Topics

moderated Hide Email Addresses In Archives fails to mask email addresses in Display Names #bug

 

Mark,

An admittedly unusual situation, but I've a group where many non-member posters have their email address duplicated in the Display Name field of the From they post with.

This causes their full email address to be shown in Topics & Messages lists, as well in opened messages -- even when the archives are viewed by a non-member.

Applying the same rule used for message bodies to email address syntax matched in the Display Name display would resolve this.

Shal

 

Oh, so you can't change their Display Name because they have no member record. Interesting situation. 

However, I don't know if the masking rule for message bodies should generally be applied to Display Names in "normal" groups. I think that in "normal" groups you'd want some sort of comprehensible, complete Display Name in all cases, but if the email address is wiped out because of a masking rule, you'd have nothing. You could go in and change it in a "normal" group, but that might require some detective work in some cases. Imagine a message showing up as being by "Suzanne@..." and your group has 10 Suzannes (which is actually the case in my group:). You'd have to go into email to decipher who it was actually from.

Or I'm misunderstanding the suggestion.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

 

What if the Display Name for a non-member simply read "Non-member"? If anyone wants to start actively participating in the group, they can join and you can have control over their Display Name. Because after all, a group is a "group" (of members, generally speaking:)
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

 

J,

Imagine a message showing up as being by "Suzanne@..." and your group
has 10 Suzannes (which is actually the case in my group:).
It seems highly unlikely that even two of them have Suzanne as the user part of their actual email address. That would mean that they have unique email domains. On the other hand ten given names of Suzanne in their display names is believable, but would be an issue outside the scope of my report.

Or I'm misunderstanding the suggestion.
I think so.

In a normal working group the member's email address is not displayed in either the lists or the opened messages - only the display name.

Except for members with no Display Name set. I'd be happy to leave that exception and not mask the Groups.io fill-in for a member with a blank display name (that's outside my use case).

In my use case the Display Name shown is the part of the From field that came before the < which delimits the email address proper. And in the cases I have those are plenty diverse enough to identify senders, even with the requested masking of domains.

What if the Display Name for a non-member simply read "Non-member"?
Ack, no. Then users reading the archives couldn't tell who's writing except by opening the message body and hoping for a signature.

Shal

 

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 11:21 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
In a normal working group the member's email address is not displayed in either the lists or the opened messages - only the display name.
Exactly. But the display name IS the email address (since groups. io harvests it from any email sent to the group) or blank (if they've sent no email yet) until the member or a mod changes it. And I understand your issue to be that you can't change the display name, because there's no place to do that if there's no member - there's just the email address.

I'd be happy to leave that exception and not mask the Groups.io fill-in for a member with a blank display name (that's outside my use case).
 
What I don't understand is why you think this is an "exception." IIRC (and I may not), fig-leafing of email addresses was distinctly discussed and implemented for email addresses *that members post within their message bodies.* Not for the members' own email addresses.

What if the Display Name for a non-member simply read "Non-member"? .. Ack, no. Then users reading the archives couldn't tell who's writing except by opening the message body and hoping for a signature.
I would say that anyone who wants to be treated as a group member should join the group. That means that either their email address will display with their messages, or (as I suggested) the person would not be identified at all. I would argue strongly against masking all email-address display names in every group that masks email addresses in message bodies (which includes mine) just because of the odd (IMO) use-case where you want non-members to post AND have their email addresses hidden. 

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

 

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 11:21 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
It seems highly unlikely that even two of them have Suzanne as the user part of their actual email address.
That part is true. Also, I checked and we have 5 Suzannes, 10 Susans, and 5 Sues. :-)
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

 

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 11:21 AM, Shal Farley wrote:

In my use case the Display Name shown is the part of the From field that came before the < which delimits the email address proper.
Shal, I think that's correct and that my statement that groups.io harvests and uses the email address as the display name is wrong. I think it harvests, as you reference here, the name that comes before the actual email address. However, if that's the case, then I don't understand why the actual email addresses are showing as the display names for your non-member posters. So I will take a (possibly temporary;) break from this thread until I understand the issue.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Thomas Gruber
 

Hi J,
I did a little test - configured an email account and put the email address also into the „name“ field (in Apple mail on iPad actually). Then I sent a message to Groups.io to a group that accepts messages from non members. 
Then the message appeared in Groups.io with the name part showing the email address, as I had set up the account. The part inside the < > (the proper email address) only showed the part before the @ sign)
So anyone configuring their account with the email address used both as the name and as the address would show their email address in the online version of Groups.io.
My opinion is that that‘s their own fault - the „name“ part of an email configuration should have the real name, or a nickname if you don‘t want to show your name to the public. But if you give away your email address by putting it into the name field then a system like groups.io can‘t correct that ( and maybe shouldn‘t).
Thomas

Am 02.02.2020 um 21:58 schrieb J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...>:

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 11:21 AM, Shal Farley wrote:

In my use case the Display Name shown is the part of the From field that came before the < which delimits the email address proper.
Shal, I think that's correct and that my statement that groups.io harvests and uses the email address as the display name is wrong. I think it harvests, as you reference here, the name that comes before the actual email address. However, if that's the case, then I don't understand why the actual email addresses are showing as the display names for your non-member posters. So I will take a (possibly temporary;) break from this thread until I understand the issue.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

 

Ok, now I get it. These people are using their email address for the name portion of their email address. Pretty we’d. I guess I can now see how that qualifies (sort of) as an example of “posting” an email address as text. It seems to apply to any group in which people (for unknown reasons) do this, not just groups where non members can post. I’m on either way since this would not seeem to occur commonly in most groups.


On Feb 2, 2020, at 1:37 PM, Thomas Gruber <computerhusky@...> wrote:

Hi J,
I did a little test - configured an email account and put the email address also into the „name“ field (in Apple mail on iPad actually). Then I sent a message to Groups.io to a group that accepts messages from non members. 
Then the message appeared in Groups.io with the name part showing the email address, as I had set up the account. The part inside the < > (the proper email address) only showed the part before the @ sign)
So anyone configuring their account with the email address used both as the name and as the address would show their email address in the online version of Groups.io.
My opinion is that that‘s their own fault - the „name“ part of an email configuration should have the real name, or a nickname if you don‘t want to show your name to the public. But if you give away your email address by putting it into the name field then a system like groups.io can‘t correct that ( and maybe shouldn‘t).
Thomas

Am 02.02.2020 um 21:58 schrieb J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...>:

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 11:21 AM, Shal Farley wrote:

In my use case the Display Name shown is the part of the From field that came before the < which delimits the email address proper.
Shal, I think that's correct and that my statement that groups.io harvests and uses the email address as the display name is wrong. I think it harvests, as you reference here, the name that comes before the actual email address. However, if that's the case, then I don't understand why the actual email addresses are showing as the display names for your non-member posters. So I will take a (possibly temporary;) break from this thread until I understand the issue.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

 

Mark,

I wrote:

Applying the same rule used for message bodies to email address syntax
matched in the Display Name display would resolve this.
I hope it is understood that I'm still interested in a resolution to this, my lack of response to some of the advice and comments from others notwithstanding.

Shal