Topics

locked Hashtags for single messages (not topics) #suggestion

Christos G. Psarras

Gretchin,

As a moderator, it would be delicious to tag certain messages that turned out to be really useful, worthy of saving and sharing to the group. Since you can use hashtags to act as aggregators of particular topics (not Topics), I would find it really useful to add a hashtag to content that already exists, rather than copying/pasting into files or the wiki.
<<<

Now that I finally got what you want to do, in conjunction with J's suggestion, I do see the value, and the connection; you both want the same thing really, you on the group level, J on the user level.  Functionality like this can be useful in more than message browsing, could also be used in the Wiki as a single link to that message collection instead of lots of separate links.

In the meantime, there is a roundabout way to do what you want to accomplice, not the most elegant and not without just a bit of work, but it would work and allow you to to start the specific hashtag collections you want right now.  The catch is that it should be done though email for the least amount of work.

1. Find the email message you want to tag as #bestoftheweek for example.
2. Click on Forward.
3. Address it to the group.
4. Edit the subject and remove any other hashtag and add #bestoftheweek
5. Make sure the original Subject/Date/From/To/Date headers are shown in the message body, they should as most email apps do that.
6. Delete extraneous stuff like the original footers, antivirus SIGS, etc.
7. Send to the group. (starts a new Topic and adds it self to the hashtag collection)

You could do something similar online only, but it would be a bit more editing work:

1. Find the message you want to tag as #bestoftheweek for example.
2. If you are in message view, copy the URL link; if you are in Topic view, look at the extreme right of the message next to the date and you'll see the message number and link icon, right-click on it and select Copy Link.
3. Right-click on "New Topic" at the left and open in a new tab, switch to it.
4. Paste the in the body, along with any other text you may want to add like "Original message:" or something; or nothing.
5. Copy and paste the subject, edit and remove any other hashtag and add #bestoftheweek.
6. Copy and paste the message body.
7. Send to the group. (starts a new Topic and adds it self to the hashtag collection)

Yes, in either case the messages will appear as posted by you, that's why the forward or URL paste to give attribution to the original poster.

Cheers,
Christos

KWKloeber

But again, she wants to tag an individual message, not modify the Topic (and thereby break the thread.)
Wouldn't it be "better" to simply open the desired message on the web GUI, edit it, add a tag (such as %bestoftheweek%) and Save w/o sending the edit back out to members?

The thread is preserved, and the desired tag is added w/ no fuss, no muss in basically one step.

-k

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 10:09 PM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
Wouldn't it be "better" to simply open the desired message on the web GUI, edit it, add a tag
Go ahead and try that and please report back. I'm curious what you find.

Christos G. Psarras

Ken,

>>>  I searched the gio HELP page (which in itself has no search feature - hmmmmm) and didn't see anything 'bout boolean.

The GIO help page doesn't have a search box because its' a single web page, one can use Ctrl-F for that.

It can use some updating though.

Here, no clue of when this took place:

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Using-the-Search-Engine

Cheers,

Christos

KWKloeber

>>>Go ahead and try that and please report back. I'm curious what you find.<<<

Do a search on this forum for the tag %message_of_the_week%
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30

easy peazy, one step.

-k

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 01:21 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 10:09 PM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
Wouldn't it be "better" to simply open the desired message on the web GUI, edit it, add a tag
Go ahead and try that and please report back. I'm curious what you find.

Christos G. Psarras

Ken, I'm trying to make sense of your message's context as related to you replying to my message I addressed to Gretchen, as that's how it appears, both in my inbox and online.  Just to make sure, was your message indeed a reply to my message to Gretchin, or did you press the wrong Reply link, or was it supposed to be in general reference and you just forgot to trim my message text??

Cheers,

Christos

On 2020-01-17 01:09, Ken Kloeber via Groups.Io wrote:
But again, she wants to tag an individual message, not modify the Topic (and thereby break the thread.)
Wouldn't it be "better" to simply open the desired message on the web GUI, edit it, add a tag (such as %bestoftheweek%) and Save w/o sending the edit back out to members?

The thread is preserved, and the desired tag is added w/ no fuss, no muss in basically one step.

-k

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 12:40 AM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
Gretchin,

As a moderator, . . .

I don’t understand the relevance of that sailboat. My point is that you can’t edit a subject (title), including just to add a hashtag, by editing a message. You have to edit the topic. And that makes the new subject apply to the whole point. Because hashtags apply to subjects and subjects apply to topics. Not messages.

