Topics

moderated Gmail.com From re-writing

Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago, Gmail made a change that caused a banner to be displayed above some Groups.io emails, saying the messages may be spoofed. The banner appears for the person who sent the message to the group.

As at least a short term fix, for the messages that we send back to the original sender, I am now re-writing the From address of messages sent by gmail.com users. So, if example@... sends a message to beta, the email that example@... gets back from us will have a From address of example=gmail.com@groups.io. The message we send to the other members of beta will not be affected and will have the original From line.

There's potentially a better fix for this issue that doesn't involve From re-writing, but it requires supporting a new email standard, which will take me some time to implement.

Just wanted to report that I got three of "the big, yellow banners" this morning in Gmail for Group_Help messages (which is one of those low-traffic groups that I actually have set to deliver e-mail to me).  Two of those three were my own responses.

I've started to get the banners again, but only from "bcc me"s in moderator messages to group members. That used to happen before the bad problem started with every one of my own messages, but had stopped at that point. Now it is back, and occurs every time I send a "bcc me" message.

It is not as bad a problem as the other one, so I've ignored it for now.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 7:21 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Just wanted to report that I got three of "the big, yellow banners" this morning in Gmail for Group_Help messages (which is one of those low-traffic groups that I actually have set to deliver e-mail to me).  Two of those three were my own responses.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 7:21 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Just wanted to report that I got three of "the big, yellow banners" this morning in Gmail for Group_Help messages (which is one of those low-traffic groups that I actually have set to deliver e-mail to me).  Two of those three were my own responses.
,

Ugh, for reals? Sigh. Can you verify that the ones that were your own responses had the From line re-written to be from the groups.io domain? Also, the one that was not your response, was that written by a Gmail user?

J,

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 7:44 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I've started to get the banners again, but only from "bcc me"s in moderator messages to group members. That used to happen before the bad problem started with every one of my own messages, but had stopped at that point. Now it is back, and occurs every time I send a "bcc me" message.

We don't re-write the From line of the BCC messages right now, so I'm not surprised you're getting the warning. I should look into that.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 09:42 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
We don't re-write the From line of the BCC messages right now
Mark,

It was odd that the BCC problem stopped right around the time of the From line change - which, of course, fixed the other (worse) problem, but seemed to exacerbate this one. It might have been my imagination.

I meant to say that the BCC problem stopped right around time the other problem started. It was like a teeter totter.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 12:41 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Can you verify that the ones that were your own responses had the From line re-written to be from the groups.io domain? Also, the one that was not your response, was that written by a Gmail user?
The From: field for my own responses shows my Gmail address.  I have checked this via "Show Original" in Gmail's webmail.

The other messages were from a non-Gmail user, and I do not believe these were flagged, but I will not guarantee that.  It's been enough hours between this morning and my seeing this request that I cannot be absolutely sure.  The sender's address ends in .se

Mark,

            I'm hoping the screen shot, which is from my "signature test" topic, showing the flow in Gmail's web interface and the warning banners might be useful.

J_Catlady replied to this topic and because of this I notice a pattern, at least with the content so far:  the banners only appear for messages I send from the Groups.io web interface when they land in my inbox as individual messages.  The ones that I send via Outlook 2016 don't get one.

J_Catlady's reply did not get one, either.  Just curious if that reply originated in e-mail or via the Groups.io web interface?

Brian,
I replied to some of them via email and some via the web. I'm responding now via email. Tell me which one(s) you want to know about (you can give me the first couple of words) and I'll tell you which way I responded.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 8:26 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

J_Catlady replied to this topic and because of this I notice a pattern, at least with the content so far:  the banners only appear for messages I send from the Groups.io web interface when they land in my inbox as individual messages.  The ones that I send via Outlook 2016 don't get one.

J_Catlady's reply did not get one, either.  Just curious if that reply originated in e-mail or via the Groups.io web interface?

J,

        Will look through tomorrow morning.  My brain is fried and, unfortunately, I made the mistake of setting my subscription back to "no email" moments before you sent your prior message.  I have reset it now to individual messages so that I can see if a pattern forms based on "reply from venue" and whether the person making the reply is me or someone else.

         I figure if something emerges it will help Mark figure out what's up with Google and the spoof warning banner.

Brian,

Thanks for the emails. It turns out we were not doing the Gmail From re-writing for accounts that did not have 'I always want copies of my own emails' checked in their preferences, which included you. It should be fixed now.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 09:25 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It turns out we were not doing the Gmail From re-writing for accounts that did not have 'I always want copies of my own emails
I don't understand why you would even need to do that, but oh, well! (???)