From: Mark Fletcher
Sent: Wednesday, 28 January 2015 15:53
To: beta@groups.io
Reply To: beta@groups.io
Subject: [beta] Getting copies of the messages you send

All,

It sounds like many people want to have the messages they send to groups show up in their mailbox. Should I enable that for all groups and all users? Can you see any downside with doing so?

Thanks, Mark

On 1/28/2015 7:53 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It sounds like many people want to have the messages they send to groups
show up in their mailbox. Should I enable that for all groups and all
users? Can you see any downside with doing so?
I suspect that anyone who is used to any listerver
other than LSoft is going to expect it. I don't
know of any way to turn it off on Yahoo or Google,
and I *think* I remember that it's possible with
MailMan, but none of my Y refugees wanted it
implemented if so. LSoft has "noack" - it's not
your message but an acknowledgement that your
message made it, as well as the other setting that
lets you not see your own posts, and it was a
subscriber option, not a list option. Can't remember
with Lyris either - but again I never implemented
it when I was using a Lyris server, so the only list
I don't see my own messages on is the old PSU list
running on LSoft (I think it was the default in 1989
when I joined that list!).

Which is a very long way of saying - I don't see any
downside.

dg

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 8:19 AM, <robertgmam@...> wrote:
Yes please, Mark. It's what I'm used to with Yahell.

FYI, Yahoo Groups does exactly what Groups.io does right now. If you use Gmail, for example, and send a message to a Y! Group, you will not receive a copy of that message back in your Gmail.

Mark

Mark,

It sounds like many people want to have the messages they send to
groups show up in their mailbox.
They already do for me. ;-)

And likewise I'm sure for anyone not using Gmail in the default way, or like-minded services.

I'm not currently using Gmail for any groups, but when I do I retrieve the messages through an email client, and with the "Recent:" modifier on my User Name (which, among other things, ensures that I get my own messages back).

Should I enable that for all groups and all users?
That would mean replacing the Message-ID on every message sent through Groups.io (as opposed to "only when edited")?

Can you see any downside with doing so?
Apart from those (and there no doubt are those) who are accustomed to and prefer not receiving their own back, replacing the Message-ID on all messages makes me nervous. But that may only be because I'm not accustomed to it - I don't immediately see a serious downside.

It does mean that a reply that I receive as both CC and via a group will have different IDs, which will mean that I won't find one or the other when tracking down the reference for a message when someone doesn't include any context quote. But I'll still find one of them so I don't see the problem.

-- Shal

Mark,

FYI, Yahoo Groups does exactly what Groups.io does right now. If you
use Gmail, for example, and send a message to a Y! Group, you will
not receive a copy of that message back in your Gmail.
It is a bit of semantics, but important to note: Gmail does receive your massage back (in both a Y! Group and Groups.io), but Gmail chooses not to show it to you in your inbox. I think you can see it in the "All Mail" box, and of course if you POP or IMAP from Gmail into an email client.

-- Shal

Hi Mark,
I use  Windows Live Messenger and wouldn't trust anything Google further than I could throw it, so not a problem for me; I just wanted to be reassured that we wouldn't lose it.

Regards,
Robert.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the O2 network.
Yes please, Mark. It's what I'm used to with Yahell.

FYI, Yahoo Groups does exactly what Groups.io does right now. If you use Gmail, for example, and send a message to a Y! Group, you will not receive a copy of that message back in your Gmail.

Mark

Laurence Taylor

On 28 Jan 2015 15:53, Mark Fletcher wrote:

It sounds like many people want to have the messages they send to
groups show up in their mailbox. Should I enable that for all groups
and all users? Can you see any downside with doing so?
Yes please. No, I don't see any disadvantage with it; people who don't
want to see what they wrote can always add a filter. I suppose you could
make it switchable as I mentioned before, but I've never actually come
across anyone who specifically wanted not to see their own post through
the relay.

--
rgds
LAurence

It's inconvenient - it's another message in my inbox that I've got to archive. I suppose it has some advantages in that I can search my email and search all messages that I've posted, but if I really had to do that, I'd probably search Groups.io instead.

David P. Dillard

I fully agree. Due, for me, to our dear friends at Google, I need to to all over the web and waste substantial time to make sure my posts have cleared on discussion groups I post to and the like.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584