Topics

moderated Hashtag and Topic reply to overrides

Yay! Thanks Mark, I’ll check it out in my test group.

On Oct 31, 2018, at 8:57 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 8:09 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I'm finally getting to looking at this. I have not yet tested it, but my biggest and most immediate question is whether the hashtag would override the group setting that disables other reply options. My group is set to "reply to group" and has disabled other reply options, but I would like a hashtag to be able to set a topic to "reply to sender" and override that. My guess is this is not possible. Right?

Hashtags will override group settings, so you should be able to do this.

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 8:09 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I'm finally getting to looking at this. I have not yet tested it, but my biggest and most immediate question is whether the hashtag would override the group setting that disables other reply options. My group is set to "reply to group" and has disabled other reply options, but I would like a hashtag to be able to set a topic to "reply to sender" and override that. My guess is this is not possible. Right?

Hashtags will override group settings, so you should be able to do this.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 04:15 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you see any bugs or have suggestions for improvements.
Mark,

I'm finally getting to looking at this. I have not yet tested it, but my biggest and most immediate question is whether the hashtag would override the group setting that disables other reply options. My group is set to "reply to group" and has disabled other reply options, but I would like a hashtag to be able to set a topic to "reply to sender" and override that. My guess is this is not possible. Right?

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 6:57 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Mark -- I have two questions, both of which relate to how these overrides will interact with group emails.

1) Is there a way to override the reply-to setting for a topic during topic creation? If not, the footer links for those receiving Individual Emails will not comply with the override.

Right now the only way to override on topic creation is through the use of a hashtag.

2) Are subsequent email replies that don't comply with the override put on moderation, rejected, or ????  If something isn't done along those lines then it seems to me that the override isn't really accomplishing its objective.

If you think about it, the Reply To setting is really only a suggestion, except in the case of Reply Only To Sender, which isn't an option at the group level. If a topic is set to Reply Only To Sender, then we actively block messages back to the group.

Mark

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- I have two questions, both of which relate to how these overrides will interact with group emails.

1) Is there a way to override the reply-to setting for a topic during topic creation? If not, the footer links for those receiving Individual Emails will not comply with the override.
2) Are subsequent email replies that don't comply with the override put on moderation, rejected, or ????  If something isn't done along those lines then it seems to me that the override isn't really accomplishing its objective.

Thanks,
Bruce

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 04:15 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This is a bit complicated, I know. Please let me know if you see any bugs or have suggestions for improvements.
I'll get back to you next week on it! :-)

Bruce Bowman

Wow, Mark. I read this three times and it still left me pretty bewildered! So I've been clicking around a bit and...

On hashtags, I've removed the Reply Only To Sender checkbox and replaced it with a dropdown featuring all possible reply to options (all hashtags with the existing Reply Only To Sender were converted to the new scheme). Also, I've made it so that you can override the group's reply to on a topic by topic basis.
Okay, it's been a struggle, but I think I've finally gotten this part.

If a topic has a hashtag that overrides the group reply to and the topic is also set to override the group reply to, the topic setting takes priority.
That strikes me as sensible.

If there are multiple hashtags for a topic that override the reply to, it is not defined which one 'wins out'.
This is cause for concern, is it not? Can't we make the first hashtag win, or something? Any order of precedence is better than none.

In the /topics page, the dropdown displays the 'effective' reply to, as either set by a hashtag or on the topic itself.
From what I'm seeing, the "effective" reply-to for the topic displays in italics, right?

This can lead to some weird behavior: if you have a hashtag with a reply to, setting 'Use Group Reply To Setting' with the dropdown will never 'stick', because the hashtag is forcing a reply to change in the absence of a topic reply to setting. (You can go to the Edit Topics page and remove the offending hashtag if you wish).
I haven't actually tested this, but if an option from the dropdown isn't going to work, wouldn't it make sense to grey it out or something like that?

If you go to the Edit Topic page, the Reply To setting there is the setting for the topic itself, not modified by any applicable hashtags (ie this is different than the dropdown on the /topics page).
I am confused as to how this drop-down setting is different from the drop-down "override" selections in Topics view. Whatever changes we make to the topic reply-to setting via this page will also override any hashtags, right?

This is a bit complicated, I know. Please let me know if you see any bugs or have suggestions for improvements.
You bet. I kinda like this but am curious as to where the notion came from (i.e.: I haven't seen any topics on it here in beta). Good luck writing the documentation!

Regards,
Bruce

Hi All,