make it happen. I composed a draft in my test group and went into this group. The warning flashed immediately. It's consistent and entirely reproducible for me.

And, the bug is still there today. I will stop reporting this, but I was startled to see it again this morning so thought I would update. It happened because - again - I had gone out of the draft to check on something.

Donald Hellen

J_Catlady . . .

On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 12:55:01 -0700, "J_Catlady"
<j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

And, the bug is still there today. I will stop reporting this, but I was startled to see it again this morning so thought I would update. It happened because - again - I had gone out of the draft to check on something.
While this isn't a solution or fix to that problem, when I want to go
somewhere else on the web site a tab is open, I right-click on the tab
and click "duplicate" to have two identical tabs. Then I use one of
them to navigate to where I need to look then click on the other
duplicated tab to go back to where I was. There would be no changes to
the original web page I was on when duplicating the tab in the
browser.

I don't know what would happen if you duplicated the tab then tried to
do two different things on the same page in the different tabs but I
wouldn't even think of trying that anyway.

Maybe this work-around would be useful for others. I use it on many
sites.

Donald

Donald,

There's no workaround necessary or even worth the trouble. The bug does not cause an actual problem. It is just a "wrong thing" that happens. The banner should not be there.

Hmm, I also just got it while in the NewTopic screen, albeit not leaving the screen (per se) but when I clicked on Discard draft.  The red "Error saving draft" notice flashed momentarily then the green "draft discarded" notice came up as normally.

Cheers,
Christos

It might be haunted. ;)

Here is another situation in which it occurs: compose a Message to Member and send it. The moment you hit Send, the red banner flashes for a split second.

Hi All,

I was able to (finally) duplicate a case where the error banner would briefly show up, using Firefox. I ended up refactoring all the editor code and I fixed that bug.

Please let me know if you see any other issues.

Seems fixed!

Nope, not fixed. I just composed a draft of a message, then deleted it. I got the banner not once but multiple times, flashing and then disappearing.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 05:04 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
multiple times, flashing and then disappearing
I tell you, it's haunted!!!

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 5:04 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Nope, not fixed. I just composed a draft of a message, then deleted it. I got the banner not once but multiple times, flashing and then disappearing.

More detail please. Can you give me the exact steps to reproduce this? And which browser are you using?

Mark,

I realized right afterwards that you would need more detail. And I tried to reproduced it and couldn't (I will try again). I am using Firefox.
To the best of my recollection:

1. I composed a "send message" draft from within a pending message
2. I decided to discard it and hit "discard"
3. I saw the flashing red banner, long enough to read "will try again in n seconds" etc.
4. I saw it again, right before exiting the page

Steps 3 and 4 happened concurrently with my brain's processing the instruction the exit the page. It was all simultaneous. By the time I was actually out of the page, it was all over. I thought immediately afterwards that if I had stayed longer, I might have seen even more banners. As it was, there were only two.

Right after sending the message here about it, I went into my test group and tried to reproduce this, but so far have been unsuccessful.

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 03:38 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
More detail please. Can you give me the exact steps to reproduce this?
One of my members has reported this happening in the app too. He tried posting a message and then posted the same message again as he saw an error the first time:

Andy

Mark, how do we get out of the test version?

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 10:51 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Mark, how do we get out of the test version?

Just click on the 'TEST VERSION' text at the top. Alternatively, visit this url: https://groups.io/unsettest

Cheers,
Mark

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 03:38 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
More detail please. Can you give me the exact steps to reproduce this? And which browser are you using?

I just opened a saved draft message on Beta and hit the discard button and got these two messages:

The draft message was discarded after a few seconds.

This was on Windows 10 using Firefox 93.0 (64-bit)

Andy

Hi Andy,

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 3:00 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 03:38 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
More detail please. Can you give me the exact steps to reproduce this? And which browser are you using?

I just opened a saved draft message on Beta and hit the discard button and got these two messages:

I just pushed a couple changes that should hopefully fix this.