moderated Gray out option for mods to receive notifications without the corresponding permissions #suggestion

Andy Wedge

Hi J,

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 10:35 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
So Andy, how did you test this and find that notifications are available only if "set moderator privileges" is set? Because I'm seeing otherwise.
From my Owner account, I removed 'Set Moderator Privileges' from my Mod account. I then logged in with my Mod account and the Moderator Notifications panel was no longer accessible/visible in the membership record.  From my Owner account, I checked 'Set Moderator Privileges' again and the Moderator Notifications panel was then visible/accessible again from my Mod account membership record,

Regards
Andy

Actually, never one to believe what someone else tells me without proof, I just logged into a different account which is a mod in my test group but with no privileges. The notification panel was there and all notifications were available to me.

Also, while logged in as myself, I went into the two other groups i'm on a mod in, and in which I definitely do not have "set moderation privileges." Same thing.

So Andy, how did you test this and find that notifications are available only if "set moderator privileges" is set? Because I'm seeing otherwise.

Thanks.

Great, thanks for checking that out.

On Jan 2, 2021, at 1:24 AM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 11:40 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
OTOH after posting this I know only that I, as group owner, can set mods with no permissions to receive the notifications. But I don’t know if the mod themself can opt to receive the notifications. It’s possible they are selectable  by me but not by the mod in their view of their member page. I haven’t tested that yet.
After a bit of basic testing it seems that if a mod has been granted 'Set Moderator Privileges' then they can turn notifications on and off in the Moderator Notifications panel of their membership record. Without 'Set Moderator Privileges' the Moderator Notifications panel doesn't show so they only get what the Owner has set for them.

Andy

Andy Wedge

[...]

I seem to remember (although it may be wishful thinking) Mark making it so that only mods with the corresponding permissions had the options to receive notifications. This was something I requested at one point and I thought it had been changed. But it hasn't. Any mod, with any subset of permissions (including the null set), can elect to receive notifications for anything: pending members, pending messages, etc. Did I imagine the statement about the fix? It's very difficult to traverse all the notification threads at this point.