Topics

locked Home Page Formatting #suggestion

Nightowl >8#

Okay, the Home page format was one of our biggest problems in Ygroups, especially when NEO hit. So it's pretty much a dealbreaker for many people if the Home Page is hard to configure or work with.

Cover Photo:

So far, even I can't figure out how to put up a photo well without a lot of hassle, stretching of the photo, or more. The only reason my two Owl banners work is someone else made them, and they worked in the nightmare format NEO gave us. I attempted on Owlperch to make a black frame, and make the black frame the right size, and position the photo inside of it, but it still stretched. Is that any sort of an option, have a background we could choose and then position our photo inside that background somewhere?

Group Title:

I understand you wanting the title of the group on top of the photo, but that is very problematic with colors and shades of different group photos. What if you just made a banner bar at the bottom, in black with the group title, and made the photo space a little shorter? Then maybe we could find a way to easily put a photo up? Bear in mind that most groups changed their cover photos often, some even daily or weekly, so that needs to be something they can easily do, and not everyone can edit photos.

Home Page Format:

The Home page has the cover photo and description of the group, but as it has been pointed out, doesn't easily direct you to the Archive/ Message Board or Page or etc. What about adding a button or a link with some words that say something like "To view the posts Archive, past and present" click here. I saw that you made a link on your Beta Home Page, but I would not have understood what that was for if someone in here hadn't pointed it out.

Another option would be if the group is public, to have the last 5 posts appear on the Home Page, or maybe the last 5 first posts of the last 5 threads, something to get their attention, so that they could click on those and be taken to the Archives.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Brenda

I'm not a fan of the home page either. User's generally want to see what kinds of messages are being posted in a group. Email addresses, top tags, top posters, ect. are all interesting, but generally not the first thing you want to see. I'd be fine if this was moved into an info page for advanced users.

Duane

Chris,

That all depends on the users and the group. I'd rather not have Top Posters (nor Recent Photos when implemented) shown on the page visible to the public like it is now. If it was a public group, I wouldn't mind so much. I think the ultimate solution would be for which items are displayed to be controlled by the group owner. Maybe a limited subset could be configurable. I would think that Group Description, Group Settings, and Group Email Addresses should always be shown. Message History was also a concern for a lot of Yahoo group owners to indicate activity. Top Hashtags could go either way.

For me, the group home page is a very temporary stop, if I see it at all. I've got bookmarks to the archives/messages set up for most of them. I want it to have enough information to entice folks to join, but not so much that it looks cluttered.

Duane

Judy F.

I agree Duane. A lot of groups have the basic group rules, such as if advertising is allowed, what the group is about. I don't think a lot of that stuff should be there either.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

[...]

Maybe I should rephrase my previous statement. I don't think a lot of the extra stuff, should be on the homepage. I think a description of the group, what is allowed and isn't type stuff and of course the various group email addresses.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA