Topics

moderated Groups.io Allegedly Blacklisted #misc

Chris Jones

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 07:41 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Are the group members showing up as bouncing, or is this invisible?
I can only readily use my own record as a detailed reference, and there were 3 recorded "bounces" this afternoon, but they didn't get me a blue flag. I can find no bounces recorded (for anyone) in my group's activity log for today either. The Owner's Manual does not explain the determination of bouncing status in any detail so looking for a clue there proved fruitless. It may be that as the error code was not the same as a "true bounce" that Groups.io interpreted the return differently.

It's all something of a Black Art... on the plus side my own service provider is passing mails through normally, at least for now.

Chris

Bob Bellizzi

Trulyl no good deed goes unpunished.
Mark, thank you for your hard and unrelenting efforts.
You deserve far more praise than you receive.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Hi All,

On Thursday evening, Spamhaus blocked our main email server for 4 hours. They did so again starting around 12:24am this morning, pacific time. When this happens, the only information I'm given is the approximate time they received a suspect message and that they had received only one message in the 24 hour period.

When this happened on Thursday night, I spent the evening trying to isolate the email address that may have triggered the listing. Given that we send upwards of 17M emails a day, this can be tricky. I came up with a set of possible email addresses. I disabled those accounts, and sent each an email message directly, asking them to verify that they wished to be on a Groups.io email group.

Clearly I did not locate the correct email address, and we were listed again. I'm going through the logs, looking for the needle, but it's challenging. I have attempted to contact Spamhaus. I hope they get back to me.

It appears most places are no longer blocking us because of this listing, although an ISP in Italy is still blocking us.

Unrelated, Charter.net has not been accepting email from our main email server since Friday. I have been trying to contact them.

I'll update when I know more.

Chris Jones

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 05:24 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
We are not currently blocked by them, but it appears that some places cache this.
Just to let you know that BT (a UK provider) now seems to have stopped bouncing Groups.io traffic.

Fingers crossed...

Chris

Are the group members showing up as bouncing, or is this invisible?

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 9:00 AM Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
A group of which I am a member posted a message to say that messages sent by the Group were not being delivered.

Similar email delivery problems have manifested themselves on a group I Moderate, and examination of my own email delivery history shows my service provider bouncing emails from Groups.io because...

mx.lb.btinternet.com: 522 email sent from 66.175.222.12 found on industry IP blacklists (Spamhaus/Invaluement/ReturnPath) on 2020/10/25 15:20:41 GMT. To protect our customers, we use leading industry providers of blacklists to ensure only good senders can send email to us. If believe this is a mistake, please contact them directly as there is nothing our Postmaster will be able to do.

I don't know how many mail service proividers may have acted upon this erroneous blacklisting. FWIW this problem seems to have arisen recently, such as this morning UK time. Other than on the group I moderate my Groups.io activity is via the web UI so I have no means of knowing how widespread this problem might be.

Chris

Paul Evans W4/VP9KF

As you should know by now, the list of 'bad' IP addresses is fetched by e-mail server admins from Spamhaus. The rate at which this is done (under a cron process) is, within reason, as often as they like. In practice the default is often every 24 hours. How long they live in the receiving e-mail server is also set at a decay pace by the admin., so if the timing is just 'right' and addresses are injected while Spamhaus has them 'up', it could take 1-2 days for a server to clear out definitions (often using a TTL algorithm). Unless, of course, an admin manually flushes the cache, although it's normally 'all or nothing' so they must remember to fetch manually from Spamhaus for fear of getting a bunch of real trash thru until the next fetch.

In practice, it'll last as long as it takes. The only thing you can ever do is inform Spamhaus that it's really not correct and make sure it at least cannot be included on the next fetch by any given e-mail server...... It certainly used to run by IP addr., so it's most annoying when used on sources that are using Shared servers or VPSes. That often blocks out many domains!

Chris Jones

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 05:24 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I am investigating this and will report more later this afternoon.
Many thanks for your efforts on a Sunday!

Chris

Hi All,

We were blocked by Spamhaus earlier this morning for a few hours. We are not currently blocked by them, but it appears that some places cache this.

I am investigating this and will report more later this afternoon.

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 12:00 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
we use leading industry providers of blacklists to ensure only good senders can send email to us.
The "leading industry provider" seems to be Sorbs Spam. See https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a66.175.222.12&run=toolpage

Regards,
Bruce

Hmm, apparently soemthing is affot, I also got it from a seanet.com address:

spamtitan.isomedia.com: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [66.175.222.12] blocked using public.isobl.org; see http://antispam.isomedia.com/?ip=66.175.222.12 for more info and to be unbanned

Cheers,
Christos

Dave Sergeant

Quite a few to me have bounced today as well, my mail goes via 1&1
Ionos:

mx00.1and1.co.uk: 554 kundenserver.de (mxeue010) Nemesis ESMTP Service
not available No SMTP service IP address is black listed. For
explanation visit
https://www.ionos.com/help/index.php?id=2425&;ip=66.175.222.12&c=bl

Dave

On 25 Oct 2020 at 8:34, Chris Jones via groups.io wrote:

[...]

http://davesergeant.com

Chris Jones