Topics

locked how to deal with bouncing

ro-esp

From: CatWoman <@CatWomanDiana>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 08:50:16 PST

On 1/15/2015 8:32 AM, Jim Fisher wrote:
The system should not be too quick to remove memberships based on messages
bouncing,
That's the issue with YG - they have a bounce list, but
unless a mod or owner checks it regularly - or someone
complains about no longer receiving mail, the email is
effectively set to nomail.

What MailMan does is send out a message the 1st of every
month - just basically a reminder to the person that they
are subbed to the group (a special notice, in effect).
Bounce notices are sent to the owner address and I think
the person is set to nomail.

LSoft sends out an annual probe - but it will remove any
email that bounces more than <X> times (Since I no longer
run any LSoft lists, I can't remember if the value of X
is set by the list owner or the system admin).

What I'd like to see is something between MailMan and
Yahoo - don't wait for the special message - but don't
just stick the email in a bounce list. Send a notice
to the owner that mail to <email> is bouncing.
Yes, it would be nice if moderators got notified if a message doesn't reach its destination. maybe once a week or so.

Sending out a test message once a month seems a bit overenthusiastic, and should not be done when a regular message has been sent within the last two months or so

groetjes, Ronaldo

--
http://www.esperanto.net http://www.moneyasdebt.net

On 1/18/2015 5:24 PM, ro-esp wrote:

Sending out a test message once a month seems a bit overenthusiastic,
and should not be done when a regular message has been sent within the
last two months or so
I own lists on MailMan on 3 platforms - I think the "probe"
message options are monthly or never (will have to go look
it up).

dg