moderated Gray out option for mods to receive notifications without the corresponding permissions #suggestion

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 05:22 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I just went through the whole sequence again, with the same results.
OK - I can reproduce what you are seeing and I think this is a #bug.  Any permission that gives a Mod access to view the member list can be used to demonstrate this as it gives a Mod two places to look at their details. If a Mod views their own details via the Subscription page then the Moderator Notifications panel is always visible.  If they view their own details via Admin > Members then the Moderator Notifications panel is only displayed if  'Set Moderator Privileges' is checked (along with the Moderator Permissions panel as could be expected).

So, I think the bug is that the Moderator Notifications panel is displayed in the Subscription settings for a Mod when it should only be displayed via Admin > Members if they have been granted
'Set Moderator Privileges'.

Cheers
Andy

YES! (And no;). Yes, I have been talking about the mod's own SUBSCRIPTION page! And you/Chris had been looking at the mod's page in the MEMBERS list. That's brilliant detective work. Yes, it's a bug. But the fix you describe would IMO make things much worse. The mod needs access, at least in part, to their OWN notification options. The problem is that they currently have 100%, no matter what their settings. The fix you describe would give them either 100% or 0%. That's wrong, too.

I draw a distinction between setting one's own notification on the one hand, which is the thing I've noticed is off-base,  and setting other people's notifications, on the other. The mod should have access to notification X if and only if THEY themself have the corresponding permission X - e.g., they should be able to select getting pending message notifications if and only if they have message approval permission. They should be able to set OTHER MEMBERS' notifications only if they have "set moderator privileges" permission. The "set moderator privileges" permission should have nothing to do with their OWN notification options. That's too draconian if turned off based on that variable, and too lax if turned on based on it.

So the member page is behaving correctly. But the mod's own subscription page is not behaving correctly, but not in the way you describe. The request/suggestion (or bug, since as I said, I thought Mark had implemented this already) is that the Subscription page should allow access to the specific subset of notifications for which the mod has corresponding permissions. Currently, all notification options are available to them no matter what, I agree with you there. But the fix is not to turn the whole panel on or off, zero-one, depending on "set moderator privileges" being on or off, as in the Members page. That shold apply to OTHER members, not the mod themselves. The fix is to make the available notifications correspond to the mod's own permissions.

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 06:28 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
And you/Chris
should read "and you (Andy) and Chris"

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 02:28 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The mod needs access, at least in part, to their OWN notification options.
Part of the issue here is that there does not appear to be a direct correlation between the Mod Privileges and the Notifications.  Part of the logic I think you are requesting is in place as if the Approve Pending Message permission is set then the Pending Messages option appears in the Mod Notifications panel (and is removed if the permission is unchecked).  Which notifications would apply though for permission Manage Subgroups (for example) or even Modify Group Settings?

While I can understand the approach you are suggesting, until there is a clear option for an owner to give a Mod the ability to receive certain notifications I think it would be best if they had nothing unless they have 'Set Moderator Privileges'.

Regards
Andy

You’re right that there’s no exact matchup but there is for some of them. However, I don’t think having Set Moderator Privileges unset should deprive a mod of the ability to select which notifications they receive. It seems unconnected. Plus, I could swear that Mark said he’d implemented my suggestion. I need to hunt for the thread. It’s really hard because the whole notifications update thread got ridiculously long and twisted...

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 10:20 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
I think it would be best if they had nothing unless they have 'Set Moderator Privileges'.
After "further consideration" (aka sleeping on it;) I now agree with you that this is the best compromise. So something does need to be fixed here, as you outlined: make the Subscription page for a Mod match their own Member page in the sense that they see the notification options panel if and only if they have Set Moderator Privileges set.