Topics

moderated hamburger menu in older browsers #bug

Today the hamburger menu button at the bottom in tablet and mobile modes
stopped working in Palemoon 27.9.4 web-browser
(the latest version available for FreeBSD).

"Your Groups" pull-down menu at the top also stopped working
in desktop and tablet modes.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 8:33 AM Lena <Lena@...> wrote:
Today the hamburger menu button at the bottom in tablet and mobile modes
stopped working in Palemoon 27.9.4 web-browser
(the latest version available for FreeBSD).

"Your Groups" pull-down menu at the top also stopped working
in desktop and tablet modes.

Hmmm. When was the last time that these worked for you?

I don't think I can get that version in a form that works on a mac; I'm having trouble downloading even a current version for mac. Does it have a debugging console? If so, are you seeing any issues in it?

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 07:55 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

When was the last time that these worked for you?
1-2 days ago. The hamburger menu button at the bottom still works in memory-hogging Firefox, but in older Palemoon when I click the hamburger, the icon darkens for a fraction of second but nothing else happens.

I don't think I can get that version in a form that works on a mac; I'm having
trouble downloading even a current version for mac. Does it have a debugging
console? If so, are you seeing any issues in it?
In Tools - Web Developer - Browser Console:

SyntaxError: missing ; before statement application-de39a83e7e7782c474e9982973a5e56e.js:2858:6
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:56:0
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:508:4
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:773:0

A screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/fcdj3dM

Also, on Pending Messages page I put a checkmark at a pending message,
but all the buttons Approve, Edit, Delete
remain unclickable in older Palemoon,
mouse cursor over them is a crossed circle.
In Browser Console then:
SyntaxError: missing ; before statement application-de39a83e7e7782c474e9982973a5e56e.js:2858:6
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:56:0
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:512:4
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:613:1
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:628:1
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:1013:0
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:87:4

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 11:04 AM Lena <Lena@...> wrote:

In Tools - Web Developer - Browser Console:

SyntaxError: missing ; before statement application-de39a83e7e7782c474e9982973a5e56e.js:2858:6

Hmm. It seems to be choking on an extra semicolon after a javascript function. I've removed the semicolon. Please let me know if you're still seeing the problem.

Bob Bellizzi

Possibly it would help if you simply did a mouse over without clicking and then recorded what's the link is in several of the buttons so that Mark could see what wasn't working or what was what

--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 12:56 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

It seems to be choking on an extra semicolon after a javascript function. I've
removed the semicolon. Please let me know if you're still seeing the problem.
Still the same problem. In Browser Console:

SyntaxError: missing ; before statement application-9336bb91ef6bfa190046a92b4ea6ec2c.js:2858:6
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:385:4
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:486:1
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:501:1
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:688:4
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:1011:0
ReferenceError: $ is not defined pending:688:4

Line 385: https://i.imgur.com/MNf1weT.png

Hi Lena,

Can you go here and tell me what it does: http://sole.github.io/test_cases/async_await/

That's a simple test page to see if your browser supports Javascript await/async.

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 06:51 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Can you go here and tell me what it does:
http://sole.github.io/test_cases/async_await/
In Palemoon 27.9.4 it says:
Is async/await supported? NO

In newer Firefox it says YES.
My Palemoon may be not the only browser not supporting this GoogleChrome-takeover feature.
Groups.io web-interface worked without it until few days ago.

I just tried this with my preferred browser and found it does not. Does this
explain why that browser, when I tried yesterday, was unable for the first time
to be able to update an existing file? Clicking on the update link had no
response, but my no 2 browser worked as usual.

Jim Fisher

On 28 Feb 2021 at 8:50, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hi Lena,

Can you go here and tell me what it does:
http://sole.github.io/test_cases/async_await/

That's a simple test page to see if your browser supports Javascript
await/async.

Hello,

Please try it now. I've replaced the async/await code at least for now.

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 11:13 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

I've replaced the async/await code at least for now.
Everything works again, thank you!

Thanks for that prompt response. Yes, it works fine again now.

Jim

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 04:13 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please try it now. I've replaced the async/await code at least for now.
Late to the party but I was also told by a few folks in my ALPS printer group who still use XP on occasion (due to the particular printer driver issues) that Chromium-based older browsers like Chrome and Opera also broke on XP with this async/await code introduction; Firefox worked OK though. The problem they reported (as well to the hamburger) was that clicking their account did not bring the submenu up.  Your replacement restored the functionality for them as well.

Cheers,
Christos