Force actual download of CSV member list from "Download" button #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- Something funny has arisen with the Member List download function (not the group export).

When I click on the "Download" button, it still displays the member list in CSV format just fine. But when I right-click on the display and select "Save as," the resulting document now contains the page source, not the list (see attachment). I could have sworn this approach used to work before...

This is using the latest version of Chrome (Version 100.0.4896.127, 64-bit). Others have reported that Firefox can still save the page and get the right content, but...

Could we also somehow add the new "download" attribute to this function, thereby forcing a download? When I click a Download button, I expect a download to happen...having text displayed in my browser window instead is disconcerting and requires several additional steps to actually get the desired CSV file.

Thanks much,
Bruce

On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 4:37 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Mark -- Something funny has arisen with the Member List download function (not the group export).

When I click on the "Download" button, it still displays the member list in CSV format just fine. But when I right-click on the display and select "Save as," the resulting document now contains the page source, not the list (see attachment). I could have sworn this approach used to work before...

I've switched the Content-Type for that page from text/plain to text/csv. Which is what it was at some point long ago, but changed for reasons I don't remember. It really should be text/csv, and that should cause the behavior you're looking for.

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 01:53 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've switched the Content-Type for that page from text/plain to text/csv.
Much more intuitive, thank you!

Which is what it was at some point long ago, but changed for reasons I don't remember.
There's some discussion here ( https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/140012#3477 ). Sounds like the main concern may have been line termination (Windows vs Mac/Unix).

Thanks again,
Bruce

Christopher Warrington

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 10:53 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote: > I've switched the Content-Type for that page from text/plain to text/csv. > Which is what it was at some point long ago, but changed for reasons I > don't remember. It really should be text/csv, and that should cause the > behavior you're looking for.

There are a few more knobs too, if they're helpful, the help convince browsers to download instead of render:

--

Christopher Warrington