Topics

groups.io accomodate Meetup groups? #newfeaturesuggestion

Jerry Peek

I'm just joining groups.io to move a few Yahoo Groups here. I'm also a member of a lot of groups at Meetup.com. Since Meetup may shut down if a buyer isn't found, I wonder whether groups.io might be able to pick up a lot of those groups. (Sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched but didn't find it.)

I don't know how much programming would be needed to make groups.io work a lot like Meetup... and I'm guessing that groups.io staff are swamped with the Yahoo Group migration! Groups.io already does a fair amount: group home pages, a calendar, emailed announcements (including ones sent from the calendar), chats, files (for maps, etc.), hashtags, and what else? (I'm new here.) The big missing feature, I think, is the ability to search for groups by location, like (to get started) a ZIP code or postal code. To start, people who search might get a list of all groups -- and look through the list to find ones they're interested in. Eventually, categories etc. would help.

I haven't given this a lot of thought. But I thought I'd mention it. If groups.io is interested in getting the revenue (a Meetup costs the owner more than $200 USD per year), maybe it could be worked in -- even if the setup is less tailored to meetup-type groups than the one at meetup.com?

Bob Buxton

There is nothing to stop a group owner including location information and categories within the group description which is then searchable on the 'find a group page' so is any new function needed?
Just  include  "Meetup Beverly Hills, CA, 90210" along with anything else that is relevant
--
Bob

Jerry Peek

(Since I posted the original question, I see that we shouldn't post new feature requests for now. So here's a quick reply.)

That's true. But people who are nearby -- but not in the same city or zip code -- will have to know to search for "Beverly Hills" or "90210" in addition to their own city name and/or postal code. Otherwise they won't find the group. If groups.io could do a search that matches "near Beverly Hills" or (easier) "near 90210", it would be much more useful as a replacement for Meetup.

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 03:29 PM, Jerry Peek wrote:
That's true. But people who are nearby -- but not in the same city or zip code -- will have to know to search for "Beverly Hills" or "90210" in addition to their own city name and/or postal code. Otherwise they won't find the group. If groups.io could do a search that matches "near Beverly Hills" or (easier) "near 90210", it would be much more useful as a replacement for Meetup.
Yes, I realised after posting that a 'near me' search would require:
  1. A specific field in the group profile to provide the location information, parsing the description would be too unreliable
  2. Geocoding  to convert the location to coordinates
  3. Ne search functions to find groups close to users location
Nothing that is overly complicated but not trivial either
--
Bob

Chris Jones

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 03:29 PM, Jerry Peek wrote:
If groups.io could do a search that matches "near Beverly Hills" or (easier) "near 90210", it would be much more useful as a replacement for Meetup.
There has been something of a "more heat than light" discussion about FInd a Group elsewhere on beta. You can solve this problem yourself, now!

As well as a description of your group on your Home Page try adding some other keywords; they do not need to be woven into the text, but simply added as a line of "Other Keywords"; their visual impact (which for the purposes of a search is irrelevant) can be minimised by using font size 8.  So if, for example, Beverly HIlls appears in the description "proper" simply include "near" as a keyword.

IMHO the Find or Create a Group function is inadequately described at the moment and I am considering preparing a GMF wiki Guide to help. (FWIW I have been unable to find any help about Find... anywhere.)

Whether I do try to put something together depends in part in how much support for the idea I can garner.

Chris

Jerry Peek

Thanks, Chris. I'm not familiar enough with groups.io to know how many people search for a group to join (vs. hearing about the group some other way). I'm wondering whether Groups.io could set up a really easy interface, Meetup-style, for people to create a local group and other people to find it -- without needing to know anything about keywords. The group owner creates a group and gives its location by filling in a few boxes: city, state/province/region, country, postal/ZIP code. Someone who wants to find a group fills in a similar few checkboxes -- and gets a list of groups. Maybe there's also a way to categorize the group -- to help people in big cities to quickly narrow their search.

Since Mark isn't working on new features now, I'll try not to post any more now, but I'd guess that other thoughts could be useful. If Meetup looks like it will really shut down, I hope this archived discussion might help Groups.io set itself up to take Meetup's place. In my two days on Groups.io, I've been really impressed with all of the features... some of them could make a Meetup-type group even more useful than Meetup.com allows.

Jerry

On 11/1/2019 10:54 AM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Barry_M

For what it’s worth, from the business perspective, emulating (or even partnering/collaborating) with meetup is one of a zillion growth avenues groups.io could pursue.

I’d imagine all dependent on however Mark does and will think about the “sustainable business model” objective he has.

Meetup, as a company, has created a real market but hasn’t done as well in commercializing its good idea.  That flip side of the entrepreneurial coin trips up a great many entrepreneurs.

I do think very good and important, at least for the near term, that groups.io’s focus is on strengthening and scaling the current technical foundation to enable the YG transitions and opportunity.  Focus is so key.

Barry

On Nov 1, 2019, at 2:13 PM, Jerry Peek <jpeek@...> wrote:

[...]

I have to weigh in here. To my mind, there could not possibly be a less user-friendly interface than Meetup's. I hate Meetup with a passion normally reserved for Facebook. I find it nearly impossible to search for groups I might actually be interested in, as opposed to being bombarded with groups I have zero interest in, let alone are even within reasonable driving distance of me. By contrast, just a couple of days ago I very easily found three very relevant groups.io groups in my neighborhood by using keywords involving my geographical location and areas of interest, joined one of them, and publicized the other two to my neighborhood block group.

Barry_M

Totally fair and valid opinion about the UI.  Usability and functionality improvement opportunities aside, meetup was acquired by the real estate company WeWork (itself a troubled but huge company) only two years ago (2017) for around USD 200 Million.  With WeWork now under new leadership itself, and trying to stem its own bleeding, meetup.com is on the block but will likely fetch only a small fraction of that previous valuation, if they can sell it at all. The new WeWork leaders, markedly more sober and professional than the former, realized the business model was a challenging one. Hence "not core" as they've announced.

Online group platforms can meet a great many market needs. Deciding whether and how to serve one or more of those markets is best done smartly and measuredly.  Making good decisions on growth bets is key to survival before any thriving.

Barry

All I’m saying, granted in much less eloquent verbiage, is who needs it? 🤪

On Nov 1, 2019, at 7:43 PM, Barry_M via Groups.Io <bmwiner@...> wrote:

[...]

Janis

Not all groups are localized to one zip code. Not all local groups want their location known.
You can search by state, country and abbreviations, county and town name.  If any of those are included in the description they will come up in results. Zip codes would only be searchable if the group owner puts the zip code in the description on the home page for the group.

Most groups at groups.io would not have a zip code or even a specific location.  Some have members from all over the world. My groups have members all over the United States.

If you are looking for a group for your location and interest, for example an archery group in Jacksonville search by town and search by topic.

If there is a group you will find it without needing a zip code.  No way would my groups include our zip codes on s website. We care about privacy of our members.