moderated Groups.io down for maintenance -- all work is lost! #bug

Andy

I just edited a reply, clicked "Send", and got a message back on my screen saying that Groups.io is temporarily down for maintenance and should be back by 1am Pacific time (which is either 5+ hours ago, or I need to wait another 18 hours until tomorrow).

WTF?

My draft is gone.  There is nothing in Drafts.  I re-loaded and there still is nothing?!?

Pardon my French, but -- WTF?

Andy

Andy

Hmm, I went back a few minutes later, wrote a new reply (trying to remember what I wrote the first time), sent it -- and it worked!

Not only that, but the Draft of my first reply is there, now!

So I guess this was a temporary system FUBAR?

Andy

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 07:09 AM, Andy wrote:
So I guess this was a temporary system FUBAR?
I don't know, but did you get to see the cat pics? :-)

Andy

huh?

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 08:14 AM, Andy wrote:
huh?
Whenever the system is down, rotating cat pics are displayed of the groups.io cats!

Andy

Nope.  Didn't see anything but the short message.

I forgot to grab a screen capture of it.  I was more in a hurry to see if it was really down, and if anything was saved.

Andy

Well, I've just been informed offlist that the cat pics are no longer displayed automatically. :-(

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 8:22 AM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
Nope.  Didn't see anything but the short message.

I forgot to grab a screen capture of it.  I was more in a hurry to see if it was really down, and if anything was saved.

Andy

Peter Cook

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 11:30 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Well, I've just been informed offlist that the cat pics are no longer displayed automatically. :-(
Key features are already being removed?

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 6:56 AM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
I just edited a reply, clicked "Send", and got a message back on my screen saying that Groups.io is temporarily down for maintenance and should be back by 1am Pacific time (which is either 5+ hours ago, or I need to wait another 18 hours until tomorrow).

Sorry about that. What happened was that a large group was sent an email, which is not abnormal. But for some reason, this particular list has a significant percentage of members who run a firewall that automatically clicks all the links in the message. These firewalls receive the message at the same time and then hammer our servers, all at the same time. Somewhat similar to what's called a 'thundering herd' problem in computer science. This trips a failsafe I have and causes our servers to automatically reboot. You got caught in the 10 seconds or so when this happened. Addressing this has been on my TODO list, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Also, I just fixed the error message.

(the cats are still there but you have to click on a link to see them)

Oh, glad the cats are still there! I’m now remembering the button for seeing them. :-)

On Oct 1, 2021, at 9:23 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 6:56 AM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
I just edited a reply, clicked "Send", and got a message back on my screen saying that Groups.io is temporarily down for maintenance and should be back by 1am Pacific time (which is either 5+ hours ago, or I need to wait another 18 hours until tomorrow).

Sorry about that. What happened was that a large group was sent an email, which is not abnormal. But for some reason, this particular list has a significant percentage of members who run a firewall that automatically clicks all the links in the message. These firewalls receive the message at the same time and then hammer our servers, all at the same time. Somewhat similar to what's called a 'thundering herd' problem in computer science. This trips a failsafe I have and causes our servers to automatically reboot. You got caught in the 10 seconds or so when this happened. Addressing this has been on my TODO list, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Also, I just fixed the error message.

(the cats are still there but you have to click on a link to see them)

>>> Whenever the system is down, rotating cat pics are displayed of the groups.io cats!

I learned new today, I didn't know that either, never seen them. (which I guess is good! :)

Sp curious, are they good cats or intransigent ones like the Flickr bad panda?

Cheers,
Christos

They are very good Cats.

On Oct 1, 2021, at 11:46 AM, Christos Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

>>> Whenever the system is down, rotating cat pics are displayed of the groups.io cats!

I learned new today, I didn't know that either, never seen them. (which I guess is good! :)

Sp curious, are they good cats or intransigent ones like the Flickr bad panda?

Cheers,
Christos

Andy

Thanks, Mark.  I guess my timing was perfect.  Perfectly wrong.  :-(

Andy