Topics

locked Getting copies of the messages you send

Well, apparently not always. LOL  I still have one Yahoo group that always sends me back a copy.

I vote yes, enable for all.

I think it's more of a downside to not have it that way as people keep asking mods if their message went through because they didn't get a copy. The common question is: "I'm getting other people's posts, but not my own. What am I doing wrong?" They tend to assume they're not doing it right or there's something wrong with the list service...at which point they start griping and complaining about the "lousy service."

Trish

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

FYI, Yahoo Groups does exactly what Groups.io does right now. If you use Gmail, for example, and send a message to a Y! Group, you will not receive a copy of that message back in your Gmail.

Mark
_

I've enabled this for the beta group, so people can see how it behaves. So, any message you send to beta@groups.io, you should receive a copy as well.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

I've enabled this for the beta group, so people can see how it
behaves.
Um, really?
I guess it is probably still going to be unique, but no longer unique by construction: roadrunner implausibly could decide to issue some future message with exactly that ID, since as far as they know it has never been used. I thought you would entirely replace the IDs with ones you generate, same as the IDs for posts and replies via the web interface.

Don't know that it is a problem though. And it does alleviate my search concern (since I'll know to leave the "Groupsio.0." part out).

-- Shal

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 02:24 pm, Shal Farley shal@... wrote:

I guess it is probably still going to be unique, but no longer unique by construction: roadrunner implausibly could decide to issue some future message with exactly that ID, since as far as they know it has never been used. I thought you would entirely replace the IDs with ones you generate, same as the IDs for posts and replies via the web interface.

You know, you're right. I do that with edited messages for a specific reason, so that if someone replies to the initial message, and someone else replies to the edited message, I can still do threading correctly. But this is a different case, and .... thinking .... I can't think of a reason not to generate a completely unique message-id (excepting your ability to find messages....) So I've changed it.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

I guess it is probably still going to be unique, ...
You know, you're right.
Where'd the lt...gt delimiters around the Message ID go in message #1437?

They are still there in the `text/plain; markup=markdown` part of the message body, but not in the `text/html`.

So Markdown mistook those angle brackets for part of an HTML tag, and failed to escape them? I'm almost surprised the whole email address didn't disappear (as if it were an unsupported tag), as I've seen happen in Yahoo Groups.

Looks like something needs some character escapes, at least for Markdown replies. But I wouldn't want to see them converted to HTML character entities in the Markdown text - that way lies madness for all the email clients and services that don't support the markdown parameter.

Maybe I should just avert my eyes when this stuff happens...

-- Shal

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 01:19 am, Shal Farley shal@... wrote:

Where'd the lt...gt delimiters around the Message ID go in message #1437?

They are still there in the text/plain; markup=markdown part of the message body, but not in the text/html.

It converted it to a link. There's a rule about allowing some types of inline HTML. It may have thought that was what was happening. Or the part that tries to create links out of things that it thinks should be links may have done the deed (the library I'm using is https://github.com/russross/blackfriday if you're curious.

Mark

Mark,

It converted it to a link. ...
Or the part that tries to create links out of things that it thinks
should be links may have done the deed ...
Hmm... If the linkifier took them maybe that's actually appropriate: they served their express purpose in delimiting the span of text to linkify and I shouldn't expect to see them in the rendered HTML.

Sorry for the needless confusion.

-- Shal