Topics

moderated HTML format for incoming emails #suggestion

Shahid

The group changes the HTML formatted email it recieves instead of accepting what was sent. Here is an example of a message I composed in Thunderbird and how it appears in Thunderbird and how it appears on the group.

This is what it looks like in Thunderbird (and suppose to look like on groups too):

And this is what it looks like when it is posted on the group:

The font size and text alignment is lost and changed to whatever the group sets as default. Please make changes so that the group posts the message as it was sent instead of changing it.

billsf9c

The Thunderbird version, for me, was unreadable as text ran off the page to the right... and the latter image was fine...

But then I hit Reply to mention this, and the Thunderburd image has moved to the left and both are readable.

FYI-
Android native browser
BillSF9c

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 04:23 PM, Shahid wrote:
The font size and text alignment is lost and changed to whatever the group sets as default. Please make changes so that the group posts the message as it was sent instead of changing it.
Shahid -- First, check your group settings. If you have the "Normalize HTML Emails" box checked, uncheck it.

Beyond that, the ability to render any page as sent depends on page width, aspect ratio, and the availability of these same fonts on the receiving end (browser, mail client and/or OS). If they're not available, a font from the same "family" will be substituted.

In addition, some constructs that folks may choose to include in an email (such as iframes and inline javascript) have to be stripped so they cannot be used as vectors for malware.

I'm not saying that it couldn't be better than it is -- in particular, the stripping of benign inline styles (like that one that centers your example footer link) does not seem to be justified. Within reason, though, it's appropriate to me that groups.io continue to do whatever is necessary to ensure not only the security of the system but also the deliverability of group messages to the widest possible audience.

My $0.02,
Bruce

Shahid

Bruce,

The "normalize html emails" box is unchecked. If it were checked then the font color would be removed, which it is not as you can see.

I do not include any constructs (eg iframes, javascript) in the emails. I strip the text to plain text before pasting it in Thunderbird and then the only formatting I do is changing the font to cambria/calibiri, font color, font size, and text alignment. Those are the only changes I make to the plain text. I used to do the same thing in yahoogroups and before that in egroups (what your groups is based off) and I never had any issues.

My browser (Firefox) and OS (win7) has the necessary things to render the email as I sent. I never had these issue in yahoogroups, googlegroups, or egroups.

It's important that the group displays the message the same way as it is in the email because I use the group's message as a website and share that link with others (especially on social media) and they come to the group to see the messageĀ  instead of me sending an email to so many people constantly. This is free publicity for your site and benefits you.... and I can't do that if the desired message formatting is lost. Hence the reason my suggestion to fix the issue.

Shahid