moderated Hashtag Limit #misc

Tom Vail

Is there a way around the 5 hashtag limit to ant topic?  (A search did not produce anything on the subject.)

Thanks, Tom

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 1:02 PM Tom Vail <tom@...> wrote:
Is there a way around the 5 hashtag limit to ant topic?  (A search did not produce anything on the subject.)

Not right now. It's an artifact of how I store things in the database (insert a "I'd do it differently next time" here).

Glenn Glazer

On 11/09/2021 13:07, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Not right now. It's an artifact of how I store things in the database (insert a "I'd do it differently next time" here).

I'm guessing differently means a join on a lookup table rather columns in one table.

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

Tom Vail

How soon will next time be?  I just designed a group based on more hashtags, but am now dead in the water.  (I need twice that many.)

Tom

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 1:14 PM Glenn Glazer <glenn.glazer@...> wrote:

I'm guessing differently means a join on a lookup table rather columns in one table.

Correct. Or, store them as a json blob, or something else. I do almost no joins in the entire system.

Mark

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 1:19 PM Tom Vail <tom@...> wrote:
How soon will next time be?  I just designed a group based on more hashtags, but am now dead in the water.  (I need twice that many.)

That's a lot. Can you give some more information? Maybe the group can find a work around for you?

Tom Vail

I have a group of boaters who travel up and down the east coast, over to the Bahamas, up into Canada, and down the inland river system (some are doing the Great Loop).  The group was intended to allow members to post their cruising regions son folks would know when/where other are traveling, but there are about 20 regions.  I set it up so each region had its own hashtag, but with a limit of 5 it drastically reduces the effectiveness of the group...as in not worth doing.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Peace,
Tom

Duane

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 03:33 PM, Tom Vail wrote:
 I set it up so each region had its own hashtag, but with a limit of 5 it drastically reduces the effectiveness of the group...as in not worth doing.
Since there can be up to 5 for each topic, I don't understand why you'd need more than that.  I understand that someone may go to Mexico, Bahamas, etc, but would they need their entire itinerary (hashtags) on one topic?  If I'm reading your information correctly, each person/topic would only be in one region at a time.  Seems that one hashtag would do that.  I could see having 2 or 3 if they're moving from region to region within a short time.  If it's not so much which people, but which regions, you could have a topic for each region that folks would add to when they get there.

Duane

Tom Vail

The original objective was to post plans for 6 or 7 months out, which could include more than 5 regions, especially up in the Canada/Great Lakes area.  One option, is to limit the time horizon so as to limit the number of regions.  But you now how it is when you get a design in your head, you want to make it work.

Tom

Tom Vail

One thing that would be helpful is reduced Topic Durations.  I made a suggestion a while back, which I'm sure is/was not a high priority, but if there was an option to delete a topic in a 3 or 6 month Topic Duration, then it would restrict the need for so many regions.  A 1 year Topic Duration leaves too much time for moving through the network.

Tom