I was hoping to lead you to discover that by trying to do it. But you posted a picture of a sailboat. I get seasick on sailboats. 😢

On Jan 16, 2020, at 10:51 PM, Ken Kloeber via Groups.Io <KWKloeber@...> wrote:

>>>Go ahead and try that and please report back. I'm curious what you find.<<<

Do a search on this forum for the tag %message_of_the_week%
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30

easy peazy, one step.

-k

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 01:21 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 10:09 PM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
Wouldn't it be "better" to simply open the desired message on the web GUI, edit it, add a tag
Go ahead and try that and please report back. I'm curious what you find.

Typo - should read “apply to the whole topic”

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 03:22 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I don’t understand the relevance of that sailboat. My point is that you can’t edit a subject (title), including just to add a hashtag, by editing a message. You have to edit the topic. And that makes the new subject apply to the whole point. Because hashtags apply to subjects and subjects apply to topics. Not messages.

I was hoping to lead you to discover that by trying to do it. But you posted a picture of a sailboat. I get seasick on sailboats. 😢\
Obviously, you did not follow instructions.

I said:  DO A SEARCH on the forum (not look at the home page photo)  :-)

AGAIN - 1,2,3
1. click on https://groups.io/g/Catalina30
2. Search the messages for %message_of_the_week%
3. You will see where I added a simple tag (i.e., " %message_of_the_week% " to an existing message.  (Obviously also, you can make up any tag that you want to.)
4. NO it does not modify the Topic, that's NOT what she wants (why would I then propose that?)

It's EZ-PZ to do and you do it in one simple step.  YOU DO NOT edit the topic (and end up breaking the thread,) you edit/add a tag to THE MESSAGE body, which is what she wanted to do.  Anyone can then do a search on that tag.

easy peazy, one step.

-k

KWKloeber

 Christos,

I replied to your reply, with an alternate (and IMO better) way to tag a message.  One simple step instead of forwarding emails and 6 or steps or whatever it was.

Follow the same instructions I gave to J and you'll see the result.

Cheers,
-k

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 12:41 AM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
you edit/add a tag to THE MESSAGE body,

Of course you can add tags to message bodies.  I, too, suggested simply using the search function as a workaround. I don't think that's the gist of the original request.

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 12:45 AM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
I replied to your reply, with an alternate (and IMO better) way to tag a message
But Christos's suggestion actually created a hashtag on the individual message by creating a single-message new thread. Since your reply was a response to his and mentioned a "better" way, the impression was that you thought your method of editing an individual message would accomplish the same thing. I think we're now on the same page that it doesn't.

Samuel Murrayy

On 16/01/2020 05:48, Gretchin Lair wrote:

I'd love to see hashtags available for single messages within topics, not just whole topics. For instance, #bestof, #messageoftheweek, #archive, or the first message in a topic where the replies don’t matter. Provide a link to see the whole thread from that message.
Some here have said that this would be confusing because it would mean that hashtags would then be used in two different ways, but I don't think it would necessarily be confusing.

If I understand correctly, what you're basically asking for is that there should be special "search" links at the bottom of an e-mail in which a subject line hashtag was detected, so that users don't have to perform these searches manually.

I know, I know, on GIO, hashtags are used for **topic management**, but I don't see why they can't be also used for filtering or searching (i.e. "following").

So, what I would suggest, is this:

When a message is received by GIO, it checks that the message's subject line to see if there is anything resembling hashtags, and if so, creates links in the footer of the message.

See screenshot, assuming the message in question is in a topic where #suggestion, #request and #hashtag are topic hashtags but where that particular message also contain #goodidea and #fantastic. The "search" links link to a message search, e.g.

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/search?q=%23goodidea

(At this time, GIO can't specify searching within subject lines only, but I imagine it's coming, and when it happens, this search would obviously search only the subject lines.)

Samuel

KWKloeber

>>>On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 04:19 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
But Christos's suggestion actually created a hashtag on the individual message by creating a single-message new thread. Since your reply was a response to his and mentioned a "better" way, the impression was that you thought your method of editing an individual message would accomplish the same thing. I think we're now on the same page that it doesn't.<<<

NO, C's method does not create a tag on the individual message.  And the 1st line above doesn't make logical sense anyway.  One cannot tag an individual message by creating a new message.  That is creating a whole new message/thread/topic.
Anyone can do that with no change to the system that currently exists. It's called copy/paste/send.  That (IMO) defeats the purpose of tagging a single message within an existing thread, which is (IMO) what G had requested.  I don't comprehend why folks try to find workarounds to suggestions/requests that don't meet the desire of the original request/suggestion. It's an ailment of this group. It occurs continually and it's so dang flustrating that I have simply turned off notifications   It makes my head explode.  It's like "I don't see merit in the request/suggestion. so I'll suggest something else that shows why it doesn't need to be implemented."  I'm not saying that's the intent -- but that's how it oftentimes comes across, intended or not.

