Topics

locked Glitch?


Frances
 

Hi

I received two copies of this message. See below. One is time stamped at 3:03 and one at 3:02.

The same thing happened with Duane’s message earlier today.

Frances

Begin forwarded message:

From: D R Stinson <dano@...>
Subject: [beta] Re: Delivery Options
Reply-To: beta@groups.io
Date: January 18, 2015 at 3:01:54 PM EST

I would caution owners about wanting to limit user features to only those they themselves would use. We never know what unique circumstances a group member may have, and what level of technical sophistication they are capable of. I too have a group with a number of older users, and I would never think to assume or limit what they are capable of understanding. I would agree the defaults should be pretty basic, but limiting the user's capabilities might lose you members to frustrations.

As for understanding the different settings and what they mean, isn't that the purpose of the wiki? We've seen the value of such explanations with the wiki that was created for 'neo'.

Dano



 

I thought it was just me! It has happened with most of the messages today

On 18 January 2015 at 20:23, Frances <travel@...> wrote:
Hi

I received two copies of this message. See below. One is time stamped at 3:03 and one at 3:02.

The same thing happened with Duane’s message earlier today.

Frances

Begin forwarded message:

From: D R Stinson <dano@...>
Subject: [beta] Re: Delivery Options
Reply-To: beta@groups.io
Date: January 18, 2015 at 3:01:54 PM EST

I would caution owners about wanting to limit user features to only those they themselves would use. We never know what unique circumstances a group member may have, and what level of technical sophistication they are capable of. I too have a group with a number of older users, and I would never think to assume or limit what they are capable of understanding. I would agree the defaults should be pretty basic, but limiting the user's capabilities might lose you members to frustrations.

As for understanding the different settings and what they mean, isn't that the purpose of the wiki? We've seen the value of such explanations with the wiki that was created for 'neo'.

Dano




 

Frances - That's because I edited the reply to add a word. I like how edited messages show up in message view, but for some, it might be confusing to get a second message only a minute later. Think of this as a test of the system. - Dano


Judy F.
 

Maybe I read it wrong, but I thought it was supposed to say somewhere that the message had been edited????

 

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

 

From: D R Stinson [mailto:dano@...]
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2015 3:35 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: [beta] Re: Glitch?

 

Frances - That's because I edited the reply to add a word. I like how edited messages show up in message view, but for some, it might be confusing to get a second message only a minute later. Think of this as a test of the system. - Dano


 

Judy - It does have an edited button on the right side in the individual Message View and Expanded Message View. - Dano


Frances
 

Yup, see the edited button when I look online.

Probably something that we will get used to!

As you say, a good test.

Frances

On Jan 18 15, at 3:42 PM, D R Stinson <dano@...> wrote:

Judy - It does have an edited button on the right side in the individual Message View and Expanded Message View. - Dano


Judy F.
 

Thanks Dano, but that doesn’t help the messages that come into an inbox, it just looks like it’s a duplicate message. 

 

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

 

From: D R Stinson [mailto:dano@...]
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2015 3:43 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: [beta] Re: Glitch?

 

Judy - It does have an edited button on the right side in the individual Message View and Expanded Message View. - Dano


 

Yeah, I can understand that Judy. I've been doing something I haven't for a while; reading the posts on the web page. I have to say it's enjoyable when it all works without glitches! The result is I didn't read the email posts and missed that detail. Maybe edited posts need an [edited] at the end of the subject in emails? Just a thought. - Dano


Judy F.
 

I think that is a good idea. 

 

Judy

SW Florida - USA

 

From: D R Stinson [mailto:dano@...]
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2015 4:13 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: [beta] Re: Glitch?

 

Yeah, I can understand that Judy. I've been doing something I haven't for a while; reading the posts on the web page. I have to say it's enjoyable when it all works without glitches! The result is I didn't read the email posts and missed that detail. Maybe edited posts need an [edited] at the end of the subject in emails? Just a thought. - Dano


Cacky B
 

I have also been receiving duplicates, but intermittently. It's fairly frequent, but not consistent.
Cacky

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 18, 2015, at 2:23 PM, Frances <travel@...> wrote:

Hi

I received two copies of this message. See below. One is time stamped at 3:03 and one at 3:02.

