Hashtag duration conflict - who wins? #misc

Tom Vail

If a message is tagged with 2 hashtags which have different durations, which one wins?  Example:  #hashtag1 has a duration of 1 day, and #hashtag2 has a duration of 1 month and both are tagged to a topic, when is it deleted?

Thanks,
Tom

Great question! Maybe the system should disallow that situation in the first place?

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 10:49 AM, Tom Vail wrote:
If a message is tagged with 2 hashtags which have different durations, which one wins?
Based on a quick test, the shortest time wins.  Since there can be logical reasons for this, I don't think the system could control it very well.

Duane

I agree with Duane. The most restrictive restriction should win.

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 9:15 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 10:49 AM, Tom Vail wrote:
If a message is tagged with 2 hashtags which have different durations, which one wins?
Based on a quick test, the shortest time wins.  Since there can be logical reasons for this, I don't think the system could control it very well.

Tom Vail

Okay, here is my issue.  I have a number of posts which have a valid timeframe of less than a year, but within that same hashtag there are some which are permeant.  I would like to have 2 hashtags:  #hashtag1 has a duration of 1 year, and #hashtag2 has a duration of forever.  That way folks posting under hashtag 1 will be deleted, but if also include hashtag 2 they will not be deleted.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Boy, this is like a koan! Let me think on it. 😊

On Oct 13, 2021, at 9:54 AM, Tom Vail <tom@...> wrote:

Okay, here is my issue.  I have a number of posts which have a valid timeframe of less than a year, but within that same hashtag there are some which are permeant.  I would like to have 2 hashtags:  #hashtag1 has a duration of 1 year, and #hashtag2 has a duration of forever.  That way folks posting under hashtag 1 will be deleted, but if also include hashtag 2 they will not be deleted.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Andy

The way I see it, the Hashtag Topic Duration indicates when to delete a Topic, not necessarily a specification of the Topic's ultimate lifetime.  A Hashtag duration of "Forever" is more like "Not limited" or "None", meaning that this Hashtag won't cause the Topic to be deleted.  But having a duration of "Forever" is not a guarantee that the topic lasts forever and you can never delete it, either with another Hashtag or manually.  That's how I see it.

Perhaps use of the word "Forever" is misleading?

I use a few Hashtags here and there, most without any Topic Duration.  The ones with a limited Topic Duration cause the topic to be deleted, even if another Hashtag was  attached.

Andy