>>>and mentioned a "better" way, the impression was that you thought your method of editing an individual message would accomplish the same thing.<<<

The "better way" referred to, was a better workaround to accomplish what G requested (since C's steps do not accomplish what she requested.)
I will leave it to G to tell me that I'm misinterpreting her request/suggestion, but note her topic was to 'tag a single message,' not 'start a new thread w/ a tag on it'.

>>>Of course you can add tags to message bodies.  I, too, suggested simply using the search function as a workaround. I don't think that's the gist of the original request. <<<
1) One does not need to gist or reinterpret anything.  Just reference G's messages.  "add a hashtag to content that already exists".  No magic here - She simply wants a way to add tags that can be associated with Indv messages and presumably if implemented, it would display in a box not on a NEW message, but on the original indiv message (the tag being chosen from a mod-created set of tags.)  Where?  Who cares - displayed underneath the topic?  In the body?  In a footer? other options?  No, she did not request specifically to embed the tag as the 1st line of the message body (but that is certainly one option.)  I am suggesting a temporary method for G to accomplish what she desires during the interim (or maybe it will need to be the permanent way if not implemented.).
2) No she cannot "simply" search.  How would you currently search this group to locate all the first messages of each thread, without embedding something into each first message?

If G wanted to start a new identical topic except w/ a tag added, with one message in it, I am sure she understands she could do that, but that's not what she asked for.  Y'all are not addressing her desire - to wit: "add a hashtag to content that already existsnot, start a new message/thread (because that will not modify the existing content -- it posts new content and a new topic, which then the tagged message is outside the original thread and then the sequence and everything else gets discombobulated.

Some examples G cited were:
"#bestof" (presumably marking something like the best answer to the question raised in this thread)
"the first message in a topic"  (presumably being able to search for all the initial posts that occurred over any range of messages and/or topics.)
Unless the original message stays intact/within the thread, there is little benefit to another method (like adding hashtagging a different/new one, albeit exact copy of the message body.)

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 11:14 AM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
NO, C's method does not create a tag on the individual message.  And the 1st line above doesn't make logical sense anyway.  One cannot tag an individual message by creating a new message.
If effectively does this by creating a new thread out of the single message, as I explicitly said.
Your method of inserting special symbols into an individual message may be useful but I think falls short of Susan's original request. That's for her to say.

KWKloeber

>>>On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 03:57 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Of course you can add tags to message bodies<<<

PS - no one cannot currently add a tag to a msg body.  One can add or edit some text into it that could later be searched on, but that is not adding a hashtag from a defined set, using a function (pull down, or radio button, or whatever feature/function would be added to gio to accomplish this.)  By that reasoning, one does not need any gio function that adds hashtags to a Topic, one could always instead add some text string that could be searched on later.

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 11:20 AM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
no one cannot currently add a tag to a msg body.
Of course not, which is the point I've been trying to make from square one. You are adding special symbols to imitate or effectively create a tag. I'm giving you kudos for the creativity. Don't put it down.

KWKloeber

>>>On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 02:17 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 11:14 AM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
NO, C's method does not create a tag on the individual message.  And the 1st line above doesn't make logical sense anyway.  One cannot tag an individual message by creating a new message.
If effectively does this by creating a new thread out of the single message, as I explicitly said.
. <<<

As I've lamented before - left coast reasoning.  LOL.   G explicitly stated (and I believe that J and C are missing that point) -- NOT add a tag to a Topic.

Ken,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 11:25 AM Ken Kloeber via Groups.Io <KWKloeber=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

As I've lamented before - left coast reasoning.  LOL.   G explicitly stated (and I believe that J and C are missing that point) -- NOT add a tag to a Topic.

This is the second time that I can recall that you've used the (apparently) pejorative term "left coast reasoning". I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but I do know that the judging intent of that phrase does not fit in this group. Because of that and because of the entirely unhelpful hyperbole in your recent messages, I have set your account on moderation.

Also, I have locked this topic, because nothing constructive is coming out of it at this point.

Mark