The same thing happened with Duane’s message earlier today.

Frances

Begin forwarded message:

From: D R Stinson <dano@...>
Subject: [beta] Re: Delivery Options
Reply-To: beta@groups.io
Date: January 18, 2015 at 3:01:54 PM EST

I would caution owners about wanting to limit user features to only those they themselves would use. We never know what unique circumstances a group member may have, and what level of technical sophistication they are capable of. I too have a group with a number of older users, and I would never think to assume or limit what they are capable of understanding. I would agree the defaults should be pretty basic, but limiting the user's capabilities might lose you members to frustrations.

As for understanding the different settings and what they mean, isn't that the purpose of the wiki? We've seen the value of such explanations with the wiki that was created for 'neo'.

Dano



Cacky B
 

Right!
I believe it's still a glitch since it happens often.
Cacky

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 18, 2015, at 3:08 PM, J. Faulkner <jfaulkner44@...> wrote:

Thanks Dano, but that doesn’t help the messages that come into an inbox, it just looks like it’s a duplicate message. 

 

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

 

From: D R Stinson [mailto:dano@...]
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2015 3:43 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: [beta] Re: Glitch?

 

Judy - It does have an edited button on the right side in the individual Message View and Expanded Message View. - Dano


Duane
 

I think there were 3 copies of the message I sent.  It was about 9 am cst.  There was a server problem according to Mark and things stuttered a little.  It's the bug he's been trying to exterminate since Friday.  I got impatient and kept trying to send it, not realizing once would eventually take.


Duane



 

Dano,

That's because I edited the reply to add a word. I like how
edited messages show up in message view, but for some, it might be
confusing to get a second message only a minute later.
Oh, good point.

I agree with you and Judy: the re-send of an edited message definitely needs some kind of marker. Maybe a subject-line tag like [edit] adjacent to the group tag. Maybe a note at the top of the message body, something like:

[Edited message follows.]

-- Shal


 

Hmm I just tried to edit a message and I thought it had taken, but when you look at the message it is just the same

On 18 January 2015 at 23:10, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
Dano,

> That's because I edited the reply to add a word. I like how
> edited messages show up in message view, but for some, it might be
> confusing to get a second message only a minute later.

Oh, good point.

I agree with you and Judy: the re-send of an edited message definitely needs some kind of marker. Maybe a subject-line tag like [edit] adjacent to the group tag. Maybe a note at the top of the message body, something like:

[Edited message follows.]

-- Shal







 

Edited messages now have [Edited Message Follows] prepended to the top of the message. This does not appear in the archives, just in emailed messages.

KnyttWytch, there was a bug that could have caused your edit to disappear. It's been fixed and I apologize for the problem.

Thanks,
Mark

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 2:00 AM, Knytt Wytch <dragonsteeluk@...> wrote:
Hmm I just tried to edit a message and I thought it had taken, but when you look at the message it is just the same


On 18 January 2015 at 23:10, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
Dano,

> That's because I edited the reply to add a word. I like how
> edited messages show up in message view, but for some, it might be
> confusing to get a second message only a minute later.

Oh, good point.

I agree with you and Judy: the re-send of an edited message definitely needs some kind of marker. Maybe a subject-line tag like [edit] adjacent to the group tag. Maybe a note at the top of the message body, something like:

[Edited message follows.]

-- Shal








 

On 19 January 2015 at 18:30, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Edited messages now have [Edited Message Follows] prepended to the top of the message. This does not appear in the archives, just in emailed messages.

KnyttWytch, there was a bug that could have caused your edit to disappear. It's been fixed and I apologize for the problem.

Thanks,
Mark

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 2:00 AM, Knytt Wytch <dragonsteeluk@...> wrote:
Hmm I just tried to edit a message and I thought it had taken, but when you look at the message it is just the same


On 18 January 2015 at 23:10, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
Dano,

> That's because I edited the reply to add a word. I like how
> edited messages show up in message view, but for some, it might be
> confusing to get a second message only a minute later.

Oh, good point.

I agree with you and Judy: the re-send of an edited message definitely needs some kind of marker. Maybe a subject-line tag like [edit] adjacent to the group tag. Maybe a note at the top of the message body, something like:

[Edited message follows.]

-- Shal