moderated Hashtag duration conflict - who wins? #misc

Tom Vail

If a message is tagged with 2 hashtags which have different durations, which one wins?  Example:  #hashtag1 has a duration of 1 day, and #hashtag2 has a duration of 1 month and both are tagged to a topic, when is it deleted?

Thanks,
Tom

Great question! Maybe the system should disallow that situation in the first place?

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 10:49 AM, Tom Vail wrote:
If a message is tagged with 2 hashtags which have different durations, which one wins?
Based on a quick test, the shortest time wins.  Since there can be logical reasons for this, I don't think the system could control it very well.

Duane

I agree with Duane. The most restrictive restriction should win.

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 9:15 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 10:49 AM, Tom Vail wrote:
If a message is tagged with 2 hashtags which have different durations, which one wins?
Based on a quick test, the shortest time wins.  Since there can be logical reasons for this, I don't think the system could control it very well.

Tom Vail

Okay, here is my issue.  I have a number of posts which have a valid timeframe of less than a year, but within that same hashtag there are some which are permeant.  I would like to have 2 hashtags:  #hashtag1 has a duration of 1 year, and #hashtag2 has a duration of forever.  That way folks posting under hashtag 1 will be deleted, but if also include hashtag 2 they will not be deleted.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Boy, this is like a koan! Let me think on it. 😊

On Oct 13, 2021, at 9:54 AM, Tom Vail <tom@...> wrote:

Okay, here is my issue.  I have a number of posts which have a valid timeframe of less than a year, but within that same hashtag there are some which are permeant.  I would like to have 2 hashtags:  #hashtag1 has a duration of 1 year, and #hashtag2 has a duration of forever.  That way folks posting under hashtag 1 will be deleted, but if also include hashtag 2 they will not be deleted.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Andy

The way I see it, the Hashtag Topic Duration indicates when to delete a Topic, not necessarily a specification of the Topic's ultimate lifetime.  A Hashtag duration of "Forever" is more like "Not limited" or "None", meaning that this Hashtag won't cause the Topic to be deleted.  But having a duration of "Forever" is not a guarantee that the topic lasts forever and you can never delete it, either with another Hashtag or manually.  That's how I see it.

Perhaps use of the word "Forever" is misleading?

I use a few Hashtags here and there, most without any Topic Duration.  The ones with a limited Topic Duration cause the topic to be deleted, even if another Hashtag was  attached.

Andy

I'm finally getting around to trying to understand what you're looking for here:

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 09:53 AM, Tom Vail wrote:
Okay, here is my issue.  I have a number of posts which have a valid timeframe of less than a year, but within that same hashtag there are some which are permeant.  I would like to have 2 hashtags:  #hashtag1 has a duration of 1 year, and #hashtag2 has a duration of forever.  That way folks posting under hashtag 1 will be deleted, but if also include hashtag 2 they will not be deleted.

Suggestions?
Ok, here is a suggestion. You don't have enough hashtags. Keep your #hashtag1 and #hashtag2 but don't assign any set duration to them. Create a third hashtag, #hashtag3, that;s used just to set the duration of a year, and apply it only to the subset of topics marked with the first two tags that you want to expire in a year. Would that work?

Tom Vail

It would work, but too complicated for our average user.

Tom

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 05:13 PM, Tom Vail wrote:
It would work, but too complicated for our average user.
Why? It seems even simpler than your current scheme (which isn't working anyway). Tell your group members that if they want their ad (or whatever it is they're posting - you're making us guess;) to expire in a year, put the hashtag called #ExpireInOneYear on it.