moderated Improved draft saving #update

Hi All,

I just pushed a change to how we save drafts. If there is an error saving the draft, we now display an error message, with a countdown to when we will try saving again. This is how Gmail works. Hopefully this should help with issues around drafts going missing.

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 06:05 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If there is an error saving the draft, we now display an error message, with a countdown to when we will try saving again.
Mark -- This seems to have introduced a new (minor) bug. Whenever I hit the Discard button, I get an error message:

There was an error saving the draft. Please reload the page.

Sometimes I get two of these banners.

The draft is indeed discarded, but if I reload the page as requested, the editor comes back up. To exit this "error loop" I have to browse to a different page and come back.

Regards,
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 4:07 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

Mark -- This seems to have introduced a new (minor) bug. Whenever I hit the Discard button, I get an error message:

There was an error saving the draft. Please reload the page.

I'm unable to reproduce this. What browser are you using?

Marv Waschke

I just got the same behavior as Bruce. Typed a line, hit discard, Got two banners, one with countdown. The message was not actually discarded. Running 64 bit Firefox 90.0.2
Best, Marv

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 9:22 AM Marv Waschke <marvwaschke@...> wrote:
I just got the same behavior as Bruce. Typed a line, hit discard, Got two banners, one with countdown. The message was not actually discarded. Running 64 bit Firefox 90.0.2

Thanks for the report. This is difficult for me to reproduce. That said, I've just pushed some changes that hopefully will fix it. Please let me know if you see it again.

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 12:41 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
That said, I've just pushed some changes that hopefully will fix it. Please let me know if you see it again.
Mark -- Lost the draft I was composing while you pushed the change.

Still getting the error message with the request to refresh, but not the separate countdown error (see screenshot). When I refresh the page it no longer brings up the editor as it did this morning.

Google Chrome and W10, updated to latest version two days ago.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 12:48 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
When I refresh the page it no longer brings up the editor as it did this morning.
I spoke too soon on this.

This morning I clicked a footer link [in a digest I received overnight] to View/Reply Online. This brought up the message with a "reply=1" query string.

When I hit Discard at this point, I get the error banner. When I refresh the page as requested, the query string is still there, so the editor opens again.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 9:48 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

Mark -- Lost the draft I was composing while you pushed the change.

Still getting the error message with the request to refresh, but not the separate countdown error (see screenshot). When I refresh the page it no longer brings up the editor as it did this morning.

Google Chrome and W10, updated to latest version two days ago.

Thanks for the help. This should be fixed now. Tricksey hobbitses, these bugs.

Somethine else wrong now. I just rejected a pending member and (assume) he was automatically sent our active rejection notice. Immediately (*) afterwards I started seeing the banner, repeatedly, about "there was an error saving your draft." But there was no draft.  (* The only thing I did after rejecting the member was go into our rejection notice to check its current reading. I didn't touch it or create, or try to create, any drafts.)

Ok here's the new bug: now, whenever going into any member notice, the banner comes up, and comes up repeatedly, until you exit the notice - even if you didn't touch the notice.

Chris Jones

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 06:42 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Ok here's the new bug: now, whenever going into any member notice, the banner comes up
I've been sitting on the sidelines of this topic but I can confirm this latest oddity.

Chris

Hi All,

Again, I haven't been able to reproduce the problem exactly as described here, but I did find a bug and have fixed it. Please let me know if you still see issues.

Unfortunately, the behavior persists. Go into any member notice and you immediately see the banner at the top:
"There was an error saving your draft. Will try again in 30 seconds" and then a countdown. And then at 0, it repeats.
I'm on a new(ish) Macbook Pro running updated Firefox. Tried it in safari and get same behavior.

(I don't know if this is a feature of the error notice, but it seems to start with 10 seconds and then a countdown. Then 30 seconds. The last one was 60 seconds. And when I go back into the page, it is still counting down...)

I also fleetingly saw it just now in THIS group, after hitting "send" on the previous message, right before it said "your message has been sent."

Sorry for the dribbling messages (my downfall and against the group guidelines, I know), but the next time I went back into my group, a couple of seconds ago, it was counting down at 128 seconds. I'll stop there.

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 12:41 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, the behavior persists. Go into any member notice and you immediately see the banner at the top:
"There was an error saving your draft. Will try again in 30 seconds" and then a countdown. And then at 0, it repeats.
I'm on a new(ish) Macbook Pro running updated Firefox. Tried it in safari and get same behavior.

Whereas before I was unable to reproduce this, I was able to reproduce it now. It should be fixed.

Chris Jones

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 09:01 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It should be fixed.

Seems OK to me now anyway!

Chris

Same here. All is good. :-)

On Aug 10, 2021, at 1:35 PM, Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 09:01 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It should be fixed.

Seems OK to me now anyway!

Chris

Well, this is odd. I just saw another *fleeting* banner when going into another group in which I'm a mod. I hadn't done anything in the group. It disappeared immediately. Was like a ghost.