moderated Groups.io Message Editor #suggestion

Jim Higgins

Received from J_Catlady at 9/21/2018 06:10 AM UTC:

Hold on, I'm re-reading the OP and I meant to limit my agreement strictly to private replies. If what's being discussed is showing all the addressees any time the reply is to the group, I think that's a dealbreaker. I'm not sure I understand what's originally being proposed.

Under my feature request, all addresses to which the reply will go would be visible and editable (just deleteable would be adequate since there's no point to being able to edit figleafed addresses) when composing a reply using the Gio web interface. They would be figleafed per the settings the group owner made as regards email addresses being visible. I'd even be OK with ALL reply addresses being figleafed when composing via the Gio interface, regardless of the group owner's settings. In short, I want the option to not reply to addresses that I now cannot even see that I might be replying to.

Jim H

Jim Higgins

Received from J_Catlady at 9/21/2018 03:36 PM UTC:

Are you really proposing to display all 3,000+ or 20,000+ email addresses in those kinds of large groups??? I guess there would be ways of doing it without hogging the screen. But I'm not crazy about the idea, for many reasons. I do think showing the address in the case of private replies would be very helpful.

Aw c'mon! ;-)

Do you really think that when composing a reply that that reply is addressed directly to 3,000+ or 20,000+ individual subscriber addresses? Not likely. It's addressed to the group and Groups.io manages the detailed distribution behind the scenes.

Jim H

Jim Higgins

Received from Toby Kraft at 9/21/2018 05:30 PM UTC:

I agree with J (again)
"Reply to Group" means exactly that. Anything else would seem to be a break in the social contract between groups.io and groups it hosts.

If such a contract exists, then it was broken when the feature request to allow a sender to insert a "Reply-to:" header with an email address not subscribed to the list was granted.

I'm only asking to see this address when replying via the Groups.io interface... figleafed being acceptable.

Jim H

Jim Higgins

Received from J_Catlady at 9/21/2018 04:08 PM UTC:

I also see that you are proposing the list be "editable." I think this is a dealbreaker. It would essentially allow users to pick and choose whom they want to send group messages to, and this is really a whole new feature that does not seem in keeping with the product.

Choosing to not reply to an address someone has inserted via a "Reply-to:" header is - in my opinion - well within the scope of the product. I suppose I could look at the source for every message before replying, but in a group where replies go to the group, if I don't like an added "Reply-to:" address I can't reply to the group (without spawning a new thread) because I can't delete the added address. Editable is a misnomer when it comes to addresses that I said I was OK with figleafing. The only logical edit to a figleafed address is to delete it.

This is why I didn't like the feature that allowed adding a custom "Reply-to:" address... and since that was approved I'd like to see that address if/when it is used... figleafed being OK.

If you want to talk about "in keeping with the product" I think anonymous (invisible) reply addresses aren't "in keeping with the product."

Remember... this only applies to replies made via the Groups.io web interface. For the messages I receive at my home email address... and the messages received by many others at their home email address... we ALL can currently see the full email address of the sender and when replying can see the full reply-to addresses. It's not like refusing this feature request does anything of any real consequence in the realm of security. It's a convenience feature... like some of the ones you've requested that could have been achieved by existing means, but with more effort.

Jim H

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 04:17 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
violates the whole model that groups.io is based on
You're 100% correct.   My point, however, is that this goes back a lot longer than groups.io.   Groups.io is a "new kid on the block" of a medium that's very old (cyber-speaking) with conventions and social contracts that date back to the pre-WWW days.

Like I said of myself earlier:  I was there, so I know.  [Usenet and similar from that area are the Grandparents of the entire milieu].

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Jim,

          It is your original proposal that's senseless.

          On Groups.io, as in any groups software that has a forum interface, your Reply goes back out to the group as the group is formed.  I will admit that I have never used a "Reply to sender" group, but if that's what I'm on I have no reason to believe, if I hit "Reply to Group" under the forums interface that, in that case, it means it will go back to the Sender.

          All of this is, and should be, managed behind the scenes by the group software.  I cannot fathom what your issue is.  You seem to keep proposing solutions in search of problems that don't exist and never have existed.

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 02:16 PM, Jim Higgins wrote:
It's addressed to the group and Groups.io manages the detailed distribution behind the scenes.
Of course. But it was my impression that you were asking the message compose space to display all the email addresses (masked) of everyone the message would go to. Perhaps I misunderstood your ask, but you emphasized "masked." Why would groups.io have to mask the group's own address? So it seemed to me you are, or were, requesting that all the email addresses that the message would eventually go to be shown. If, OTOH, you're just requesting this for private replies, I have no objection, as I've said.

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 02:19 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
this goes back a lot longer than groups.io
yes, totally. i used groups.io as the instance of the model we are discussing, since this is, ultimately, about this particular product. ;p

Toby Kraft

Re: "request to allow a sender to insert a "Reply-to:" header with an email address not subscribed to the list was granted."
I believe you are referring to this change -> https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/23242689#17656,  If so, I don't believe it is germane to your request as this change only applied to mod/owners sending a message to an Announcement Only group in which Reply to Group does not exist.   It's a very narrow use case where the mod/owner forwards a message received from 'somewhere else' and they wish replies to go to 'somewhere else', not to them.  And only applied on messages emailed to the announcement only group, AFAIK.
The social contract of groups.io is still intact as the members of an Announcement Only group do not expect to discuss announcements, only receive them.
Toby

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 02:16 PM, Jim Higgins wrote:
It's not like refusing this feature request does anything of any real consequence in the realm of security.
True. But security is not my complaint about it. It's allowing users to pick and choose whom they send group messages to that's my complaint. (That and displaying 20 K masked email addresses. ;)

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 05:48 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
It's allowing users to pick and choose whom they send group messages to that's my complaint.
And mine.  Groups software has always managed replies such that they go to who they're intended to go to based on the configuration of the group.

If you don't trust that it's going to accurately do that then you had ought not be using it.

This is not new, it's not rocket science, and it's been handled smoothly for decades now.

Toby Kraft

Jim says he wants to see the address that the reply goes to.  No problem.  To the right of the From: add a To: field.
It displays either
a) Reply to Group => the address of the group as in  main@beta.groups.io
or
b) Reply to Sender => the address of the sender of the post being replied to.  (which in the case of an announcement only group could be the Reply-To provided by the mod/owner if they specified a custom Reply-To when forwarding an announcement)
Problem solved.
Toby

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 02:55 PM, Toby Kraft wrote:
Problem solved.
Right. And neither one of those needs to be masked. Obviously, the group address does not need masking. And the private address will be seen, in its entirety, at the request of the sender if they check "bcc me," so masking it is pointless as well.

All,

Moderating this topic as well. Getting repetitive and argumentative.

Mark